Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #21

Putting a Jeep on a tow dolly is like taking a shower with your shoes on! A waste of time!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #22

2/3 of Liberty's sold are front wheel drive only. Try to tow one of those 4-wheel down.

Before you beat someone up, find out what they have!

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
2/3 of Liberty's sold are front wheel drive only. Try to tow one of those 4-wheel down.

Before you beat someone up, find out what they have!
Then why would you drop the rear drive shaft? Inquirying minds want to know.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #24

Tow dolly is cheaper, requires no vehicle modifications, has lights and brakes, battery won't be dead after the drive, you can back up with a dolly.
Half the tire wear, because half the tires are touching the ground.
Easily change towed vehicle.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #25

How is a tow dolly cheaper? it takes at least 3 times as much time to hookup and many RV parks we've stayed at can't handle the dolly at the slot. It is much less convenient than flat towing. I'm hooked up ready to go in less than 5 minutes and unhooked in less with no stowing of the dolly. By the way the cheapest quality(trust worthy) dolly I've seen is over $2k I have much less than that in my tow setup bought new. If you don't own a Class A you have no dog in the fight and cannot discuss from an actual view point. Towing a trailer does not give you any experience to be giving advice to people who do. Please give advice where you have experience and not opinions where you don't. We are trying to be helpful to people who have questions on towing behind a Class A not a trailer.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #26

He never stated what he had, 4-WD or 2-WD.

I'm not interested in a pi**ing contest here; just stating what I know about Libertys.

I have a friend with a 2wd Liberty, and it would require a dolly.

It took me about two hours to install the Blue Ox tow bar stuff on my '05, and I'm keeping until it, or I die(s)!

I also tow my 1989 Wrangler 4-down.

I towed a Nissan Altima for one trip on a dolly, and sold the dolly. You're dirty and tired before you get out of the campground.

Gimme my Jeeps!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
How is a tow dolly cheaper? it takes at least 3 times as much time to hookup and many RV parks we've stayed at can't handle the dolly at the slot. It is much less convenient than flat towing. I'm hooked up ready to go in less than 5 minutes and unhooked in less with no stowing of the dolly. By the way the cheapest quality(trust worthy) dolly I've seen is over $2k I have much less than that in my tow setup bought new. If you don't own a Class A you have no dog in the fight and cannot discuss from an actual view point. Towing a trailer does not give you any experience to be giving advice to people who do. Please give advice where you have experience and not opinions where you don't. We are trying to be helpful to people who have questions on towing behind a Class A not a trailer.
Plus the extra weight. I'd like to see an average driver back up a tow dolly. It would be like pushing a rope. Someone must be selling dollies?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #28

Towing jeep liberty

To the op.

Jeep offers several different 4wd systems.

Some can be, some can't.

Which one do you have?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

I could see doing either way. The simplest and the cheapest in the long run would prob be the flat tow. If you are not sure if you can check your manual I am sure it will be in there.

Flat towing will need you to get a tow bar and supplemental braking system which will prob run you the cost of a dolly. Trailer would be much more. Here in PA the dolly and trailer would need a registration as trailers and be inspected so that is another $75 every year (here in PA). The benefit to the trailer or dolly, anything can be towed. I flat towed my JEEP to and from the trails, problem being if I broke something and the JEEP could not roll I was stuck.. But that is outside the scope of what you would be doing, most likely.

It seems they are getting harder to find cars that can be flat towed (although my 2500 can?!? Weird) so that might not be an issue depending on what you are in the market for. Either way I am SURE you will be able to sell the flat tow setup if you find you cannot flat tow the next TOAD.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Tow dolly is cheaper, requires no vehicle modifications, has lights and brakes, battery won't be dead after the drive, you can back up with a dolly.
Half the tire wear, because half the tires are touching the ground.
Easily change towed vehicle.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

You are out of your league. Do you post bogus advice just to bring up your post count? C'mon man, stick to what you know. Don't give advice that you obviously know nothing about.

Tags
towing