Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #41
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Beautiful picture. What error code is the generator giving you when it shuts down?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #42

First trip out with mine. Brand new 364TS transfer switch. Making loud buzzing and tripping out. Mainly stayed in but vibrating and buzzing. I get home shut it down let cool off. Crank generator back up. No more buzzing or tripping.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #43

Loud buzzing on first is normal as the components burn in. A low hum during operation is normal.

I just installed a PD52 DCS and it made the same noise. Also has strong overheating electrical smell. It all went away after about an hour.

Hasn't tripped yet but I haven't put a load on it either.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #44

Relay Switch

I just purchased a 2016 Georgetown 378XL. I have the same issue with the A/C running off the generator. The front one will come on but when I start the rear one I lose all power. I took it back to the dealer and they told me to take it to the Cummins dealer to have the generator checked. I haven't done that yet but it sounds as though nobody has found the root cause of the problem. I will keep checking back and will post what I find.

Ed
2016 Georgetown 378XL
In Katy , TX
ed.thacker1@gmail.com
ethacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #45

Sorry to tell you it isn't the Transfer Switch. All it does is Transfer Power from either the Generator or Shore Power. Since the Front AC is working it Transfer Switch is working. When you turn on the Rear AC do you loose power to the Microwave? If you do then there is too much of a load on one of the 30 Amp Circuits. I had a problem with the Microwave had no Power. They found a broken wire. When I went to pick up my Motorhome I checked it out and guess what No Rear AC and no power to the Microwave. One of the Circuit Breakers on the Generator would trip as the Load was not balance between the two 30 AMP Circuits. Once they did that everything works perfectly. So if you go to the Cummings Dealer, I will almost bet you they tell you to go back to the Dealer and have them balance the load on each Circuit.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
Sorry to tell you it isn't the Transfer Switch. All it does is Transfer Power from either the Generator or Shore Power. Since the Front AC is working it Transfer Switch is working. When you turn on the Rear AC do you loose power to the Microwave? If you do then there is too much of a load on one of the 30 Amp Circuits. I had a problem with the Microwave had no Power. They found a broken wire. When I went to pick up my Motorhome I checked it out and guess what No Rear AC and no power to the Microwave. One of the Circuit Breakers on the Generator would trip as the Load was not balance between the two 30 AMP Circuits. Once they did that everything works perfectly. So if you go to the Cummings Dealer, I will almost bet you they tell you to go back to the Dealer and have them balance the load on each Circuit.
We are losing all power not half. What's happening is the transfer switch is not holding the load it is kicking out causing all power to be lost. Which is also not a Cummins issue.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #47

Your problem is strange since the Transfer Switch is like a two pole Switch. It is either in one position held closed in one position when the Generator is running and release to the other position when the Generator is not running, on Shore Power. Sounds like Relay is loosing it's Ground Point.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
Your problem is strange since the Transfer Switch is like a two pole Switch. It is either in one position held closed in one position when the Generator is running and release to the other position when the Generator is not running, on Shore Power. Sounds like Relay is loosing it's Ground Point.
I lot of people are having this same issue. It's like the contact switch that jumps in and out is being overloaded.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 AM   #49

If these are Progressive Dynamics PD52s give them a call and they will send out a new control board if you are still under warranty.

I was speaking tonthemmlast week and they said that might be the issue.

They also said that as A/C units age, they require more power to start so if you didn't install hard start caps, do that now.
Modmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:41 AM   #50

Same problem with mine, only happens when it's hot outside and I'm running Genset with both ACs.

Here is a video of the primary transfer switch on the right clicking. We removed it and are only using the new one on the left, haven't tested in heavy heat under load yet, but in pretty sure that solved the problem.

https://vimeo.com/172077475
Old 06-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #51

Interesting video but it doesn't look like my transfer switch!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #52

My transfer switch is made by Furrion, and I have replaced it twice with no resolve. I've about decided that the generator in these coaches isn't big enough to run both a/c units in the heat while driving. So, my fix is I am now looking at getting into a Berkshire!! Diesel pusher, 10K generator. Air ride, air brakes etc!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
My transfer switch is made by Furrion, and I have replaced it twice with no resolve. I've about decided that the generator in these coaches isn't big enough to run both a/c units in the heat while driving. So, my fix is I am now looking at getting into a Berkshire!! Diesel pusher, 10K generator. Air ride, air brakes etc!!

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Why would you replace it with the same manufacture?
Old 06-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #54

The ONAN 5.5K genny advertises it will run 2, 13.5K air conditioners with 1100 watts still available. My last gasser MH had a 7K ONAN genny and it advertised it will run 2, 15K air conditioners and 2000 watts still available. I think FR gasser MH's that have the 5.5K genny and a 13.5K and 15K air conditioners are on the raged edge when it comes to having them both on at the same time. Doesn't appear there is any room for variables.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Why would you replace it with the same manufacture?

I don't have any other issues with Forest River..... I love my Georgetown XL other than this 1 issue. It's been a great entry level RV for me and my family to enjoy the last 3 years, wanting to step up into a DP.....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #56
Tim & Lisa Trempert

The issues you are talking about are most likely a generator issue and not a capacity or transfer switch issue. When the generator is unable to produce sufficient voltage, the transfer switch will disconnect. So the next question is, why did the generator not produce enough voltage? It is no issue with two AC units - more than enough. Is your hot water electric on? Is someone using the microwave? Unlikely if you are using AC, but what about the electric fireplace?

Now that those are ruled out, go back to the generator and open the door. Start it and have someone inside turn on both AC units. As they kick on, how does the generator respond? Chances are it sputters and has trouble revving up to carry the load. Check the altitude setting.

Assuming it's not the altitude setting you likely have dirty injectors/carb, dirty fuel filter, bad spark plugs, bad plug wires, etc. Time for some engine maintenance. These little engines don't do well with E10 gasoline. They also gum up much more quickly than a big engine. It's very difficult to treat the gas as you should because you have to treat 80 gallons and not 5 or 10.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
The issues you are talking about are most likely a generator issue and not a capacity or transfer switch issue. When the generator is unable to produce sufficient voltage, the transfer switch will disconnect. So the next question is, why did the generator not produce enough voltage? It is no issue with two AC units - more than enough. Is your hot water electric on? Is someone using the microwave? Unlikely if you are using AC, but what about the electric fireplace?

Now that those are ruled out, go back to the generator and open the door. Start it and have someone inside turn on both AC units. As they kick on, how does the generator respond? Chances are it sputters and has trouble revving up to carry the load. Check the altitude setting.

Assuming it's not the altitude setting you likely have dirty injectors/carb, dirty fuel filter, bad spark plugs, bad plug wires, etc. Time for some engine maintenance. These little engines don't do well with E10 gasoline. They also gum up much more quickly than a big engine. It's very difficult to treat the gas as you should because you have to treat 80 gallons and not 5 or 10.

I have been dealing with issue since I bought new, Feb. 2013, it's been to Rv service repair center several
Times, no problem found, been to Cummins, no problem found. In 3 years, I've checked everything I can think of and anything that's been advised here for 3 years, there are numerous people here with the same complaint, nobody has come up with a fix/ resolve, not even an Onan mechanic, Rv dealer service technicians in 3 years.... I'm just tired of dealing with it every tom I wanna take a trip in the summer months.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #58

Transfer switch won't stay engaged

I just ran a trip from Oklahoma to Destin Florida, 1700 plus miles and I run Lucas fuel treatment the whole 1700 plus miles, I have kept detailed records of generator maintenance, it's in top shape, it's been serviced routinely!
I have no problem whatsoever treating 80 gallons of gas, I will pay 4.00 a gallon for premium gas if I thought it would resolve these issues, but it hasn't.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty

Tags
transfer switch