Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #1

TOTAL Newbie to RVing

I am a TOTAL newbie to the RV lifestyle and jumped in by purchasing a 2014 Georgetown 270SS last week. Went through the initial inspection with the tech who showed me what was what and how to use it. Stayed at the KOA next door for 2 days so I can get an idea of parking into a campground space, setting up the RV, hooking up hoses, and running components inside. I have CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) at times, so I need to physically practice the processes of set up and tear down. Just wondering if someone had a list of (recommended) steps to follow from the point of parking the RV at the campground to tearing it down at the end of my stay. I am a vertically challenged, female Army vet who will more than likely be traveling with just my dogs. Thanks in advance for your advice! I'm learning a lot by reading through this forum!
lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

Here is a good one:

Campground Set-up 101 - RV UNIVERSITY
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

Also here is a video call drivers confidence course.
https://youtu.be/4CeThR_A4VI

If you have never driven a large vehicle like this it should be helpful.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
There's a lot of young folks that also have CRS, and work hard at improving it.......just take your time and it'll get easier as time goes on.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

I have very detailed checklists for setting up and tearing down "camp." Also for prep steps before leaving home. I compiled the lists from many sources on this forum and the Internet. I'd be glad to share but they are files on my computer and I don't know how to do that here. If anyone knows of a way to privately share email addresses here, I can email them to you.

Awesome! I just figured out how to send email messages to members on this forum, so no one needs to take the time to tell me how to do it
Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

RV Checklist is a free download. It has a Departure checklist 85 items, an Arrival and Setup checklist 66 items and a Camping Preparation 10 items checklist in it. I downloaded from the Android store.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
It is a good one...but I would move the step about testing the electricity voltage and polarity to the very first thing you do when you get to your site.

No sense doing all that work (unhitching, leveling, etc.) only to find out that the electric is bad and you have to move. I don't even turn my truck off until I know the electric is good!
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
jkoenig24

Welcome lludvig! You've found a great resource.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees RV Club runs a great weekend Boot Camp. There are other folks offering Boot Camps as well. At Escapees, over a weekend you and ~200 other "newbies" with receive a comprehensive education on all the systems found on a modern RV. Mistakes with RVs are usually expensive and sometimes dangerous. It will be time and money VERY well spent and, upon completion, you will be a safer, more knowledgeable RVer. Escapees also host many forums covering the gamut of RV topics. Membership currently costs about $40 / year and includes a printed full-color magazine (I believe there are six issues / year). Again, WELCOME!
John
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #9

Thank you all for the great input on resources that are available to me. I appreciate you all taking the time to post!
lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

Camperone

A friend of ours has a Georgetown about the size of yours and if you have driven it much you already know this , the big truck are rough on you when passing , just hold on to it they well blow your Georgetown pretty good ! And always pay attention to the wind warning out west . We've only been doing this about four years and the experienced RVer's have helped us a lot and you well meet the nicest and most helpful people in the camp grounds ! And don't be shy they love to talk lol stay safe and enjoy this wonder gypsy life we do !
camperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

Welcome

to the world of glamping This was our first motorhome after two travel trailers and it was a slightly painful learning curve but totally worth it. Let us know of you adventures.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #12

We are newbies in a 378TS never had an RV never camped. We bought it and never even practiced camping we are now 10 weeks into our cross country trip. 5600 miles under our belt. The above about the winds in the west are very true be very careful we hit several cross winds on our journey from Orlando, Fl to California. Semi trucks bounce you around a little and when they come up beside you you will feel the push as they make their way to the front of the RV. Always be on the look out for cars that feel they can pull out in front of you thinking you can stop on a dime. Take the time to read about mountain passes on how to climb and descend using your Tow Haul mode. One last item remember to check the waste hose twice that it is not going to come off the coupling. No further explanation needed.
Wolfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #13

Good luck. Keep an eye on your hydraulics hoses. Under the stairs. I had major issues on my first trip. Be safe
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #14

Dad dip we also on our unit had massive hydraulic issues. Major ram seal blowout.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #15

[QUOTE=Wolfee;929978]Daddio. we also on our georgetown unit had massive hydraulic issues. Major ram seal blowout all fluid drained from the system.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

Cheap plastic hoses,
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags