Old 02-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
toolman_57

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I am sure I will be argued with... But I'd run it all the time. The RV is a highly refined and aerodynamic Ferrari pushing through the head winds... NOT

I'd run it all the time just because you are "hauling" a 26,000lb brick on the roads.
x2. I do run it all the time--it makes braking much easier when someone cuts in front of you or stops suddenly. I very rarely drive without something in tow as well.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

To me it is tow and or hauling mode... You are "hauling" a house.... I found it kept the trans cooler on the heavy-duty trucks and they did stop better, even without a load. Because a truck with tools is now hauling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

Here is a document that I retrieved from the Ford Seminar we had during the 2015 Goshen FROG Rally.
You won't find much more about the Tow Haul Mode anywhere else.
Very informative paper on how to use it and what it really does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Branson 094.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	98785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Branson 095.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	98786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Branson 096.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	98787  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #14

Great info thanks

2014 Georgetown XL 378
Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #15

I have the engine braking on my TV. I use both and the braking is great. On my 2001, I used the Tow/Haul mode to help with braking when I wasn't pulling the 5er. I do the same with this one. It doesn't matter how fast you're going to engage it but you will get used to the speeds where it engages.. Mine has it's own computer, so to speak. It's the TCM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Site Team

Tow/Haul switch

One thing I've learned in the several tow/haul threads on this forum over the past months is that 'not all tow/haul functions are created equal." People will post "your tow/haul causes your truck to _________" and it may not. Tow/haul function may not work exactly the same from one year GM to another - never mind across 4-5 model years - never mind across truck manufacturing lines. My advice is to do what Iggy did. Get the exact explanation for your own truck. People post "your T/H switch turns off overdrive" (see Iggy's myth pamphlet) but mine doesn't. I have a 6-speed auto in which the two top gears are overdrive gears. With T/H on or off, my truck uses all 6 gears if other parameters allow.

That said, if I'm towing anything, my T/H is on. Mine (maybe not yours) is electronic and sets programming in the Transmission Control Module (TCM mentioned above). If I'm towing on a long flat stretch, I don't turn it off because no transmission shifting is occurring; therefore, it has no effect (on mine). It doesn't wear out anything. I have no fears of turning it on or off at any speed.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #17

Your rig is a 2014, probably a 2013 chassis. The engine and transmission are TOTALLY controlled by the computer. And this includes the TOW/HAUL mode. All you can do is turn on or off the T/H switch. If, let's say, you turn on the T/H switch then the computer checks all parameters of the engine and transmission and the COMPUTER will determine if things are safe. Another example. Let's say you are going down a hill with the Cruise Control and T/H on. The COMPUTER will downshift the transmission as it determines there is a requirement to slow the rig down to maintain the speed you have selected by the Cruise Control. The COMPUTER will not allow you to hurt the engine/transmission. The systems are completely different than what was a T/H of years gone by. If I have the toad on the back I run with the TOW/HAUL on all the time. And here is where a lot of folks differ with me: it does not bother me to have the engine turn upwards of 5500 RPM after the computer controlled downshifting when climbing and descending the larger hills because that's where the horsepower is. The computer will not allow you to hurt the drivetrain. Let her sing...she loves it!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

It is unnerving but the higher rpms do get the power.. I hated using my cruise control because of that high revving.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Your rig is a 2014, probably a 2013 chassis. The engine and transmission are TOTALLY controlled by the computer. And this includes the TOW/HAUL mode. All you can do is turn on or off the T/H switch. If, let's say, you turn on the T/H switch then the computer checks all parameters of the engine and transmission and the COMPUTER will determine if things are safe. Another example. Let's say you are going down a hill with the Cruise Control and T/H on. The COMPUTER will downshift the transmission as it determines there is a requirement to slow the rig down to maintain the speed you have selected by the Cruise Control. The COMPUTER will not allow you to hurt the engine/transmission. The systems are completely different than what was a T/H of years gone by. If I have the toad on the back I run with the TOW/HAUL on all the time. And here is where a lot of folks differ with me: it does not bother me to have the engine turn upwards of 5500 RPM after the computer controlled downshifting when climbing and descending the larger hills because that's where the horsepower is. The computer will not allow you to hurt the drivetrain. Let her sing...she loves it!

Everything you shared makes sense and pretty much what I thought. It's great to hear other opinions.

I do believe my chassis is a 2014. It was a left over and we purchased her this past August.

This is a loaded question but I wonder how much fuel economy you give up by keeping her in the Tow/Haul position. Not like these Coaches get great mileage (6.5 to 7.5 is the best I've gotten).

Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2012 Jayco Eagle Supe Lite 308 RETS (Seasonal Site)
2013 Jeep Rubicon with Mods..
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It is unnerving but the higher rpms do get the power.. I hated using my cruise control because of that high revving.

I anticipate the hills. Bump the cruise up a couple mph as you get close to the hill and then as you go up it, bump it down a 3-4 mph. It will pick up some speed before the hill and drop a bit of speed as you go up the hill, but if you time it right, you won't shift gears. At the top of the hill, bump it back up to your original speed.

My biggest problem is getting distracted and not bumping it up in time.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote