Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #21

We NEVER travel without few gallons of water in the tank. A few yrs. ago, we had a blow out on trailer that caused a fire under trailer. Nothing is more frightening than seeing flames coming from under your trailer when you look through your mirrors. A Fedx driver stopped and used his fire extinguisher, we used ours that came with the trailer, but it just was too small to do the job. We began throwing water on it & finally it stopped. The fedx driver no more started back to his truck & it started up again. With water from our fresh water tank, again, we started filling up a jug & throwing it on the flame. Again, it stopped, the driver started down the road, and again the fire started up. After several gallons of the water, we were finally able to extinguish it. Lesson learned: Get a bigger fire extinguisher & always travel with enough water for an emergency! We never leave home without it
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #22

Another thought. Late, but still a thought. We broke down today, losing all our transmission fluid between Butte and Idaho Falls. Were towed (Coach-Net) 110 miles to a Freightliner place near Bozeman. They have power (20a), but we're outside their perimeter fence and at least 100 yards from their buildings. We did not fill the FW tank inasmuch as we were heading to a full hook-up site. That's an error I'll not make again! We'll be here at least two nights ......
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #23

Always carry enough to last one day. Here are the reasons from experience.

- stuck in traffic for 8 hours standing still. Could still live in our MH.
- campground posted contaminated water. Did not want to fill with that and contaminate the whole system.
- campground water was turned off. Hand pump to fill pails.

I can go on and on, but I always carry enough for one day of use. If I am flat land traveling (no mountains) I will travel full. It reduces the sloshing effect.

Dave

David & Michelle
270 Georgetown Motorhome
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #24

Wow, great thread for a newbie like me. Thanks for asking this! The water at the state park last weekend was gross.
ApexBunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #25

We also carry enough bottled water for a couple/few days of drinking/cooking.
You can fill up at a campground and only discover later that the water has a lousy taste. Water in the Moab area would be a good example....too much mineral content.
Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, travel, water