Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #31

I honestly believe it is a design issue....I have had the same issue intermittently with my coach since it was new. SO, I typically just run the front AC since it is larger, and the fan on the rear AC to pull some of the air to the back of the RV.....while going down the road.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I did not see a check of the amount of current the rear A/C is drawing on startup. Not what it is rated at, what is actually measured. Preference would be for a current monitor that recorded peak readings.

I had 118 volts on each leg of the transfer switch from the generator, when the front a/c fan came on it dropped to 114, when compressor cycled on, it momentarily dropped to 107v, I was parked in a home
depot parking lot this afternoon when I checked it. Front a/c ran ok for 120 miles, then as I'm slowly turning into Rv campgrounds, a/c cycled off and generator shut off. ( I took the jumper wires out at Home Depot ) there's absolutely no pattern to when this thing is gonna work or not.... It's hit and miss every time!

But it's all good for now, I'm plugged into shore power and it's blowing cold air!! Life is good!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #33

Hey guys. If the Front Air Conditioner runs and the Rear Air Conditioner runs for a while then the Generator shut down, it can't be the Transfer Switch. It is functioning as its only purpose is to Transfer Power either from the Shore Power or Generator. This is an over heating problem of the Generator and its protection circuit shuts it down. As I have posted here above, I had a 2014 Fleetwood Terra that the Generator would shut down while driving or the outside Temperature got above 90 degrees. It is all about Air Flow and cooling.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #34

X2 on the generator vs transfer switch. If the transfer switch dropped out, the last thing the generator would do is shut down since it would be supplying virtually no current and would loaf. Agree that this sounds like a generator overheating issue, especially since it seems to depend on if you are not moving vs on the road.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
X2 on the generator vs transfer switch. If the transfer switch dropped out, the last thing the generator would do is shut down since it would be supplying virtually no current and would loaf. Agree that this sounds like a generator overheating issue, especially since it seems to depend on if you are not moving vs on the road.
I think the primary reason the conversation is centered around the Transfer Switch is because that is where you Hear the failure occur.(at least on my coach) When mine shuts down you can hear, feel the Transfer Switch attempting a transfer from GENset to Shore. although there is no shore power present. eventually, the Genset either trips a breaker or a catch it in time and turn off one of the AC Units for example.
The only other time I hear the Transfer switch (thump) is when I first plug into or disconnect shore power, so MY assumption is that the normal/default transfer switch position is GENset, therefore, the anomaly is some sort of issue with the switch itself.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #36

Probably right, although when you "hear the transfer switch" it is actually dropping out since there is not AC to pull it in from shore power. On my coach default is shore power, although the transfer switch is miles away from the living area so its really hard to hear. In either case, if you hear it and the problem is the genny being incapable of powering both ACs, your voltage has probably dropped quite a bit.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #37

I also believe your generator is not keeping up, voltage drops momentarily below the transfer switches detection level, and it trips.

I assume it re-engages when the Genny comes back.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #38
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Similar problem. How many hours does your generator have? At 450 it needs new plugs, new fuel filter, and valve adjustment. I don't have a transfer switch, but when a load was put on the generator it would sometimes sputter as it went to increase RPMs and when it couldn't maintain voltage it shut down.

Does your generator actually shut down or does it just disengage the transfer switch? If it's not shutting down then it's going to be difficult to diagnose because you won't get the error codes. That's where your jumper wires could help because it would force a shutdown. Get out your manual after it shuts down unexpectedly and you'll see where the start switch (on the generator - not the remote switch) will blink a code. That will tell you why it's shutting down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #39
WhoDoMan

Mine has 22 hours on it and seldom used. When I contacted FR they said they knew of the problem and to run the full front system and just the fan on the rear above +/- 82 degrees. Other than that no resolve. My gen does not shut down but the switch disengages. It finally burned up. New switch under extended warrentee goes in Monday.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Similar problem. How many hours does your generator have? At 450 it needs new plugs, new fuel filter, and valve adjustment. I don't have a transfer switch, but when a load was put on the generator it would sometimes sputter as it went to increase RPMs and when it couldn't maintain voltage it shut down.

Does your generator actually shut down or does it just disengage the transfer switch? If it's not shutting down then it's going to be difficult to diagnose because you won't get the error codes. That's where your jumper wires could help because it would force a shutdown. Get out your manual after it shuts down unexpectedly and you'll see where the start switch (on the generator - not the remote switch) will blink a code. That will tell you why it's shutting down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

My generator has 750 hours, just serviced oil & filter, new fuel filter, new plugs, new air filter, ITS HAD THIS ISSUE SINCE NEW....... I don't think it's a heat issue, it might run 120 miles before it acts up, it might 2 miles.... There's no pattern to the issue. Sometimes I can run both a/c units, sometimes just 1, sometimes neither. With jumper wires in place, generator will die, with jumpers removed, just the transfer switch will trip out. Lots of people having similar issues, no one yet has come up with a proven fix/ resolve. Lots of great ideas, I've tried several things, when I get home, the generator cord is coming off and I will check the connections at generator, resistance in the cord itself etc. I will update with my findings. Meanwhile..... I'm enjoying the time away!! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1465960831.974825.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	111158

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Tags
transfer switch