Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #61

Gray to Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
And none of the RVIA, NFPA affects the owners responsibility, especially of any pre-code issuance. These are for the manufacturers and not necessarily code requirements for them, only recommendations and an attempt to get an industry to standardize different things.
FR stopped the unsanitary use of Grey and Black tank mixing and cross contamination. Some older units still may have some grey water dump into black.

I love these discussions! Cold ones and some peanuts!
I suppose the OP could make things simpler by simply making sure the outlet cap is on tight and then opening both black and gray valves. That would transfer some gray water to the black water tank.

When hooking up the hose, just hold it beneath the outlet while removing the cap to catch the pint or so of water held between the valves and cap.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #62
NXR

Quote:
Not a good idea to have anything cross connected to the black tank unless there were a control valve that could be shut off.
I read one post where the person said they carry a five gallon bucket and drain some grey water into it. They then pour the bucket into a toilet to balance the tanks manually.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I read one post where the person said they carry a five gallon bucket and drain some grey water into it. They then pour the bucket into a toilet to balance the tanks manually.

Ray
If the gray water is in a bucket, why not just . . . . trip.
Just sayin'.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #64

Quote:

Ray
Or in the woods,... on the ground
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #65

So back to OP... to have bathroom sink drain to black tank,,,,, would mean 2-4 gallon over a period of 3-6 days falling to his black vs grey tank. Insinificantvolume as far as creating additional dump frequency. BUT.... whatever makes you happy. Not a significant issue
Old 08-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #66
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
If the gray water is in a bucket, why not just . . . . trip.
Just sayin'.
I usually wear sandals.

Ray
Old 08-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #67

Or cracking the greay dump valve just prior to turning in for the night.... problem solved.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #68

I had commented on another post about a recent stay in an Ohio state park. It had three or four dish washing pedestals scattered around our loop. After carrying a couple five gallon buckets of grey water to a pedestal one morning I walked across the road and into the woods to hike. Guess where all the common drain pipe water from the pedestals was going? Yep, right under the road and down the hill into the woods. A lot closer to me than the walk to the closest pedestal.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
Maybe normal . . but I'm getting this fixed. I guess the Navion was designed more for boon docking where you were conserving water. We never get sewer hookups and depend on the some grey capacity. We've filled the grey tank twice already being fairly conservative with water. Of course that was before I knew the bathroom sink drained there too.
Before you go to all that trouble, I would verify personally that your tanks are 42 gallons a piece. It’s been known that the wrong tanks have been installed before. Or maybe you could put in a bigger gray tank. On my 2nd forest river rockwood I increased the fresh water tank from 30 to 80. I did this myself as I didn’t think the dealer would.
Cheeselog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #70

Black vs Gray!

Actually our Forrest River Surveyor 310 has 2 gray water tanks, 1 for the bathroom(shower/sink) and 1 for the kitchen sink. Black water tank is strictly for the toilet! That's the normal...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #71

My Montana has 2 gray and 2 black ~~ all 40 gallons. The water from the clothes washer goes into the 1/2 bath black. Now that is weird and a pain!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #72

I have never heard or seen any trailer that anything other than the toilets drain in to the black tank.

Having gray drain in too would sure cause the tank to fill up quickly.
calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #73

I have seen where the bathroom sink drains to the black to increase capacity, but when you are partied for a week I would like as much black capacity as I can get!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #74
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I have seen where the bathroom sink drains to the black to increase capacity, but when you are partied for a week I would like as much black capacity as I can get!
You must be a lot younger than me. There's no way I could party for a week anymore and fill up the black tank from it. That must smell awful.

Ray
Old 08-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #75

To save on grey tank space my DW uses a dishpan to do the dishes. Dishwater gets tossed outside at the best spot available, usually the street in front of the camper, or behind it. Same practice as tent campers. Near the end of our stay, she will take the last couple of dishpans full of water and Dawn and dump them down the toilet you have added liquid in the tank before dumping.

We use very little water when using the shower, my guess is less than a gallon per shower. Washing dishes is where we seem to use the most water, even when we concentrate on using paper. I am also one that believes grey dishwater and shower water are both much cleaner and safer to the environment than something so simple as washing my car, or, washing my motorhome.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #76

Quote:
You must be a lot younger than me. There's no way I could party for a week anymore and fill up the black tank from it. That must smell awful.

Ray
Ughhh! Again with a typo and autocorrect. That was supposed to be parked! I agree, nearing 50. While I can still party, I take naps in he middle of the day now to prepare for nighttime partying. LOL

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
In our 2007 Navion, the toilet and bathroom sink both drained to the black tank. I know by code, the toilet and one other drain can (and should) drain to the black tank. I failed to ask about this when shopping and at PDI and just assumed the bathroom sink in our GT5 also drained to the black tank. It turns out that was a poor assumption. I couldn't figure out why we kept filling the grey tank when we have 10 more gallons than we had in our old motorhome.

IMO, it is poor design not to have one other drain to the black tank. It is nearly pointless to have a 42 gallon black and 42 gallon grey tank given that is the case. I know we will certainly flush with a lot more water than we have been to get enough liquid in the black tank for proper dumping. This fall, when we go back to the dealer I'm going to have them see how hard it would be to re-plumb the bathroom sink to the black tank.
Why would you want to do that?You would get all the stench into your bathroom.Just think about it,everytime you washed you would smell poop.Thats the reason they separate the tanks.
Kamper Kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Kruzer View Post
Why would you want to do that?You would get all the stench into your bathroom.Just think about it,everytime you washed you would smell poop.Thats the reason they separate the tanks.
The sink should have a P-trap in the drain. Just like your house. You shouldn't smell anything.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank