Old 10-21-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Conservative Warrior

Truck stops

Recently returned from 2000 mile trip. I usually stop at truck stops for gas due to the convenience and stores. I used Pilot, Flying J, and Loves. I should mention that I have a gasser, not DP. I found that to me Loves was the best of the 3 for space and ease of use. Was wondering if others have made comparisons, their choice and reason

Old 10-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
Recently returned from 2000 mile trip. I usually stop at truck stops for gas due to the convenience and stores. I used Pilot, Flying J, and Loves. I should mention that I have a gasser, not DP. I found that to me Loves was the best of the 3 for space and ease of use. Was wondering if others have made comparisons, their choice and reason
Drove truck for 15 years, have no idea why anyone would want to go in to one of them with a M/H or TT. Their prices are higher than the ordinary gas station. We pull a 32 ft bumper pull and have yet to have any problem in a gas station. Just that some people are just plain rude but I saw that in most truck stops too.

Days camped in 2015--180 days--2016--95 days
2017--107 days & counting

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New GY Endurance tires 7/17,TV-2015 Duramax with over 120,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 5000 miles
herbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #3
JBP

Stop at Pilot Flying J most often Loves next. We also like Buc-ee's in Texas. Really like the RV lanes.
Gas stations last resort. Had to unhook twice at gas station twice. Had to ask people to move once.
If you ever get to Texas look for and stop at Buc-ee's. Fuel price excellent space for getting RV in is excellent also. Also they have marked off areas to walk dogs.
We are 38 foot pulling Lincoln at the time. As many know you can not back.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

I believe the FlyingJ brand is more Rv friendly than Pilot even though they are one in the same. Flying J has rv lanes and dump stations where Pilot does not.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
JBP

I agree.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Going to have to agree with Herbike on this one. I don't use any of those places.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #7

I use Pilot quite a bit and find their prices usually okay. Flying J, hardly ever stop and it seems Loves is many times the highest of any station in the area... but I only knew about the southeast. When traveling out West, I found Loves to be competitive on prices and nicer than many others. I was traveling with a truck camper which was easy to get into and out of gas stations.
WW
Triumph Thunderbird - 2010

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

I use truck stops for ease of convince and I am willing to pay a little more for this. I usually am pulling my 5er when I fill up my truck with diesel. My total length is 57 feet. So, it is a lot easier to get into a truck lane when filing up and not a normal gas station island. We even have two reference books that we use to find truck stops for filling up one is "The RV'ERS Friend" and the other is "The Next Exit".
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

We've been using the truck stops since we moved up to this current camper. Now I have diesel so it's even better to use the truck stops. Some of the flying J's have the rv lanes which can be nice. While some of them do charge more for the fuel they are still often much cheaper than pa diesel... And sometimes the extra couple cents is worth it.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
Back On The Go

When I had a DP towing a car I used truck stops and truck lanes mostly because of space and long handles on squeegees. No trucker was ever rude and I always pulled forward after fueling prior to paying inside. Now I use FlyingJ and Pilot as much as possible and with Good Sam membership card get $.05 discount. Buc-ees is the best, with the cleanest lanes and sparkling clean bathrooms. Use the GasBuddy app on your smartphone to see what fuel prices are where you will be; sometimes folks will post pictures of the station, too so you can see beforehand if they are RV friendly. Edit: just looked at the app and I didn't find photos; perhaps the developers have removed this capability.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck