Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

As stated the flow through do stick out a little more, however I went with them do to the ease of checking and adding air.

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #12

We have the flow-thrus and are happy with them. They are larger and more noticeable but the usability outweighs the looks and size for us.. No matter which ones you get, one-piece metal valve stems are highly recommended.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #13

I got the system with 6 flow-through sensors for my motorhome and later bought a package of 4 non flow-through sensors to use on my toad. I definitely like having the flow-through sensors on the motorhome. The non flow-through sensors are easy to take off and on...you just need to keep the removal tool handy. I only keep the toad sensors on when we are actually on a trip.

When I installed the flow-through sensors on my 19.5 inch motorhome wheels, I needed to add short angled valve extensions on the front wheels so the sensors would stick just a little out of the wheel simulator holes. My rear inner wheels had flexible braided stainless valve extensions. I added a stabilizer bracket (~$10) so the sensor wouldn't flop around with the added weight on the end of the extension.
Houston, Texas
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #14
Site Team

Well, where do you live, where do you travel, when do you travel? The reason I ask is that we live in Minnesota, travel to the Gulf Coast, in April. Spend a month and then go back to MN.

So what you say? I start with my tires properly inflated for about 10 degrees. By the time we get to warmer weather, I need to bleed the tires to avoid over inflation. Then when we come back, I need to add air again. Kind of a PITA because I don't have flow throughs.

Also, I also get to re-winterize my trailer along the way back as we can easily get lot of below freezing weather in May! Sad I know . .

HA!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #15

I have the flowthrough sensors on my Georgetown. The sensors are just the right size to make filling the front tires easier because the sensor does stick out a little form the rim. I haven't had any problem with the weight of the sensor but I do have metal valve stems.
BTW, my wheels came with weights on them from the factory.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Well, where do you live, where do you travel, when do you travel? The reason I ask is that we live in Minnesota, travel to the Gulf Coast, in April. Spend a month and then go back to MN.

So what you say? I start with my tires properly inflated for about 10 degrees. By the time we get to warmer weather, I need to bleed the tires to avoid over inflation. Then when we come back, I need to add air again. Kind of a PITA because I don't have flow throughs.

Also, I also get to re-winterize my trailer along the way back as we can easily get lot of below freezing weather in May! Sad I know . .

HA!

If you inflate your tire (cold) at home before your trip lets say to 60psi.
During your trip on the road tires psi will automatically increase depending on the road heat and weight which will take your tire pressure up about 10% which is normal. This is not over inflation. The tire is build to take this heat. Now why would you take air out doesn't seem right unless you go from below sea level to 15,000 ft elevation. This will make it go up in PSI but I wouldn't take any air out.
The KEY factor is you MUST always check tire pressure COLD meaning it has been sitting over night. Now if you go from a cold climate 32 degrees F to 95 degrees yes the tire pressure will also go up. As long as you do not exceed the tire printed MAX tire pressure COLD you will be fine.
Hope this extended description is understandable but if you have any questions ask away.

P.S.
I see you have a trailer and not a motorhome. If you have your trailer overloaded or nose down when travelling this is put more weight on the front trailer axle tires and less on the rear ones.
When I had my 5th wheel that was fully loaded I tried to actually get the trailer level or slightly nose up when hooked up for towing.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

I went with the flow through on the coach and non flow through on the road due to how much they stick out. With the DP, I occasionally lose touch with some of the road sensors so I plan on adding the repeater.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Flo Thru w/ metal valve stems. Balancing was no problem. Set the pressure cold and go. Alaska and back to Pa. 13,000 Mi worked perfect... never changed the pressure
Old 10-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think it is what you prefer. The weight difference is really slight so that's not a concern. You can get the 507's which you might have to put a new battery in yearly, or the 508's which the battery is changed every 5 years, but I do think you have to send them in to get that done. No matter which you get you should put metal stems in, TST will tell you if your rubber stem is only 1/4 " exposed that you really do not need the metal, but I think it's best. Your tires did not come balanced from the factory. If you are using them on original tire. If you get new tires have them balance the tire with them on.
X2 totally correct
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #20

We have the non-flow thru on our GT, and it's fine on the rear tires - we had extended stems put on with a clip on the axle to hold them in place.

The front ones are a pain - the stem is a bit too short to make it easy to put the sensors on and off - so if I had to do it again, I'd get some flow-thru ones for the front tires. Would save me scraping my knuckles every time I have to take them on and off.

Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote