Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

Trip out West

This is my first post but I have been viewing this site for about a year. Our family purchased a Georgetown 351 this past May and have loved our adventures with the new RV. The people on this site are a wealth of knowledge and I have very much appreciate everyone's comments. We are starting to plan for a trip (summer of 2016) out west (Yellowstone, Colorado, Bad Lands, etc). Is there a site, thread or app that would help us plan for this two week trip from Ohio?
teamg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

When we had our Georgetown we took this same trip from Cincinnati. It's a great trip you will love it.
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #3

AAA if you're a member. Allstays is a great Ap to find parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #4

After you start your planning, you can ask more specific questions here on things to see or campground info. Many of us have visited those areas.

Of course, we don't consider it "out west" unless you cross the Rockies.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #5

Try RVPARKY.com and also there is a app for your phone if you have one. Did that trip this past summer and the app came in handy more than a few times. It has all your pilot/flying J, walmarts, all campgrounds and more. Have a safe trip.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

Welcome Teamg5 to the forum.
We have a great On The Road Forum here that is divied into the parts of the country.
I have used it a lot.
Here is the Forum leak to it.
On the Road | Travel Chat - Forest River Forums

You need to tell us where you are located and what route you plan on using.

I have visited Yellowstone a few years ago and really like the west entrance in West Yellowstone.
We stayed at the Grizzly RV Resort there.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Go to TOMBSTONE and spend 3 nights at STAMPEDE RV PARK. Book on OFFICE Side of side road. It is OLD, DUSTY, eclectic and right in town 5 minute WALK to OK Corral.
Breakfast, for a fee, in office. Worth doing! It's a place you will never forget!
Visit FOUNTAIN HILLS, AZ. Stay at Eagle View RV Resort. WOW! What a contrast in these 2 parks. 5 mins back road to Fountain Hills. Stayed there a MONTH. Wild horses; $1 million motor homes, travel trailers, etc. Park is owned by Yavapi Indians.
Plan on WINSLOW, AZ....stand'n on a corner in Winslow, AZ 👍.
Hit some Route 66 towns. Of course hit the Black Hills, Bad Lands, Yellowstone, and on and on!
Going back again either 2016 or 17!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
geezer with gadgets

Welcome from SE Virginia! If you are a Good Sam member their trip planner on their web site is useful. As you refine your voyage you will get a lot more input from the members here. They are a great resource!

Happy travels!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #9

And don't forget UT...Arches, Zion, Brice, Canyonlands...such beautiful national parks!
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

Thanks to all for your responses. These are the helpful comments we were hoping to receive. Yes we definitely need to fine tune our plans. We will continue to work on our trip and use the comments/links to help with planning. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We are also planning a trip out west next summer (mid June) in our new 364, and we are just down the road from you in Tipp City. We have 3 families going as of now. We are going to take a northernly route out and circle back down through the southern states. Have to be back by July 6th for a weekend in Ft Loramie
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
jcw

We live in Cincinnati and took a 2 week trip out west in a Sunseeker 3010ds back in 2013. We have since upgraded to a Georgetown 351ds. You will have a blast. Below is our rough itinerary.

Day 1 CVG to Normal, IL
Day 2 Normal, IL to Badlands
Day 3 explore badlands, stop by Wall Drugs on way to Custer State Park. Awesome campsites
Day 4-5 Explore around Custer State Park
Day 6 up early to Mt Rushmore and then onto Red Lodge, MT
Day 7 Red Lodge to Yellowstone via NE entrance - amazing climb and drive. Take your time though in the RV.
Day 8-10 In Yellowstone
Day 11 travel to Grand Tetons
Day 12 head to Jackson Hole
Day 13-14 Jackson Hole - make sure you white water raft on Snake River
Day 15-16 Head home

Amazing family time! The first meal we ate out was in Jackson Hole. All other were at campsites or picnics we made for the travel day. We made a blog about the trip. Private message me and I will send you the link.
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #13

JCW has a nice plan for 2 weeks. You could do 2 weeks in Colo. and it easy to do 2 week in Utah.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
We live in Cincinnati and took a 2 week trip out west in a Sunseeker 3010ds back in 2013. We have since upgraded to a Georgetown 351ds. You will have a blast. Below is our rough itinerary.

Day 1 CVG to Normal, IL
Day 2 Normal, IL to Badlands
Day 3 explore badlands, stop by Wall Drugs on way to Custer State Park. Awesome campsites
Day 4-5 Explore around Custer State Park
Day 6 up early to Mt Rushmore and then onto Red Lodge, MT
Day 7 Red Lodge to Yellowstone via NE entrance - amazing climb and drive. Take your time though in the RV.
Day 8-10 In Yellowstone
Day 11 travel to Grand Tetons
Day 12 head to Jackson Hole
Day 13-14 Jackson Hole - make sure you white water raft on Snake River
Day 15-16 Head home

Amazing family time! The first meal we ate out was in Jackson Hole. All other were at campsites or picnics we made for the travel day. We made a blog about the trip. Private message me and I will send you the link.
Hey JCW, how was that drive up the Beartooth? Did you have a toad? I have driven it many times in a car (and snowmobile) but wasn't sure about taking the motorhome. I have aunt/uncle that live in Cooke City, and if we can visit them without taking the north entrance, would save us many hours of drive time.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #15

Two weeks is a relatively short time out west. I have been to every state out west and most of the national parks. My advice would be to make a list of places you would most like to see. Also be realistic on how many miles per day you are willing to drive. Also try to plan how many days you want to spend at each location. For example, Yellowstone is very large and requires at least 3 days (not counting arrival and departure) to see most of it. Jackson Hole requires 2 or 3 days especially if you raft the Snake. I rafted it in late spring when the water was wild! Places like the Badlands, Rushmore, Custer Battlefield, Devil's Tower can be seen in sequence on the way to Yellowstone. From Ohio you will need at least two travel days pushing hard to get to/from anywhere near these locations. With 14 days available you will have about 10 days to see the rest, so plan carefully. You don't want to spend most of your time rushing from place to place so set your priorities so you spend your time wisely.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Two weeks is a relatively short time out west. I have been to every state out west and most of the national parks. My advice would be to make a list of places you would most like to see. Also be realistic on how many miles per day you are willing to drive. Also try to plan how many days you want to spend at each location. For example, Yellowstone is very large and requires at least 3 days (not counting arrival and departure) to see most of it. Jackson Hole requires 2 or 3 days especially if you raft the Snake. I rafted it in late spring when the water was wild! Places like the Badlands, Rushmore, Custer Battlefield, Devil's Tower can be seen in sequence on the way to Yellowstone. From Ohio you will need at least two travel days pushing hard to get to/from anywhere near these locations. With 14 days available you will have about 10 days to see the rest, so plan carefully. You don't want to spend most of your time rushing from place to place so set your priorities so you spend your time wisely.
Excellent advice!
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
I Break Everything

We did that trip, but from Texas a few years ago. AAA has some good stuff and I use RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks as well.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #18

We really appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming. Thanks again.