Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Well said. Love it here also

US Army - Retired and loving it with our Georgetown 351DS and now our Thor Challenger 37TB.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
I have yet to see an "A" with 4' slides on both sides. In our 8329 we watch TV straight on, not bending our neck around a corner. An "A" seems like nothing more then a greyhound bus with a dinette.

But I still look up when one of those big honkers comes coasting into a campsite. Merry Christmas everyone .

Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
OK sherman 12, now you are playing dirty with all those lovely images of life on the road and having everything at your finger tips.
Looking forward now, to the winter RV shows where some of my queries may be smoothed out.
take care all and thanks
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Rockwood 8315 BSS.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #24
Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
We went the other way.

We had owned 4 fifth wheels before we "upgraded" to a motor home. In 6 year we logged over 75,000 miles and loved every minute (always regular maintenance and a 5 year extended warantee.. used for 2 very major problems) but then the extended warantee ran out and the out of pocket maintenance started, 6 new tires, 4 new batteries, a plugged air transfer hose and almost $10,000 dollars later we were back on the road but more to come. We decided to free ourselves up and went back to a fifth wheel with an F150 crew cab. We are very happy and now have some cash left to travel again.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
I am not sure why the Maintenance cost of a MH would be much different than 5th Wheel unless your talking strictly motor and drive train though I am opened to be enlightened. There is also the added cost of paying for and maintaining the truck that pulls your 5th wheel and unless your really going big, my purchase price for a new 2014 out the door at a trade show was $87,000 comparable to any truck and trailer. A coworker has had his brand new 5th wheel, one of the big ones, 40 foot with 4 slides on each side and his has been in the shop just as much if not more than I have had my new MH in there which initially was more than I wanted though I was meticulous about getting things under warranty fixed before the the extended warranty kicks in. If things are going to go wrong, there will be easy fixes and some costly, some under warranty and some not. That's the cost of doing business and perhaps has a lot more to do with the quality of what you buy and a little luck rather than MH or 5th wheel.

WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Having owned and driven an MH for a couple of years now I have found the biggest complaint we have had is heating and cooling while driving down the road. If you have ever driven through Phoenix in the summer you know what I mean. That big windshield can be a problem when driving into the sun. Even running the generator to power both AC units doesn't help much.
The heater is even worse. I don't think running the propane heater while driving would be a good idea so you're stuck with the dash heater that works so so.
I realize that mine is a lower level MH but I think the problems are in all of them to one degree or another.
Just my 2 pennies
Joel K
Southeast AZ
2013 Coachman Mirada 29DSSE
jk510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #27
Happily Retired Member

The propane heater is the only way to keep the motorhome warm when driving down the road in cold weather. The front vehicle heater is not made to heat the motor home. It is only a standard truck cab heater.

Mickey & Sue Stamper
2013 GT XL 378TS
Fire Mist

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer