Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Angry TOTALLY STUCK SLIDE on Georgetown

Well folks I believe this is a new challenge. My bed slide totally froze as I was opening it. Now totally froze isn’t something new however this is what makes it more interesting. One side was working fine but the other didn’t budge leaving me with one side out about 12” and the other tight against the coach. During this exercise the wood trim around the slide on the inside wedges against the window valance to the point it was crushing it. I ended up ripping this trim off but the slide would not budge. Now here is where the story gets more interesting. The model I have (31L5) doesn’t have space on the sides of the slide to reach and release the motors. On top of that because it’s a 2018 model there is no “button” on the slide module to reset the system. So here I am, one side wants to go out only, the other won’t move at all, no module to reset, no ability to reach the motors to release and manually push slide straight so off to the RV repair shop and $150 per hour to get it fixed. Anyone ever experience this and if so what did you do to get it back straight?
Grillmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

I thought Georgetown's had hydraulic slides, but if I'm reading your post correctly, sounds like you have Schwintek slides?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
NXR

TOTALLY STUCK SLIDE on Georgetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I thought Georgetown's had hydraulic slides, but if I'm reading your post correctly, sounds like you have Schwintek slides?

Our 2020 GT5 has the electric (Lippert) Power Gear SlimRack system on its three slides.

There is no easy way to move them manually. You need to locate the motor behind a vertical seal on each side of the slide and then lift the motor out. That frees up the mechanism and then you can put a socket in where the motor came out and crank forever. At least if I’m reading the manual correctly.

I have no idea how to even get to the motors. It might require a removal of the slide seal.

At least the controllers are easy to get to. Each slide’s controller is screwed to the ceiling of the basement compartment underneath the slide behind a plastic cover.

Ray
Old 01-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Our 2020 GT5 has the electric (Lippert) Power Gear SlimRack system on its three slides.

There is no easy way to move them manually. You need to locate the motor behind a vertical seal on each side of the slide and then lift the motor out. That frees up the mechanism and then you can put a socket in where the motor came out and crank forever. At least if I’m reading the manual correctly.

I have no idea how to even get to the motors. It might require a removal of the slide seal.

At least the controllers are easy to get to. Each slide’s controller is screwed to the ceiling of the basement compartment underneath the slide behind a plastic cover.

Ray
Yes, I found that location out the first day after I cut the wiring harness. I found online a manual that tells you how to reset it. But I drove it back to my dealer with the rear slide out and let them fix it.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Yes, I found that location out the first day after I cut the wiring harness. I found online a manual that tells you how to reset it. But I drove it back to my dealer with the rear slide out and let them fix it.
How far did the slide stick out? If more than an inch or so I'd be too concerned about the stress being put on the wall structure to do that. That's a pretty big lever if it was all the way out.

Ray
Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #6

Totally stuck slide on Georgetown

Well here was the BIG dilemma. My bed slide went out a foot on one side and never moved on the other. I could find no possible way to get to the motors. NONE. You are unable to reach the motors from the inside and with the slide in on one side there is no way to reach from the outside. I took it to General RV in Ocala FL and they somehow fixed it. Have to say this shop is fantastic. Someday I’m going to ask them how they did it but haven’t had time to yet. Oh, $600 later it works perfectly. UGH ������ can you move the slide with the crank out mentioned that is under the slide behind the plastic cover even with the motors attached?
Grillmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
How far did the slide stick out? If more than an inch or so I'd be too concerned about the stress being put on the wall structure to do that. That's a pretty big lever if it was all the way out.

Ray
The bed slide only goes out about a foot. The bed is the bigger lever.

The big slide is more like 3 ft. Not only wouldn’t I drive it with that one out but it wouldn’t fit through my gate.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
bed slide went out a foot on one side and never moved on the other.
We looked at two brand new Winnebagos last year, a Vista LX35F and an Adventurer 35F at a different General RV. On both of them, both of them!, the bedroom slide had one side move and the other did not.

The first time the salesperson jammed the slide just as happened to yours. The second time he was watching for it and stopped the movement before the slide jammed. Both times the rear part moved and the front part did not (both Schwintek movements).

The salesperson said their service department would not repair the slides until we purchased it. I said I was not going to buy something that was broken. He said they don't do the PDI or service until a unit is purchased. I asked how I could do a test drive with a slide sticking out several inches and he shrugged his shoulders and said they all drive fine. We bought elsewhere.

So from that time on I've always closely watched each slide going in or out and stop at any sign of sustained asymmetrical movement or weird noises.

Our bedroom slide actually was binding and moving asymmetrically and catching up because of carpet staples that had not been put all the way down. I refused acceptance until it was fixed because of what I'd seen.

Ray
Old 01-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #9

Our 2018 Georgetown has the cable slides. I always keep an eye on my slides when operating them, if something doesn't seem right STOP immediately! Why would you continue to run the slide 12" if one side wasn't moving?
H3OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
NXR

I do not know about the OP but I can only see the very rear part of my bed when running the slide. The control panel is in the middle of the coach but on the same side as the slide and on a wall that is parallel to the rear of the coach. It's a two-person job to watch it fully. If I were by myself I could never extend or retract it without just hoping all is well.

Ray
Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillmate View Post
Well here was the BIG dilemma. My bed slide went out a foot on one side and never moved on the other. I could find no possible way to get to the motors. NONE. You are unable to reach the motors from the inside and with the slide in on one side there is no way to reach from the outside. I took it to General RV in Ocala FL and they somehow fixed it. Have to say this shop is fantastic. Someday I’m going to ask them how they did it but haven’t had time to yet. Oh, $600 later it works perfectly. UGH ������ can you move the slide with the crank out mentioned that is under the slide behind the plastic cover even with the motors attached?
I can tell you but it will cost you another $600.lol
Next time ask them before you pay.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, slide