Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
My previous life before retirement was a project manager,

I can relate! Project Managers R Us

Quote:
That said, since I am very new in this RVing stuff, I do not know the "supply and demand" in RV Park and RVers ratio. Do you have much of problem to find RV park especially during the summertime at some part of the country such as California shoreline, Colorado mountainside like Silverton, Telluride or during wintertime in Florida and Texas, etc. when 1/2 of the country "snow bird" are moving down south?
Emphatic YES! We retire in December and I am planning a Snowbird trip to Florida in January 2018.

Tried to book a site in Key West in January 2017 - booked through February '18, sorry.

I finally found a site on Sunshine Key, but the lesson learned here is, if it is a desirable high volume destination sites can get booked years in advance (Disney books Ft. Wilderness 18 months out)

Quote:
Also, have anyone travel to Alaska during the month of May, June, July and August? How is the campground along your way?
Funny you should ask A buddy of mine and I are leading a RV Caravan to Alaska next year....

How are you going to Alaska? Did you know that there are 4-5 tour companies that specialize in Alaska Caravans? They are like vacuum cleaners when it comes to available camp sites - especially in the Jun-Sept timeframe.

Quote:
After I had done some researches, planning for the Alaska trip with a fixed schedule would be a big mistake because, at some part of the country especially along the Jasper National Park, there are so many nice places to "boondock" that I should not miss and that would throw off any scheduled reservation if have a fixed plan. Is that correct? What would you do as far as campground when you get up to Alaska, is the plenty of RV parks and parking up there for both of full hookup and boondocking?
If it is just you - or maybe 1 other friend in a RV, don't worry. You can always find a pull off if you can't get into a campground.

See my previous post on RV Trip planning web sites. I would at least get RV Trip Wizard.

Pick up a copy of the current year's Milepost. This is THE Bible on traveling to Alaska. It will help you plan your trip and tell you about cool places to go that are off the beaten path.

If you have any other Alaska Questions, ask away
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #22

I can relate! Project Managers R Us

I was a Electrical Construction Manager and understand how our brains works.

If you want this to be a fun trip start heading West and call check for campgrounds 4-5 hours prior to arrival (Check-in 1PM) . I have done this many times and usually call the campground that I plan to stop that day about 11AM. I also have a backup plan (Walmart) just in case they are full which has never happened.
The only state that I would plan a bit more is California. Depending on where you plan to stay and how long needs to be scheduled in advance.
Calling those longer stay locations on the beach now to get a better feel for what to expect is a good idea.

Bottom line like others have said.
If you really want to enjoy yourself fly by the seat of your pants and enjoy the adventure. Don't worry so much. RVing is suppose to be enjoyable and fun.
It will be hard for you at first but I know you can do it.

Good Luck and !
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #23

Hello all friends,

Sorry that I was not able to response to many of your advice in the last few days since I was at places that cell data is not available until now. Since too many good advice came through. I do recognize and thanks for all of your input.

I guess that since this is my first "extra long" trip and never have the opportunity to get familiar with boondocking at Walmart, rest stop, etc.

On this trip that I began almost a week ago and had the opportunity to boondock 3 nights so far and 2 nights at a campground. I start to get a hang of the boondocking. For the boondocking, one night was at the VLA in NM tourist parking and two nights were at the interstate Welcome Center. Both of the night at the Welcome Center, I was able to pull to the curb side so I could have one of the slides out without interfering with any people walking or traffic. For the next 50 nights, I already had the reservation at various places. I may squeeze in few more nights boondocking on my way back home in late June.

Like many of you said on this topic, once I get a hang of travel and boondocking, I will be more relax on the planning.

On the next trip, like some of your advice, I will combine some of the reservation where necessary like California, etc. and may have some extra days in between reservation for cushion.

As far the Alaska trip, I do know that there are few RV tour groups that go there, however, since my wife and I both are photographers, we need to have more flexible in time to be able to stop along the way as we see fit to photograph the sceneries since I heard a lot of the good photography locations along the way. The experience of boondocking will come very handy on the Alaska trip next year.

On the Walmart Parking, I do agree that we should keep the limit stay at Walmart as overnight and should not leave the RV unattended at all. If I would like to sightseen or visit a certain town on my way, I would rather book couple nights at the RV park then drive the tow car. This way I would know for sure that the I will not taking any parking space at any business to benefit my own self.

On this trip, on my way back from Silverton Colorado to Texas, I will drive through Taos and Santa Fe, NM. Since the wife would like to visit the two towns, I am in the process of booking two nights at each town. This makes us more comfortable to leave the RV in place that secure and comfort enough to extend the slides and full use of the RV. That is what we bought the RV for in the first place.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #24
Insert witty title here

Actually, Ft Wilderness is only booking 11 months out. I want to book late April next year but I can't until the end of this month.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #25

We traveled from South Carolina to Califrnia and back as newbies. I belong to Good Sam's and used there travel guide to plan my stops. I would pick were I wanted to stop and base it also on the raiting it was given. My wife would call the campground when we were shot an hour away and we never had a problem getting a spot. She also drives the t.v. so I wrote out destinations to meet each day and based it on both of us cricketing. I agree with others if you make reservations at each campground ahead of your trip and you don't make it there it not only stressful but costly if you loose your deposit.
Rvlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel