Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #11

When I was a kid traveling with the Carnival, my Gypsy friends always traveled from place to place with a Travel Trailer being pulled by a Cadillac or Buick car. I still do the same today, except I now use a Truck. Decades of past history can't be wrong.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttg View Post
I would tell you that this decision will require a lot of soul searching on your behalf.
We had a 37 foot Georgetown with 3 slide outs and put about 70,000kms on it. I truly enjoyed driving the large vehicle and the living space was close to perfect. When it came time to trade the unit I lost lots of $s because of the mileage. It seems that there are MHs out there that haven't traveled very far and they made mine less desirable.
Having a toad with us there was the freedom for shopping and dining etc.
This is a very large rig with a car behind to get in and out of fuel stops, lunch stops and so on.
You require a large truck repair shop to get even simple things repaired.
We had a hydraulic problem in our own driveway with the jacks down and slides out which rendered us totally immobile until we could convince a hydraulic person to make a house call. (They all want the vehicle to go to them) Finding even an oil change location can be an episode when on a trip and the mileage is up. Trailer parks frown on you doing this sort of thing at the campsite.
We traded that MH for a 38 ft 5th wheel with 3 slide outs and a pickup. This provides much better living area for our needs. Now we do our fueling at the end of a travel day after dropping the trailer at the camp ground.
Anyone can service the tow vehicle and if I have a mechanical problem or want a change I only need to deal the truck. The miles that I will put on the trailer are in no way recorded so that the value won't be affected.
Everyone's situation is different. You need to ask how many miles are you going to travel, how large is your bank balance and what living arrangement best suits your needs.
Best of luck with your decision. I can tell you that it wasn't an easy decision for us to go from the MH to the 5th wheel but I think that was right for us.

I have a 30Foot GT MH, not an over sized behemoth that you can't pull into most parks let alone some maintenance bays. I am never going to full time as I like my home base. Having been a class A instructor I wheel my coach pretty darn good. I have 1 ton GMC Sierra diesel dulle but I do not feel comfortable pulling anything that large behind me having driven many a big rig, seeing them jack knife because of wind, slick roads and poor braking skills. Then there is no access to the frig, bed, TV and rest room to keep my wife happy without having to stop as well as microwaving me a hot pocket and a hot cup of coco. As I said should your truck stop rolling your dead in the water particularly if it happens to be in a place where there is no cell service unless your packing a sat phone. I suppose the big difference is the mileage and your right on that Should we upgrade again that will something I take a hit for even as pristine as I keep it. All else in the way of maintenance seems to be more to location than inconvenience and I have several large places and a Ford dealership I can take my coach within 5 miles of my home and for a price will gladly come to me if need be but out on the road we are all at the mercy of fate. I do recall over hearing a phone conversation once while at the dealership shopping where the service writer was asked if they would come pick up the customers 5th wheel service it, and then bring it back and park in their barn a 180 mile round trip the answer being a resounding no. So you see it's all a matter of perspective and from my point of view, I still like my house pulling my car.

WDK

Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
traveler

Thank you everyone for the invaluable feed back. It seems that both sides of the coin have been brought to light, and yes , while soul searching is now on the agenda, I have some really good points I had otherwise not considered.
Thanks a million, be safe on the road and stay between the ditches.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #14

Smile Motorhome Vs travel trailers

I've owned both much prefer the MH. Our favorite Georgetown is the XL378TS very roomy. As far as routine maintenance, I do the usual things change oil etc. The big item go to extended service contracts. Happy camping!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #15

My Two Cents

Years ago went from a popup to a small travel trailer. This while I was serving in the US Army. After retiring from my second career 5 years ago, my lovely wife has tolerated a nomadic existence traveling from Key West to the Arctic Circle and coast to coast more times than my butt likes to admit. We did the first 350,000 miles in our large oversized Navigator L and Expedition L. Having seen just about everything we wanted to see twice, we bought a large, lightweight travel trailer. Very nice. We so enjoyed the TT, we stepped up to the Georgetown 351DS to continue our traveling with our younger grandchildren.

We have a lovely, beautiful home that remains home base but we spend more up to 7 months traveling.

Because we enjoy traveling so much and we want to share that with our grandchildren the easy answer is exactly what we have - 2 stationary bunk beds and a third that drops down.

The gasser is a little noisier than the diesel but the maintenance costs are WAY less. I am a tinkerer so I will take on most any of the things that need to be fixed should it go wrong.

We still have a Navigator L and a Ford Explorer. Love the Navigator when we are home. The Explorer is our toad now and we love that on the road. Four wheel drive, room for 6 or 7 peeps (lots of room for the grandchildren when we stop). And the V10 handles it very easily. Don't have room in my garage for a big truck.

So hope this dissertation helps. For us - the motorhome is a no brainer. Much easier to setup, much nicer to travel in and much nicer to stay in for us.

Good luck and enjoy the empty nest/retirement.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #16

reinreb

It sounds like you can handle most mechanical problems. With that aside you need to evaluate the initial costs and ongoing driving costs in relations to how many miles you expect to drive in the next few years.

I also started out small with a popup then a few 5th wheel and in 2012 after we retired bought our first motorhome. We expected to use it and not waste money sitting in the yard.

Since 2012 we now have over 35,000 miles on our Georgetown and usually spend at least 3 to 4 months on the road a year seeing the places we want to see.

Georgetown's with the V-10 will only give you 7 to 8.8 mpg and drive fairly nicely with a few mods. This mileage is pretty close to any diesel pusher and with the gas prices always lower than diesel its a bargain.

A new rig will always have repairs under warranty for the first year and you can look around about all the small issues we all have had.
The Ford frame, engine, transmission is not a problem so don't worry about that as the engine and drive train has a good warranty.

So the question is how many trips a year do you plan in the next 5 years?
How many miles between locations or do you plan to stay locally?
Find a motorhome that you really like in size that you won't have to upgrade to a larger one in 1 year. I have the 378 with 3 slides and my wife and I like the larger open living space and smaller bedroom area.
We added a washer/dryer combo that is worth its weight in gold when travelling and you don't have to pay the local laundry to wash your shorts. lol.

Depending on where you are located its always nice to check out all the dealers and don't over look some rig a few years old with low mileage.
These will save you a ton of money.

Most of us have spend between $110,000 to $159,000 for a Georgetown and as soon as you take it home you lose at least $20,000.
So if you find a good rig a few years old for $80,000 to $95,000 with all the things you need you should also consider them.

Take care and have a pleasant holiday looking around for your dream motorhome.

Oh check Craigslist to get ideas and pricing for a used one. Its always helpful for starters.

Good Luck
Iggy

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #17

My wife and I have now been motor homing for 8 years. Going to a couple of RV shows and visiting local dealerships steered us into the drive-able RV right from the get go, though initially she wanted a class C. Now on our second A neither of us would even consider going the tow behind route. That is saying something because I really do like all the room you get in a 5th wheel, but could never picture trailering something so large or pushing the tow vehicle. The convenience of tooling down the two lane and having all of your comforts and amenities right at hand is just darn fun! Pulling into a rest stop for the night, shutting the window blinds, having a glass of wine to relax, sitting at the dinette for dinner and then hitting the sack to prepare for an early rise, coffee and depart, all with out even having to open the door....Priceless!
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #18
Grape Escape

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
My wife and I have now been motor homing for 8 years. Going to a couple of RV shows and visiting local dealerships steered us into the drive-able RV right from the get go, though initially she wanted a class C. Now on our second A neither of us would even consider going the tow behind route. That is saying something because I really do like all the room you get in a 5th wheel, but could never picture trailering something so large or pushing the tow vehicle. The convenience of tooling down the two lane and having all of your comforts and amenities right at hand is just darn fun! Pulling into a rest stop for the night, shutting the window blinds, having a glass of wine to relax, sitting at the dinette for dinner and then hitting the sack to prepare for an early rise, coffee and depart, all with out even having to open the door....Priceless!
X2, would never go back
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
WDK

Quote:

My sentiments EXACTLY!!!! And when you do reach your destination, 20 to 30 minutes setting could be on the lengthly side for some....happy trails!

WDK
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Sweet!

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer