Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #1

Transmission venting fluid out vent...

So we are leaving for Florida (1100 mile drive one way) on the 17th of January, in the past yr of owning or 2012 Georgetown 280ds it has vented trans fluid out of the vent on the top of the trans several times and it seems to mainly happen when we are on large hills from what I can tell... my quess is a previous owner or shop overfilled the trans because the trans never runs hot (170 is where is mainly runs) it reads right in the middle of the dip stick when at operating temp with the motor running, fluid looks clean and trans shifts fine.

My question is do you think it would hurt to put a hose on the vent and run it to a antifreeze jug I have off a old tractor to catch the vented fluid to get an idea of how much it’s venting out and to keep the fluid from making a mess on my driveway!? The antifreeze jug would of coarse be opened as to not plug the vent! I’m just wondering how much more could be in there if it was indeed over filed? I was told by ford to just let it vent the access out being the trans is shifting fine and not overheating or anything.. any thoughts??
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 AM   #2

I would do two things I would have the trans flushed and filled with the proper amount of fluid so you will know if it's over filled or not. Second, electric trans temp gauges are not very accurate. I don't what transmission you have but I would install a temp sending uinit in the transmission and a new gauge on the dash.

Your trans is getting hot and building pressure when your climbing those hills. Try dropping a gear when tackling those big hills, you will go slower but less stress on the trans.

As far as the bottle is concerned, I would service the trans at least you will know then if it's overfilled or not....
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #3

I thought about doing the same on our Palazzo Diesel when Speedco overfilled the OIL... it takes about 15qts, but they filled it to the brim with over 25qts. The oil 'overflow' tube provided the outlet for the 'extra' oil, as it exited all under the chassis while driving, coating the hitch, towbar, car, and even all up and over the rear of the coach, 12' high!

I thought of adding a catch container, of sorts, to the overflow tube, but decided to instead to relieve the extra oil by releasing it from the oil pan's 'side' outlet(nice to have!), which made it easier to allow the oil to flow into about 5 gallon milk jugs(I had cut the top section off for easier filling), each about 1/2 full to allow for easier carrying to a service station for disposal.

Now, the dip stick shows the correct fluid levels, and I haven't had any issue since. No more oil spray or loss from the overflow tube.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

Have you properly checked the fluid level on the dipstick with the engine running and transmission warmed up?

This will easily tell you if its over filled.
After this is done you can then ask the questions what to do.

Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

It should stop puking once it's down to the correct level. I would just monitor the level during trips to make sure it's in the cross hatches. There is no reason to flush it since most shops do not have the correct hot fluid machine anyways.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I would do two things I would have the trans flushed and filled with the proper amount of fluid so you will know if it's over filled or not. Second, electric trans temp gauges are not very accurate. I don't what transmission you have but I would install a temp sending uinit in the transmission and a new gauge on the dash.

Your trans is getting hot and building pressure when your climbing those hills. Try dropping a gear when tackling those big hills, you will go slower but less stress on the trans.

As far as the bottle is concerned, I would service the trans at least you will know then if it's overfilled or not....

I agree with you 100% and I had a appt to have trans flushed and filled at ford and they canceled on me and now I can’t get a appt anywhere that will do the work before we leave.

As far as the temp gauge goes I’m using my obd2 scanner to retrieve the temp not the useless gauge on the dash and I have also checked the line temps and temps at the pan and all have been very close to the readings I’m getting from my scanner.

When this first happened the stick was reading high when I checked it at operating temp and has slowing come down to just at or just above the middle of the full marks on the stick.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Have you properly checked the fluid level on the dipstick with the engine running and transmission warmed up?

This will easily tell you if its over filled.
After this is done you can then ask the questions what to do.

Iggy

Iggy. Yes trans fluid has been checked at operating temp with engine running after shifting through all the gears then back to park. When it first happened I checked it and it was just over the full line on the stick, it has come down because of the venting and now sits just about in the middle between add and full.. maybe a touch past the half way point.

A tech told me sometimes when the fluid is hot if you go down a steep hill of stop suddenly the warm fluid will slosh forward and out the vent. Not sure how much of that I buy... lol
Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
It should stop puking once it's down to the correct level. I would just monitor the level during trips to make sure it's in the cross hatches. There is no reason to flush it since most shops do not have the correct hot fluid machine anyways.

That’s what I’m hoping!! Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I thought about doing the same on our Palazzo Diesel when Speedco overfilled the OIL... it takes about 15qts, but they filled it to the brim with over 25qts. The oil 'overflow' tube provided the outlet for the 'extra' oil, as it exited all under the chassis while driving, coating the hitch, towbar, car, and even all up and over the rear of the coach, 12' high!

I thought of adding a catch container, of sorts, to the overflow tube, but decided to instead to relieve the extra oil by releasing it from the oil pan's 'side' outlet(nice to have!), which made it easier to allow the oil to flow into about 5 gallon milk jugs(I had cut the top section off for easier filling), each about 1/2 full to allow for easier carrying to a service station for disposal.

Now, the dip stick shows the correct fluid levels, and I haven't had any issue since. No more oil spray or loss from the overflow tube.

Might just add the tank to stop the mess! Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post

Also regarding dropping a gear.. yes I do that. The transmission and cruise is useless.. by the way it is a ford torqueshift 5sp with a v10.

If been driving a truck over 20yrs and would give anything to have a 13 or 18sp manual over these autos esp in the hills!!!
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

An over full crank case is worse than one that is low on oil as the excess tends to cause a loss engine power (but you may not notice. Other issues occur causing lack of oil to circulate and starve parts for lubrication. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #12

((You have owned this for a year? Transmission fluid is nice and clean... It pukes fluid when stressed and going up hills... You 'think' that the fluid level was 'overfilled' by previous owner or shop.... Level is good when engine is running (idling) and cooled down.....))

I know that you asked about putting a hose on the vent and drain off excess fluid.. fix the problem, not the mess that the problem is making.

Something is sticking on your transmission when under stress situations and it is overheating to the point of puking, not because it was 'overfilled'. Take your trip. Be nice to your transmission. Get fully checked out when you get back.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #13

Had the same thing happen to me on a F250....as soon as it got to hot it would start dumping fluid.....found out the pump in the trani was bad...as soon as they replaced it the problem stopped.
fgibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #14

Have a competent transmission shop verify that you have the correct dip stick and that the fluid level is correct. Ford and others have been known to install the wrong dip stick.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #15

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
An over full crank case is worse than one that is low on oil as the excess tends to cause a loss engine power (but you may not notice. Other issues occur causing lack of oil to circulate and starve parts for lubrication. Later RJD
An overfilled transmission can cause foaming. The air bubbles don't lubricate, pump, or operate hydraulic valves as well as bubble-free fluid.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
((You have owned this for a year? Transmission fluid is nice and clean... It pukes fluid when stressed and going up hills... You 'think' that the fluid level was 'overfilled' by previous owner or shop.... Level is good when engine is running (idling) and cooled down.....))

I know that you asked about putting a hose on the vent and drain off excess fluid.. fix the problem, not the mess that the problem is making.

Something is sticking on your transmission when under stress situations and it is overheating to the point of puking, not because it was 'overfilled'. Take your trip. Be nice to your transmission. Get fully checked out when you get back.

Let me rephrase this.. when we bought it in November of 17 and picked it up in GA we drove strait home and it basically went into storage, in the spring after a short 80 mile round trip (we live in Illinois where there are no hills) I got under the coach to change the oil and noticed a small amount of trans fluid on the front edge of the trans pan and noticed it was coming from the top side of the trans so I i jumped in the coach with the dog house cover off and went for a 45-60min drive to see where it was coming from (stop and go and some highway with my ob2 scanner hooked up watching the trans temp which never went over 170-175) the whole ride never saw a drop of fluid until we got within a block from the house and the wife said where’d that come from?? Small puddle of fluid in the valley just below the vent.. later I was told by a ford tech he had seen that model trans that had been over filled push fluid out of the vent when the trans gets to operating temp and also when going down hill or during stop and go driving where the fluid can slosh to the front of the trans. This made since after he had said that because during that test run none came out until we were stopping at stop signs right before getting home.

When we got home I let the coach sit for about 5-10 mins while idling and then shifted through the gears and then checked the fluid level which was I touch high.. did some research online both in the RV forums and ford forums and also consulted the shop manual which does say over filled trans will vent.. most everyone that had the problem esp in the RV side of things just let it go till the excess fluid was vented and the problem solved itself and some were even told by ford to do this (so they say)

Now we have been on several trips where it has vented very little if any and we have been on a few mainly down to southern MO where it has vented a little more and it does tend to vent more on the down hill side of the grades which I have physically watched because I had the wife pull the dog house cover off when we entered the hilly part of the trip for a little while..

It never sprays out like it’s under great pressure but more of a splash that’s why I tend to think it’s more of a overfill symptom vs something else and the fact that the trans never gets hot, even in 100 degree heat pulling out lifted Jeep up and down those hills it only hit 180 once and went right back down to around 175 when we crested the hill.

I more so get tired of cleaning the fluid off the trans more than anything but I do plan on getting it looked at just to be safe as soon as I can get an appointment.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmission_doctor View Post
Have a competent transmission shop verify that you have the correct dip stick and that the fluid level is correct. Ford and others have been known to install the wrong dip stick.

Thank you, I will definitely bring that up when I take it in!!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #18

Hi Beards79.

No one wants to pay someone for work if no work needs to be done (Tech look at Transmission)

If you firmly believe that is was overfilled for some reason and is sloshing out, I can see that point of view (but why was fluid added?). There will be a point that the sloshing should stop if that is the case, but is it still 'over filled'? This long trip just may be the trip to get it down to the correct (?) level. As others have pointed out, the trans should not be over filled as air/foaming is pushed into the channels/valves.....ect. Not a good thing for the trans over long term. Short term it will be fine and get pushed out of the system, but you must get the air/foaming to stop and not continue (if it is doing that) for some type of long term driving.

Have a great trip.

(I am soooo ready to hit the road and go camping myself)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #19

I am not familiar with that transmission but some transmissions have a breather on top, if that gets plugged or built up with grime the pressure forces fluid out of the filler tube.
Seeking Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #20

As I read it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Adventure View Post
I am not familiar with that transmission but some transmissions have a breather on top, if that gets plugged or built up with grime the pressure forces fluid out of the filler tube.
If you don't believe in science, stop reading here.

As I read the OP's posts, I understood that the fluid was actually coming out of the breather (he called it a "vent").

Most people seem to agree that ATF expands with heat. And we all know someone who filled his automatic transmission cold (with engine off) and had fluid spouting out the vent.

Most petroleum products have a coefficient of 0.001%/degree C. That doesn't seem like much but consider this example:
10 quart transmission
Cold temp 40 degrees F (4.44 degrees C)
Hot temp 230 degrees F (110 degrees C)
Temperature change (105 degrees C)
Volume change (105 x .001% x 10 quarts) = 1.05 quarts

Yes, the fluid volume actually grows by a quart.

I realize that I'm using the thermal coefficient of expansion for oil, not ATF. I've written for a paper on the properties of ATF but it hasn't arrived yet.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent