Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #21
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
Hmm. I'm planning a rear track bar that will bolt directly to the rear differential. I'll be checking the torque on ALL my bolts...

cfsoistman - What the heck are you towing back there? Under 4000lbs right? :-)

I have this vision of your cruising down the highway at 70MPH pulling a small bulldozer...
Sorry no bulldozer I'm only towing a 2004 Pontiac Grand AM. My wife did have a travel bag back there though! I guess it's one of those things where the person responsible for the assembly maybe did not check it for accuracy???

Maybe I shouldn't be wearing my John Force tee-shirt while driving the RV

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #22

I am glad all worked out and no one hurt!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Just received a call from Packer Ford. The problem is in the rear. Two bolts sheered off causing the gearing to shift and started breaking off teeth. They believe one bolt broke first and that caused the whining sound from the vibration. Once the second bolt broke on me Friday evening it was all over for the rear. Ford is over-nighting an entire rear differential assembly. They will replace the rear assembly and then check the transmission again to be sure there is no damage due to the rear breaking. If all goes well it will be done before the end of the week.
Glad you got the Georgetown repaired. So far ours is working like it should. Keep us posted on the repairs. Ford treated us ok too. Our frontend needed aligned when we bought it at the dealer. Ford took care of it. and with 17000 miles on it, the tires are wearing true.
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It's fixed!!!!! Just got back from picking up the coach. I have a pretty good ear when it comes to noises and after driving it home I truely believe it is quieter than I ever recall. I wonder if the problem was there from the start and gradually got worse until the bolts sheared and the rear got destroyed. I have to commend Packer Ford for getting it fixed in a timely manner. They kept me up to date with the progress. The rear differential arrived Thursday afternoon and they called me. As all Marylander's know it's been raining for the past week. The tech installed the new rear differential yesterday and completed the test drive by 4:30. It was done outside in not very nice weather. Yesterday was rainy, windy and a bit chilly. They called at 4:45 and advised me it was completed. My wife and I went over this morning to pick it up.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 11-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
It's fixed!!!!! Just got back from picking up the coach. I have a pretty good ear when it comes to noises and after driving it home I truely believe it is quieter than I ever recall. I wonder if the problem was there from the start and gradually got worse until the bolts sheared and the rear got destroyed. I have to commend Packer Ford for getting it fixed in a timely manner. They kept me up to date with the progress. The rear differential arrived Thursday afternoon and they called me. As all Marylander's know it's been raining for the past week. The tech installed the new rear differential yesterday and completed the test drive by 4:30. It was done outside in not very nice weather. Yesterday was rainy, windy and a bit chilly. They called at 4:45 and advised me it was completed. My wife and I went over this morning to pick it up.
Whoo Hoo! I bet something got in the rear during manufacturing. Mine is quiet. I'm guessing you have the Dana S130. I've been reading up on them since I'm getting ready to do the rear track bar. I've only read good things.

Having your RV fail during the winter.. Good
Getting it fixed without much trouble.. Better
Having it all covered by the warranty.. GREAT!!
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Whoo Hoo! I bet something got in the rear during manufacturing. Mine is quiet. I'm guessing you have the Dana S130. I've been reading up on them since I'm getting ready to do the rear track bar. I've only read good things.
I wasn't aware that Ford used Dana axles, thought they manufactured their own. I traded out the weak Dana on my Jeep for a Ford 8.8 which is much beefier.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I wasn't aware that Ford used Dana axles, thought they manufactured their own. I traded out the weak Dana on my Jeep for a Ford 8.8 which is much beefier.
Yup... Download the F53 chassis specs for your year (mine is a 2007) and you'll find all sort of interesting bits.

I have a Dana S130. You can also crawl under and read the tag on the rear. Mine has a Ford sticker with "Model S130" on the tag.

A link to the 2007 specs:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...essd_07mhc.pdf

One thing I thought was odd... The 22,000/26,000 pounder uses the S130, while the 20,500 pounder uses the S135.

I thought the higher #s equaled higher weights... but sure enough I've got a S130 under there.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #28

Found the press release for S130...

http://dana.mediaroom.com/index.php/press_releases/62

"For maximum flexibility, the S130 series of axles (gross axle weight rating of 14,500 to 16,500 lbs.) can be used in drivetrain configurations that require GVW ratings of up to 26,500 lbs., and GCW ratings up to 40,000 lbs."

So we can tow a bulldozer.. well at least the axle can!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #29

Quote:
I thought the higher #s equaled higher weights... but sure enough I've got a S130 under there.
Can't speak as to the bigger axles but with the Jeeps like mine the number has more to do with ring gear size. The D35 and D44 axles on the Jeeps had the exact same thickness of axle tube but the 44 had bigger ring gear and axle shafts. Although I was never sold on the D44 anyway (that's why I went to the Ford 8.8 for my Jeep.

As for the motorhome that is very interesting and as they say "you learn something every day." Could be that the difference in the S130 to S135 is more about ring gear size rather than anything else.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Could be that the difference in the S130 to S135 is more about ring gear size rather than anything else.
Could be.. I was looking at the 2009 F53 specs. (hoping that Forest River builds a 40+ footer using the 26,000/30,000 # chassis that has 252" wheelbase (vs. the 242 that we have)

For 2009 Ford is using the S130 with an axle rating of 15,000 lbs for the 22,000/26,000 chassis and they used the Dana 17060S with an axle rating of 17,500 lbs. for the 26,000/30,000.

It only mattered to me because I was buying a rear track bar for my 2007. Looks like the bolt patterns on the 130/135/145 are the same, so one size fits all (at least until you get to the 17060S).
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #31

Re: Transmission Troubles

Hey cfsoistman !!!!!
Hasn't Ford solved your problem yet? I't will soon be two months since your last incident report. Many here have exactly the same engine and trannty and anxiously await to hear what caused your problem and what the fix was.

Cheers,
Don Blake
07 Georgetown 349TSF

Nov 6th, 2009.... cfsoistman said
Yesterday on my way home from work I saw a motorhome driving in the opposite direction. Hey! that's my motorhome. The mechanic had it out trying to locate the noise. It really seemed strange looking at it going down the road without me.
Today: I received a call from the repair center. The coach is ready for pick up. Once I got there they explained they checked everything out and test drove it for more than 20 miles and could not find anything wrong. My first thought was it never fails the noise is there until you get it to the repair shop. So I picked it up, connected my car to the rear and started home. My worries lasted about 15 minutes and about 6 miles from the dealership. BOOM it bucked and I heard grinding and had to get to the right turn lane just prior to a red light. It sounded like the drive shaft fell off. Once I got stopped I went out and looked under the coach. Nothing, everything looked normal. I looked back at my car and didn't see any problems back there. I still don't know what broke but they won't have any problem locating it once they get into it. I don't blame them, you can't find a problem if it doesn't present itself. I called the service advisor at Packer Ford and after he apologized he got me in touch with Ford Roadside Assistance in order to get the coach towed back to the shop. Once I called Ford Roadside Assistance everything went smooth as glass. She called me back once the towing company was contacted. Tow truck arrived within 30 minutes. They told me 45-60 minutes. The driver was terrific, another camper so he treated the coach like it was his own. It sounded terrible as he pulled off. First a clunk and another and then it was smooth hauling.
So it's back at the shop and I'll know something next week. I'll keep you posted.

I'm so thankful that no one was hurt, I didn't wreck the coach or hit anything or anyone. One thing I'm glad is IT HAPPENED so now there's a starting point for them to find the problem. Had I made it home the coach would be parked for a couple months and maybe we would be on our way to a vacation destination when it would go up.
dpbbjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #32

dpbbjc:

Check out post #24 in the thread for your answer.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #33
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbbjc View Post
Hey cfsoistman !!!!!
Hasn't Ford solved your problem yet? I't will soon be two months since your last incident report. Many here have exactly the same engine and trannty and anxiously await to hear what caused your problem and what the fix was.

Cheers,
Don Blake
07 Georgetown 349TSF

Yes it was fixed. Everything went well. The poor thing's surrounded by a ton of snow right now. I'm Ready for Spring!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #34

Results

Hi did you find out what the problem was, if there was one?
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #35

Sorry I just read post 24. At least it was partial good news - no tranny problems.

Happy camping!
ChrisD
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote