Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Travel without coach batteries?

My coach batteries will no longer hold a charge and need replacing. I am taking the MH to storage this weekend and would like to remove the coach batteries at home and purchase new ones when it comes out of storage in the spring. Can I drive the MH without the coach batteries? Also, does the generator use the coach or chassis battery for starting power? I need to run it to get the fuel stabilizer through. 2008 Georgetown 38' 6500 W generator.
wasaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Your generator does use coach batteries to start. I don't know if the battery interlock switch will transfer engine battery power to coach? Maybe someone knows.

If you need to run generator, do so before you remove coach batteries. Personally, I would be nervous taking the coach batteries out of the circuit and then trying to run stuff.

I don't see why the engine wouldn't run OK without coach batteries though. So you could probably drive the coach somewhere sans batteries. I have driven my GT with the battery disconnect switch in the off position.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

Will your internal system still try to 'charge' batteries that are not there?

May not be a good thing.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

I believe you can start the chassis engine and the alternator feed (bus) to charge the coach batteries will supply power to start the generator. The battery interconnect switch enables the coach batteries to supply starting power for the chassis engine if your chassis battery is low. I think this is correct. I think you can pull your batteries anytime you want. Just be sure to insulate the positive wires. One other thing the storage relay, if you have one is a latching relay and may have to be set to on to allow generator start from chassis alternator.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You should be ok to travel without the batteries. As for starting the generator, try it before you leave home for the storage. Why not just leave the batteries in there and bring them home once you get the RV to the storage area?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

The only thing I can think is that without coach batteries the hydraulic system may lose pressure and it would be unable to hold the levelers up or hold the slides in.
Running the generator will do nothing with no coach batteries and the charger just won't see any batteries and it wouldn't harm the charger at all. It would be like just plugging in a battery charger and never hook them up to a battery.
Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

there is nothing on the hydraulic system that needs power when you are not using it.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

One other note. Typically your steps, awning and other items are probably fused directly off your coach batteries. Therefore you will not be able to retract the steps if you wanted to for storage if the batteries are disconnected prior to closing the door for the last time. Maybe not an issue for you.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
there is nothing on the hydraulic system that needs power when you are not using it.

Humm. I thought if the pressure drops below a set pressure the electric pump will turn on to bring it back up to proper pressure.
I would only guess this is how it will maintain the pistons in the correct positions.
But you may be correct but I would worry if I was driving with no coach batteries.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Humm. I thought if the pressure drops below a set pressure the electric pump will turn on to bring it back up to proper pressure. I would only guess this is how it will maintain the pistons in the correct positions. But you may be correct but I would worry if I was driving with no coach batteries.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will run the generator to get the stabilizer through before I remove the batteries. From your comments, I believe I can drive the MH without coach batteries as it would be the same as driving with the battery disconnect engaged. I will be sure to insulate the battery cables in case the chassis battery is trying to send power to them. I will not be running anything while going to storage (about 15 miles) and it doesn't matter if the stairs don't function. The storage is indoor and there is not a lot of time or room to try to do anything when you arrive. The slides will stay in and the jacks up, so, no concern there.
Thanks again, I knew I could find the info on this forum.
wasaga is offline   Reply With Quote