Old 12-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Towing with 31B3

Im going to test drive a gt3 31b3 on friday. My question is the hitch is only rated for 5000#. I tow a trailer maybe 1000 miles but the weight is right at or around 5000#. I see the Thor series which is the same frame has an 8000# hitch. Im getting a good deal on this and I wouldn't mind upgrading to class 4 hitch. How does the MH do on hills? My kids race cars and I have to stop paying for hotel bills. I do have torsion bars on my setup now. Any feedback?

2017 Georgetown 31B3
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
StevieFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
It is very important that you compute the towing capacity of the coach.
Just because it has a high rated tow capacity on the hitch does not mean the coach can safely tow that much due to differences in frame design, brakes, transmission, suspension, etc.
Initially subtract the GVWR (RV weight loaded) from the GCWR (RV plus tow vehicle) and you will get a close idea of how much your RV can safely tow.
If the numbers are even close to being overweight, run them across a scale to be sure. Pulling more weight on a frame or hitch than it is designed for is dangerous. Supplemental braking is also a must.
As for power, the Ford v-10 can pull a combined weight of 28000# on mountain roads with no problem as long as the RV is designed to do so.
I have a 337 with a Gross Combine rating of 26000, my RV loaded is 20000
and I pull 5600#. All weights have been verified on a scale and I drive on mountain roads regularly with no problems, but I did a Five Star tune last year for a little more power. I also had to do a hitch upgrade as the stock hitch was rated at 5000 lbs and my tow vehicle is a little over that.
Good luck
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote