Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Traveling with frig on

Can you have the frig on while traveling in the electric mode by the generator running. Since this will be are first time traveling with our georgetown i want to be sure. Also to get the frig cold first--can you put the generator on and then put the frig in electric mode. Thanks in advance for your input.

bojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Yes, but why use the generator. Use propane.

Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
X2 for fridge on while traveling.
Been discused many times here.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Yes, but why use the generator. Use propane.
X2 Propane while driving
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Site Team
We took a poll and nearly 80% of the respondents said they travel
with the LP on.
Here is a link to the discussion and poll results.

Do you run with your LP on or off

In order of $$$ out of your pocket.
Least expensive to run the fridge is shore power electric.
next is LP and
running a generator to power your fridge on electric is the most expensive
of all.

Welcome to Forest River Forums!!
Happy Camping
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
It seems counter intuitive but it's generally understood that the fridge cools better on gas (LP) then it does on electric. So if you want it to cool down quickly or it's having trouble staying cool switch to gas.

While driving I run the fridge on auto. So if the generator is running it'll use electricity and if not it'll use gas.

Also it's probably important to mention that the fridge uses very little gas. When set to auto it'll cycle the gas on and off (depending on your model, read your manual carefully) to keep itself cool. I've dry camped for two weeks and noticed little difference in my LP level with the fridge running on gas the whole time.
2008 Georgetown SE 350DS BunkHouse
jsutherl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Gas is the way to go. I turn fridge on the night before we leave. Wait till morning to fill with food. Always cold, no problems.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Safer with the fridge on propane then pulling out of your driveway. Same philosophy as " which is safer flying or driving to the airport". Flying is a million times safer yet people are afraid to fly.

The gas is cheaper to run then the genset. We put the refer on "auto" and let it figure it out.
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
This was the first issue I faced when we bought our 327 last year. we don't like driving with the propane on, and there's a few bridges and tunnels where it's forbidden to cross if you have propane turned on. (At least that was true the last time I went across them a few years ago.) The fridge draws just under 300W when the cooling unit is actively working on AC and almost no power when it's not, just like the fridge in your home. My solution was to install an inverter which gives me 110AC. The unit I chose has a 1kw capacity, remote operating control panel, internal transfer switch and is a modified sine wave unit. The fridge only uses the AC to run an electric heater so the MSW output isn't an issue. The internal transfer switch automatically shuts down the inverter when the generator is running or shore power is available. The control panel has an accurate voltmeter which aids in monitoring the house battery condition.

We use the inverter to power the fridge only when we're driving. the 25A load is easily handled by the 175A alternator that comes with the Ford chassis. Dry camping sessions are handled by switching to propane as part of the "setup for camping" checklist.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
I use propane while driving for the fridge but also use a wireless indoor outdoor thermometer so I can monitor the temps inside the fridge or freezer. I do not worry about or have to go inside and check the temp every time I stop to make sure nothing is going to get defrosted or spoiled. My freezer temps ranged from 1F to 3F the entire trip home from Texas 1478 miles.

Time spent 2012 in TT 32 days so far and 21 Planned days this Fall with mini trips in between
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500
2012 XLR Hyper Lite 27HFS
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote

led pad