Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
Georgia Gets Around

Toilet Bowl won't hold water

We got home from our trip to discover that suddenly the rear toilet bowl won't hold water. We need to get that fixed before putting it into storage. Has that happened to any of you? I read one thread that said their bowl needed to be reseated due to being out of alignment. Anything is possible I suppose - especially with the roads we traveled on.
Any other suggestions? I have searched for an hour now and would like to get started! Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

It depends on the model you have.

Check the seal around the flush valve/blade. It's either loose or has come off.

Mel
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

I have had the same issue on my older trailer a 2010 Cougar. It turned out that the rubber seal was cut when the toilet bowl was cleaned or the tear was already there and cleaning the bowl jut made it worse. Also sometimes debris will get underneath the rubber seal and the plastic flapper allowing water to drain. So check this first.

I needed to replace the rubber seal and then the bowl would hold water. I purchased a seal on line from a parts dealer for my brand of toilet; replacement was easy .
Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Should have nothing to do with mounting the toilet. There is a rubber seal on the bottom of the bowl that rubs against the flapper to seal it. Hold the flap open and run a toilet brush around the bottom of the seal. Then boil up some water and pour it into the toilet. Let it sit for awhile. Next after that has cooled a bit, run your fingers around the seal and press it into place against the flapper to re-seat it. If you don't wear gloves for this don't lick your fingers when done...I got this info from the manual for my toilet, well most of it. It has worked every time...
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #5

X2
IT has happened to me a few times over they years.
Happens when I use a toilet brush and may unseal the rubber seal.
Like GOTOYS says grab some gloves and put your hand down the hole and run finger around the inside edge while pulling up.
Go all the way around the seal.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #6

If there is nothing physically wrong with the seal, its most likely just junk stuck on the seal. I have had success with vigorous cleaning with a toilet brush. If that , or one of the suggestions above doesn't work, make a cleaning tool by bending 1/4 inch of a coat hanger 90 degrees. Use this to scrape the sealing side of the gasket all the way around

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #7
Mature Citizen

Flapper

That happened to mine. The flapper had come out of one side of the pedal. All it took was putting it back, and paying for the guy to come out and do it.

Darlene, Ralph and Pippin
LTC (USA Retired), W7TLD
2023 - 199 days, 6966 miles
2013 - 2019 - 901 days & 37171 miles
2013 Georgetown XL 378 TS, 2014 Honda CRV
downeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #8

I tried the below advise and it worked for me the frist time.

"I heated two cups of generic vinegar in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. This warm solution is poured into the toilet bowl. The warm vinegar will slowly seep out of the area that is not sealed. Allow the vinegar to soak on the leaking seal for about 30 minutes.
It will dissolve any remaining lime, sediments, tissue, etc., making a good seal. Turn the water on and check to see if the unit now holds water.
You may need to repeat the process several times depending on the amount of sediment around the seal area. Others add a small amount of 303 to lubricate the flush mechanism and the seal. Vaseline is not recommended since it may damage the seal over a period of time."

Good luck
grouchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Toilet seal

I replaced mine with 1 I bought online! Easy job!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Happened to me. I shut off the water and cleaned both sides of the seal with a soapy rag. No more problem.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeyr View Post
That happened to mine. The flapper had come out of one side of the pedal. All it took was putting it back, and paying for the guy to come out and do it.
Same happened to me last year. An extended family member had camped with us when it happened; never asked how she managed to do this. Easy fix. No problems since.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #12

That very same thing happened to us. I researched and found a Utube video. Our toilet is a dometic. There are two pivot points on the ball and one side had come out. We had to remove the seal and push the pivot back in place. Then with the ball closed, replace the seal. Worked like a charm. Hoping this helps!
Clemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #13

I take an old toothbrush with soap and water to clean the seal. Tie a string on toothbrush handle in case you drop it. It seems to work for me. Good idea on the vinegar. I may try that next time.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

Go On YOUTUBE

Same think happen to me, I went on Youtube. Easy fix by Entertainment if it is a Dometic. I just push handle to lower flapper, Removed Gasket and cleaned it, put Petroleum Jelly around it, and reinstalled. Two minute job. Took care of problem Make sure water is turned off.
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeyr View Post
That's what happened to me but I fixed it myself in 30 seconds. Tried all the other solutions but no go because the ball valve popped off its hinge mount.

Put a glove on, turn off the pumps. then push on the pedal
to fully open the ball valve.

Look inside to the right and left to make sure the the ball hinge did not slip off its mount. Now reach in and snap it back in place. You're done.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
Same think happen to me, I went on Youtube. Easy fix by Entertainment if it is a Dometic. I just push handle to lower flapper, Removed Gasket and cleaned it, put Petroleum Jelly around it, and reinstalled. Two minute job. Took care of problem Make sure water is turned off.
Never ever put petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on any rubber gasket, it eats the rubber. Best to use a silicone grease.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #17

Broken plastic

I know it sounds dumb. But the plastic piece that closes and opens when you flush may be cracked. My wife let her foot off the flusher and the toilet flap slammed closed and cracked. It was a hairline crack and only visible when i had it half opened. But the water would not stay in the bowl. Worth a look
waynebas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #18

I have had that same problem. If you cannot get the seal clean or if it is torn then you will have to pull the toilet and install a new seal. It is not a tough job although not always pleasant.
otisite2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #19

Common issue, easy fix. I followed very similar advice already posted. Clean and wipe the seal check the grove. I happened to be at the RV store and decided to buy seal re conditioner. I used that and it was fine.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
I take an old toothbrush with soap and water to clean the seal. Tie a string on toothbrush handle in case you drop it. It seems to work for me. Good idea on the vinegar. I may try that next time.
Or if it's been a bad bad trip use DH's toothbrush lol.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water