Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Originally Posted by georgetown50 View Post
So if my car doesn't show up on the list of towable cars, then it can't be towed in any fashion? What about with a dolly?
Check your owners manual on towing four down. I have a 2012 Civic automatic which is not towable this way. I have a dolly for it. I am currently changing to a vehicle which is towable four down.

2012 Gerogetown 337XL
Tow Dolly

DW of 24 Years.
Hope to meet you on the trail.
ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
I have been towing a 2000 Honda accord for 4 years and 17,000 miles. I believe the transmission was changed in 2005 and those and newer cannot be towed 4 down. I believe Civics are the same basic set up.

Following is the procedure I found on line and have been using. Note the red printing. My late brother was a Honda Mechanic and he pointed that out as well.

Dear customer:
Regarding your inquiry on towing your Honda or Acura automobile behind a motorhome:
For your vehicle, the Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 mph or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because Honda has not conducted formal tests at higher speeds and for greater distances.
We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by motorhome towing of Honda/Acura automobiles with either manual or automatic transmission, so long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.
are turned off.

Automatic Transmission

When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill.
If Honda/Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:
Start the engine.
Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off engine.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.
If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures.
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (1) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle.
Severe automatic transmission damage will occur if the car is shifted from reverse to neutral and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
We tow 4 on the ground Honda it. Hook up in 5 minutes

We traded in a Lexus 330...which was tough to do, but we enjoy the FIT

Bryan, Vonnie & Pepper
2012 378 Georgetown

Sent from my iPad
Bryan & Vonnie Marhiesen
" just us
Our son, Chad, was killed by a drunk driver in August 2008. We adopted his black lab, Pepper, who was our life saver. Pepper went to live with her Daddy in December 2014!
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We also tow a Honda Fit with a Ready Brake and Ready Brute Tow bar. The 2015 Fit has a different transmission and will no longer be able to be towed.
2012 Georgetown 378TS Fire Mist
2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake™ Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Four the last 4 years we had been using a dolly pulling a Toyota Solara. Every single time, I swore I would never do it again. The tie down ratchets for the front wheels were a terrible pain and always left me exploring the finer portions of my vocabulary.

What made it worse was that our used 373 came with a Blue Ox tow bar that I couldn't use with the Solara and I didn't want to purchase a new vehicle.

Well, the Solara finally was showing it's miles and I couldn't bear the thought of using the dolly on our upcoming vacation, so two days before we were to leave, I bit the big one and bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and had a base plate and wiring harness installed.

It was the best move I have made yet! A half-hour to 45 minute car loading time with the dolly was reduced to 10 to 15 minutes with the Blue Ox Tow Bar! No more sweating and wearing tire dirt from being in parking lots putting the tie downs around the tires and running the remote magnetic backup lights! I absolutely love it!

Where we once would never unhook the car at the campgrounds we stopped at along the route, we now take off the Jeep and explore the area.

I must however agree with one comment in another post. I chose the Blue Ox Patriot braking system due to the time constraints of our vacation schedule. It is wonderful in the respect of no additional expense for permanent installation, and it can be hooked up in a matter of 5 minutes, but it also is a pain to take in and out of the seat area and store when not in use, especially if you're only disconnecting for a short trip to town or a restaurant. We had a minor problem with error codes at one point on this trip, but it was quickly fixed by stopping and resetting the unit. It worked great through the mountains on the way up north.

Another strangely wonderful thing. I get better gas mileage pulling the Jeep 4 down than pulling the dolly and Solara 2 down. From Florida to Indiana I averaged just under 8 miles per gallon! I couldn't believe it!

Go 4 down! You'll LOVE it!

BTW, anybody want to buy a used Tow Dolly? LOL!
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
I have agree with others 4 down is the only way to go. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze with a manual transmission and only have to remove 4 fuses to tow. It takes 5 min or less to hook up or disconnect. There were a lot of upset GM owners when they made the change for the automatic transmissions, lucky I was up to date with things and read about it on the forums, before I purchased.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
Rxfiller what kind and how much?

gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote