Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Toddler in your Georgetown?

Our little guy has started to walk all over the place and needed to find a fix for the big drop on the steps. I ended up using a piece of plywood covered in carpet with a frame underneath to hold it in place.

I wish FR would have installed some sort of cover that slides out for that area.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

nice mod for Kids and Adults. I could see me falling in that hole after a few too many beers....ouch

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Always Learning

I missed where you first said "with a frame underneath to hold it in place" and was thinking, "that needs some kind of pegs or something to keep it from sliding sideways".

Good stuff. Mind sharing a picture of the bottom?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Nice Mod! Bet (WC Fields) would have a Better answer though! Youroo!! Now you have to cover the elec.switches!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Nice Mod! Bet (WC Fields) would have a Better answer though! Youroo!! Now you have to cover the elec.switches!
Oh, you are right. He is going to be turning on and off all those switches. He used to set off the LP alarm on our old TT all the time.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

I think I like that for me!
Lori
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
nice mod for Kids and Adults. I could see me falling in that hole after a few too many beers....ouch
True, true, it's also a mod for us drinkers.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I missed where you first said "with a frame underneath to hold it in place" and was thinking, "that needs some kind of pegs or something to keep it from sliding sideways".

Good stuff. Mind sharing a picture of the bottom?
To be honest I could have done a better job but needed something quick since we are heading out camping today. I could have done a cutout for the step's handrail so that the board fits flush against the screen door. There is a gap there, but the good thing is that it's a good place to grab it when you remove it.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
To be honest I could have done a better job but needed something quick since we are heading out camping today. I could have done a cutout for the step's handrail so that the board fits flush against the screen door. There is a gap there, but the good thing is that it's a good place to grab it when you remove it.
Looks good enough for me. Nicely done.

I'm lucky that most of my monitors are behind a door that little man hasn't decide he can open yet. However, our 3rd gray tank's monitor is all out by its lonesome self. He likes to push "his button".
Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

The wife's idea for covering the hole was to throw some pillows or a comforter...really? LOL
Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
The wife's idea for covering the hole was to throw some pillows or a comforter...really? LOL
Some Frog members use it to throw thier Beer cans in! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Some Frog members use it to throw thier Beer cans in! Youroo!!

Funny!
Lorigirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Moreau Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
Nice modification. We've been thinking of doing the same in our Georgetown to prevent our little ones from falling down that hole.
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Moreau View Post
Nice modification. We've been thinking of doing the same in our Georgetown to prevent our little ones from falling down that hole.
Thanks, the only problem is having to remove it every time you need to go out. I wish it was automatic kind of like the stairs.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #15

Looks like a good idea for the toddler. However, have you ever wondered why there are no seats in front of an overwing egress window on an aircraft? Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Looks like a good idea for the toddler. However, have you ever wondered why there are no seats in front of an overwing egress window on an aircraft? Just a thought.
What does an aircraft emergency exit has to do with this?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks, the only problem is having to remove it every time you need to go out. I wish it was automatic kind of like the stairs.
JUMP!

Quote:
What does an aircraft emergency exit has to do with this?
I think the concern is that during an emergency, it's something that you have to move/remove before you can get out, thus taking an extra second. IMO, the answer is the same as above... JUMP!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
JUMP!

I think the concern is that during an emergency, it's something that you have to move/remove before you can get out, thus taking an extra second. IMO, the answer is the same as above... JUMP!
Doesn't make sense to me. In an emergency...lets say the coach rolls over, that board will no longer be there. Let's say there is a fire, open the door and jump out. I can keep going, but I don't see the extra second being an issue, but I do see an issue with a little one falling in that hole and breaking something.

You are comparing apples and oranges with the aircraft analogy.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Doesn't make sense to me. In an emergency...lets say the coach rolls over, that board will no longer be there. Let's say there is a fire, open the door and jump out. I can keep going, but I don't see the extra second being an issue, but I do see an issue with a little one falling in that hole and breaking something. You are comparing apples and oranges with the aircraft analogy.
I was more thinking of the camper being parked and say a fire inside basing you out. At the end of the day, the open the door and jump is still a viable solution, though getting to the door handle could be awkward if you normally go down steps to open it.

And, it wasn't my analogy- just trying to help clarify the statement.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #20

Quote:
I was more thinking of the camper being parked and say a fire inside basing you out. At the end of the day, the open the door and jump is still a viable solution, though getting to the door handle could be awkward if you normally go down steps to open it.

And, it wasn't my analogy- just trying to help clarify the statement.
Lets say there was a fire at the stove and we are in the back sleeping. The alarms would go off and at that point I grab the kids and jump out of the emergency window at the rear. If there was smoke and you'd want to go out of the door, you'd have to crawl anyways and the door handle would be at eye level.

Tags
georgetown