Old 12-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Travel Trailer to Motor Home

Having about 16 months left before retirement, my chief navigator and I are contemplating the next step in our life on the road. As a blended family and with 6 kids we started with tents, moved to a 22’ Gulf Breeze TT, after school was finished and now have a wonderful Rockwood 8315bss (no bunks).
We are exploring the pros and cons of moving to a MH. The Georgetown is the unit we feel would best suit our style and needs.
As I am not mechanically inclined, my biggest concern is that I won’t be able to repair what may need to be fixed. Calling in repair mechanics would cost a fortune. Oh sure, I can do the maintenance jobs on the Rockwood (water heater, furnace, plumbing etc.) moving to a MH is an entirely different scale. I am one who enjoys the tinkering and messing about to make for a peaceful and fun road trip.
So, my question is, what do MH owners do in terms of maintenance, how far do you get into it or do you have it done by dealers and service reps.
Thanks for your advice.

2011 Ram 1500 Quad Rockwood 8315 BSS.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
We have a 2005 Georgetown so, warranty issues are way behind us. Since I am in my 70's now, I really can't do a lot of repairs that I did in my younger days so, my approach is to find a good truck mechanic for oil changes and motor/ chassis repairs.

For most motor home repairs I wait until I am in Florida for a few months and hire a mobile service to do simple repairs. There are good services here that are reasonably priced.

I make sure to visit the FROG Rally each August where I get other things taken care of.

Now, that said you will want to find someone who can do generator maintenance every year or so and perhaps a local dealer for the serious stuff.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
You may also want explore an extended warranty and not sweat the big repairs.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Sounds like your handy. You can Tinker with most anything on your coach too. Most things are just located different and some are hard to access. So as long as willing and able I'd say no problems. Just know your limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Georgetown 351DS
Chevy Colorado Crew
GABoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Do you want your house to pull your car ... Or your car to pull your house? Personally I like my SUV and camper. My sister has a beautiful motor coach... It has very expensive maintenance.
Paddle whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Georgetown 359

We have been living aboard our 2004 Forest River Georgetown 359 for about six years and love it. However, I caution you that Forest River is notorious for their lack of service after you purchase. I might even go so far as to say they are rather grumpy when called for information.
2ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
I have a 2013 Georgetown XL that I bought new in 2012. So far the the chassis/engine has only had oil changes and lubes. I did have the air conditioner checked under warranty, but there was no problem, just didn't blow as cold as I thought it should. I went from a 2007 Dodge Mega-Cab dually with the 6.7 diesel pulling a 23' Weekend Warrior. I'm sorry I got rid of my dually, as we were just looking to upgrade to a larger toyhauler. We went to a large R.V. sale and got caught up in the moment. Our Georgetown has been a pain in the a__. I suggest if you can hitch up the trailer and don't mind pulling it, that you stay with that type of rig. My wife convinced me due to medical reasons that we needed a motor home. It is a lot less work setting up, but the slide hoses are failing and Forest River will not acknowledge me now that the warranty time is out of date. Take your time and really research the different brands. I thought we had, but apparently not well enough. Good luck with your search.
Bubbamace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
My wife and I went from a Class A, diesel pusher to a trailer due to the overall expense of owning one. Anytime you take one of these in for service, it's an automatic $1000 visit! Having air brakes, air suspension, automatic levelers, programable automatic transmissions, jake brakes are nice but require constant care. Everything about them is more complex. Pre-trip inspections are almost as involved as pre-flight inspections on airplanes. Plus, while my wife is an excellent driver, she didn't feel confident enough to drive ours on any road except the interstates. If you can afford the ownership and can operate it like a city bus, then go for it. They are a wonderful way to travel and live in!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Originally Posted by Paddle whisperer View Post
Do you want your house to pull your car ... Or your car to pull your house? Personally I like my SUV and camper. My sister has a beautiful motor coach... It has very expensive maintenance.

I think I would prefer my house pulling my car....while the quality of anything is thing is for sure if it rolls, goes up and, pushes, pulls or blows, it's going to break or require maintenance. If my home can't pull car anymore than at least I have the option of a second vehicle to go down the road a bit to get a part rather than being stuck and waiting on the road for it to come to me.

WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
I would tell you that this decision will require a lot of soul searching on your behalf.
We had a 37 foot Georgetown with 3 slide outs and put about 70,000kms on it. I truly enjoyed driving the large vehicle and the living space was close to perfect. When it came time to trade the unit I lost lots of $s because of the mileage. It seems that there are MHs out there that haven't traveled very far and they made mine less desirable.
Having a toad with us there was the freedom for shopping and dining etc.
This is a very large rig with a car behind to get in and out of fuel stops, lunch stops and so on.
You require a large truck repair shop to get even simple things repaired.
We had a hydraulic problem in our own driveway with the jacks down and slides out which rendered us totally immobile until we could convince a hydraulic person to make a house call. (They all want the vehicle to go to them) Finding even an oil change location can be an episode when on a trip and the mileage is up. Trailer parks frown on you doing this sort of thing at the campsite.
We traded that MH for a 38 ft 5th wheel with 3 slide outs and a pickup. This provides much better living area for our needs. Now we do our fueling at the end of a travel day after dropping the trailer at the camp ground.
Anyone can service the tow vehicle and if I have a mechanical problem or want a change I only need to deal the truck. The miles that I will put on the trailer are in no way recorded so that the value won't be affected.
Everyone's situation is different. You need to ask how many miles are you going to travel, how large is your bank balance and what living arrangement best suits your needs.
Best of luck with your decision. I can tell you that it wasn't an easy decision for us to go from the MH to the 5th wheel but I think that was right for us.

ttg is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, travel, travel trailer