Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #1
TOTAL Newbie to RVing

I am a TOTAL newbie to the RV lifestyle and jumped in by purchasing a 2014 Georgetown 270SS last week. Went through the initial inspection with the tech who showed me what was what and how to use it. Stayed at the KOA next door for 2 days so I can get an idea of parking into a campground space, setting up the RV, hooking up hoses, and running components inside. I have CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) at times, so I need to physically practice the processes of set up and tear down. Just wondering if someone had a list of (recommended) steps to follow from the point of parking the RV at the campground to tearing it down at the end of my stay. I am a vertically challenged, female Army vet who will more than likely be traveling with just my dogs. Thanks in advance for your advice! I'm learning a lot by reading through this forum!

lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Here is a good one:

Campground Set-up 101 - RV UNIVERSITY

2014 Georgetown XL 352QS
2013 Days Camped-10 (in a rental)
2014 Days Camped-52
2015 Days Camped-53

2016 Days Camped-32
chrisbailey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Also here is a video call drivers confidence course.

If you have never driven a large vehicle like this it should be helpful.
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
There's a lot of young folks that also have CRS, and work hard at improving it.......just take your time and it'll get easier as time goes on.
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
I have very detailed checklists for setting up and tearing down "camp." Also for prep steps before leaving home. I compiled the lists from many sources on this forum and the Internet. I'd be glad to share but they are files on my computer and I don't know how to do that here. If anyone knows of a way to privately share email addresses here, I can email them to you.

Awesome! I just figured out how to send email messages to members on this forum, so no one needs to take the time to tell me how to do it
2014 Georgetown 329DS
CindyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
RV Checklist is a free download. It has a Departure checklist 85 items, an Arrival and Setup checklist 66 items and a Camping Preparation 10 items checklist in it. I downloaded from the Android store.
Frank & Brenda
TT- 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS 50th Anniversary
TV- 2010 Suzuki Equator RMZ4
TST 507 Tire Monitors
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
It is a good one...but I would move the step about testing the electricity voltage and polarity to the very first thing you do when you get to your site.

No sense doing all that work (unhitching, leveling, etc.) only to find out that the electric is bad and you have to move. I don't even turn my truck off until I know the electric is good!
Pete & Laurel
Peachtree City, GA
2012 Surveyor SP280
2007 Ford F-150, 4.6L V-8
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Welcome lludvig! You've found a great resource.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees RV Club runs a great weekend Boot Camp. There are other folks offering Boot Camps as well. At Escapees, over a weekend you and ~200 other "newbies" with receive a comprehensive education on all the systems found on a modern RV. Mistakes with RVs are usually expensive and sometimes dangerous. It will be time and money VERY well spent and, upon completion, you will be a safer, more knowledgeable RVer. Escapees also host many forums covering the gamut of RV topics. Membership currently costs about $40 / year and includes a printed full-color magazine (I believe there are six issues / year). Again, WELCOME!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #9
Thank you all for the great input on resources that are available to me. I appreciate you all taking the time to post!
lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #10

A friend of ours has a Georgetown about the size of yours and if you have driven it much you already know this , the big truck are rough on you when passing , just hold on to it they well blow your Georgetown pretty good ! And always pay attention to the wind warning out west . We've only been doing this about four years and the experienced RVer's have helped us a lot and you well meet the nicest and most helpful people in the camp grounds ! And don't be shy they love to talk lol stay safe and enjoy this wonder gypsy life we do !

camperone is offline   Reply With Quote