Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Ours is going on two years old & no issues yet ..... Our dealer suggested not to leave it outside in the winter months, so we bring it in & use it in our guest bedroom. Have no idea if he knew what he was talking about but it made sense & couldn't hurt. TVs are made to get warm but not made for sub freezing temps real bad to turn them on while below freezing til after they warm up to room temp. ????? Its just what the dealer told us...

Is yours installed in a cubby hole like ours? Never heard of freezing temps damaging them. I can understand if they still had vacuum tubes that need to warm up though. The only thing I can think of is that if you turn it on during freezing temps it could build condensation.

It may be true, I don't know. However, there is one thing I know and that is that you cant trust a salesman. They'll tell you anything that they've heard even though they haven't verified it themselves. Including that a 351DS gets 14mpgs. LOL

Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #12

Exactly right...condensation is the enemy when you start up a cold LCD TV. They need to be in an environment that is over 40-50 degrees for operation.
Storage recommendations vary by brand, but I am unaware of ANY brand which cannot be stored down to around 0 degrees F.
So...good rule of thumb is to take the TV in for the winter if you get below zero nites in the winter and don't operate until you've warmed up the room and allowed the unit to come to room temp.
As an example...here is what Samsung says. The surprising thing to me was the limitation on HiGH temperature storage. How many store their units in Florida or AZ sunshine without AC??

"
Samsung LCD TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50 F to 104 F (10 C to 40 C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your LCD TV.
Samsung LCD TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4 to 113 Fahrenheit (-20 to 45 Centigrade). Storing your LCD TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV."

Old 05-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Is yours installed in a cubby hole like ours? Never heard of freezing temps damaging them. I can understand if they still had vacuum tubes that need to warm up though. The only thing I can think of is that if you turn it on during freezing temps it could build condensation.

It may be true, I don't know. However, there is one thing I know and that is that you cant trust a salesman. They'll tell you anything that they've heard even though they haven't verified it themselves. Including that a 351DS gets 14mpgs. LOL
It is built into a cubby but we found after most of the first season that it was on a swing arm but we have not used it that way a whole lot as it can be run into easily due to its location.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Exactly right...condensation is the enemy when you start up a cold LCD TV. They need to be in an environment that is over 40-50 degrees for operation.
Storage recommendations vary by brand, but I am unaware of ANY brand which cannot be stored down to around 0 degrees F.
So...good rule of thumb is to take the TV in for the winter if you get below zero nites in the winter and don't operate until you've warmed up the room and allowed the unit to come to room temp.
As an example...here is what Samsung says. The surprising thing to me was the limitation on HiGH temperature storage. How many store their units in Florida or AZ sunshine without AC??

"
Samsung LCD TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50 F to 104 F (10 C to 40 C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your LCD TV.
Samsung LCD TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4 to 113 Fahrenheit (-20 to 45 Centigrade). Storing your LCD TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV."
When our RVs have gone into hibernation we have never turned the TVs on until they come out. Probably why we've never had a problem leaving them in the RV.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
It is built into a cubby but we found after most of the first season that it was on a swing arm but we have not used it that way a whole lot as it can be run into easily due to its location.

Yours may be sitting farther away from the wall and may have better ventilation. Ours has no room to breathe.