Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #1

Toshiba TVs Burning Up

Please post if you are having issues with your living area Toshiba TV.

Everything was fine and all of the sudden lost the picture. Could not get it to do anything with the remote, only sound was coming out. Had to unplug/plug it to get it to come back on.

It seemed everything was fine until I ran auto scan for air channels and none were found. I knew there was a problem since we have camped in the area several years with 10+ air channels.

Before checking into the amp and antenna I decided to unplug the coax from the TV since it had earlier issues. Sure enough all channels came back.

Now I need to figure out how to get it replaced. I believe the issue is with the fact that the TV doesn't have adequate ventilation and it's burning up.

Not sure if I have to take it up with Toshiba or Forest River. I haven't checked the paperwork for warranty details. Someone mentioned that it was 90 days, in which case, I'm out of luck.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

I'd take back to the Forest River Dealer. Your dealer will get a new TV from Forest River for you, if required. Forest River needs to handle this so they have the opportunity to document a possible problem with this Toshiba model. If there are others having the same problem then FR would have the documentation to break it off in Toshiba's butt. If it is a ventilation problem then it would absolutely be Forest River's problem. One they need to fix.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

The original owner of my Georgetown had the Toshiba TV replaced, although I do not know the specifics. I found paperwork that the TV had been replaced, and the owner's manual that came with the Georgetown was for a different model Toshiba.

So far, it continues to work well, but if it ever fails I would replace it with a much more efficient LED/LCD television.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

That's the problem. We refuse to go back to the dealer we purchased it from and it's not close by The dealer that's closer to us has no interest in helping out because we didn't buy it from them.

Now, the statement below is directly from the Toshiba's manual.

[Always leave a space of at least 4 (four) inches around the TV. The slots and openings are provided to protect the TV from overheating and to help maintain reliable operation of the TV.]

The TV sits recessed into the wall and with less than 1" on each side, and less than 2" on top and bottom. Everything works fine with the TV, but the minute you install the coax cable it jacks up the signal for all other TVs. It must be internally shorted or something in the input board.

I'm hoping to hear from other members before presenting the case with FR. I may get more replies in irv2 though.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Mine 'burned up' the end of last summer. I replaced it with a 32" Samsung LED. The only downside is that the Toshiba was a 37" and the Samsung is smaller. I had plenty of ventilation around the unit. The tv would turn on, then go off. I figured it was toast.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

Suggest you contact Toshiba directly as they have a standard 1 year warranty which you can access here.
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...168010_web.pdf

Excerpt of Exclusions:
What Does this Limited Warranty Not Cover?
Service made necessary by accident, misuse, abuse, neglect, improper installation/maintenance, modifications, fire, theft, acts of God, power failures,
surges or electric shortages, lightning, or repairs by non-Toshiba authorized service providers, use outside of the environmental or operating parameters, or use with incompatible third party products
Two things can happen:
1. Toshiba will fix or replace the set OR tell you how to solve the problem at your end.
2. Toshiba will tell you that the product is installed incorrectly and that their warranty is invalid.

If #2...you now have written evidence to pass to Forest River that THEY are responsible for the problem....and they should fix it.
Either way... you get the problem fixed.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Suggest you contact Toshiba directly as they have a standard 1 year warranty.
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...168010_web.pdf

Exclusions:
What Does this Limited Warranty Not Cover?
Service made necessary by accident, misuse, abuse,
neglect, improper installation/main
tenance, modifications, fire, theft, acts of God, power failures,
surges or electric shortages, li
ghtning, or repairs by non-Toshiba au
thorized service providers, use
outside of the environmental or operating parameters
, or use with incompatible third party products
Two things can happen:
1. Toshiba will fix or replace the set OR tell you how to solve the problem at your end.
2. Toshiba will tell you that the product is installed incorrectly and that their warranty is invalid.

If #2...you now have written evidence to pass to Forest River that THEY are responsible for the problem....and they should fix it.
Thanks, makes sense. I'm also going to have to replace the mounting bracket. There is plenty of room for it to stick out a lot more. If this heating issue is just a TV glitch then no problem. However, if I'm not the only one, then FR needs to come up with a solution as the same thing could happen to the next TV.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Instead of replacing the TV mounting bracket, you may be able to re-use the original bracket and just bolt a 1 or 2 inch thick piece of wood behind the wall side of the bracket to extend it out a little further to increase the ventilation.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Instead of replacing the TV mounting bracket, you may be able to re-use the original bracket and just bolt a 1 or 2 inch thick piece of wood behind the wall side of the bracket to extend it out a little further to increase the ventilation.
That is a great tip. I think that with a tilt mount would do the trick. That way I can sit in the Euro chair with a better viewing angle. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

Ours is going on two years old & no issues yet ..... Our dealer suggested not to leave it outside in the winter months, so we bring it in & use it in our guest bedroom. Have no idea if he knew what he was talking about but it made sense & couldn't hurt. TVs are made to get warm but not made for sub freezing temps real bad to turn them on while below freezing til after they warm up to room temp. ????? Its just what the dealer told us...

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Ours is going on two years old & no issues yet ..... Our dealer suggested not to leave it outside in the winter months, so we bring it in & use it in our guest bedroom. Have no idea if he knew what he was talking about but it made sense & couldn't hurt. TVs are made to get warm but not made for sub freezing temps real bad to turn them on while below freezing til after they warm up to room temp. ????? Its just what the dealer told us...

Is yours installed in a cubby hole like ours? Never heard of freezing temps damaging them. I can understand if they still had vacuum tubes that need to warm up though. The only thing I can think of is that if you turn it on during freezing temps it could build condensation.

It may be true, I don't know. However, there is one thing I know and that is that you cant trust a salesman. They'll tell you anything that they've heard even though they haven't verified it themselves. Including that a 351DS gets 14mpgs. LOL
Old 05-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #12

Exactly right...condensation is the enemy when you start up a cold LCD TV. They need to be in an environment that is over 40-50 degrees for operation.
Storage recommendations vary by brand, but I am unaware of ANY brand which cannot be stored down to around 0 degrees F.
So...good rule of thumb is to take the TV in for the winter if you get below zero nites in the winter and don't operate until you've warmed up the room and allowed the unit to come to room temp.
As an example...here is what Samsung says. The surprising thing to me was the limitation on HiGH temperature storage. How many store their units in Florida or AZ sunshine without AC??

"
Samsung LCD TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your LCD TV.
Samsung LCD TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° Fahrenheit (-20° to 45° Centigrade). Storing your LCD TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV."
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Is yours installed in a cubby hole like ours? Never heard of freezing temps damaging them. I can understand if they still had vacuum tubes that need to warm up though. The only thing I can think of is that if you turn it on during freezing temps it could build condensation.

It may be true, I don't know. However, there is one thing I know and that is that you cant trust a salesman. They'll tell you anything that they've heard even though they haven't verified it themselves. Including that a 351DS gets 14mpgs. LOL
It is built into a cubby but we found after most of the first season that it was on a swing arm but we have not used it that way a whole lot as it can be run into easily due to its location.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Exactly right...condensation is the enemy when you start up a cold LCD TV. They need to be in an environment that is over 40-50 degrees for operation.
Storage recommendations vary by brand, but I am unaware of ANY brand which cannot be stored down to around 0 degrees F.
So...good rule of thumb is to take the TV in for the winter if you get below zero nites in the winter and don't operate until you've warmed up the room and allowed the unit to come to room temp.
As an example...here is what Samsung says. The surprising thing to me was the limitation on HiGH temperature storage. How many store their units in Florida or AZ sunshine without AC??

"
Samsung LCD TVs can operate safely in rooms or areas in which temperatures range from 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside the listed range will negatively affect the operation of your LCD TV.
Samsung LCD TVs can be stored unused at temperatures ranging from -4° to 113° Fahrenheit (-20° to 45° Centigrade). Storing your LCD TV at temperatures outside this range can damage your TV."
When our RVs have gone into hibernation we have never turned the TVs on until they come out. Probably why we've never had a problem leaving them in the RV.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
It is built into a cubby but we found after most of the first season that it was on a swing arm but we have not used it that way a whole lot as it can be run into easily due to its location.

Yours may be sitting farther away from the wall and may have better ventilation. Ours has no room to breathe.