Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #1

Turn Signal Problem

Hello Friend,

I am having a problem with my turn signal, both of left and right does not work, since it does not work, the left and right camera do not work either.

However,
1 - When I push my emergency signal, the emergency signal flash just fine. so, nothing wrong with the bulbs.
2 - If I lightly touch the brake with my foot, and manually flipping the turn signal lever, the turn signal light flashed as I flipped the turn signal lever on the left or the right depending on which way I turned.

Do you have any idea if this is a simple problem with the flasher relay or something that I need to take to FORD for them to work on?

Many thanks,

Tam Le
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Hello Friend,

I am having a problem with my turn signal, both of left and right does not work, since it does not work, the left and right camera do not work either.

However,
1 - When I push my emergency signal, the emergency signal flash just fine. so, nothing wrong with the bulbs.
2 - If I lightly touch the brake with my foot, and manually flipping the turn signal lever, the turn signal light flashed as I flipped the turn signal lever on the left or the right depending on which way I turned.

Do you have any idea if this is a simple problem with the flasher relay or something that I need to take to FORD for them to work on?

Many thanks,

Tam Le
Both front and rear? I just had to replace one of my bulbs (left rear) the right flashed normally and the fronts flashed though the left front flashed quicker than right. The dash was blinking fast when turning left, but the right was blinking normal - that's how i identified just the left rear needed to be replaced. Before i replaced the bulb, i checked my hazard lights, they were working normally. Were yours blinking normally too? I think you may have two bulbs burned out. Were you looking at the light fixtures outside?
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Both front and rear? I just had to replace one of my bulbs (left rear) the right flashed normally and the fronts flashed though the left front flashed quicker than right. The dash was blinking fast when turning left, but the right was blinking normal - that's how i identified just the left rear needed to be replaced. Before i replaced the bulb, i checked my hazard lights, they were working normally. Were yours blinking normally too? I think you may have two bulbs burned out. Were you looking at the light fixtures outside?
The bulbs are fine when the hazard light switch was on, only the turn signal was not working on both left and right. But if I touch the brake lightly, and manually click the turn signal, the signal light came on, for the left or the right depending on which way I flipped.

I did look at some other threads in the forum, and some suggested that the ground was loose, I check the ground where they suggested and they were tight.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #4

Quote:
The bulbs are fine when the hazard light switch was on, only the turn signal was not working on both left and right. But if I touch the brake lightly, and manually click the turn signal, the signal light came on, for the left or the right depending on which way I flipped.

I did look at some other threads in the forum, and some suggested that the ground was loose, I check the ground where they suggested and they were tight.
If I were you, I'd remove the lens and check the bulbs. That's probably the best way to go about it. I've had both bulbs burn out at the same time once before. Could save you from going to Ford $$$$$
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
If I were you, I'd remove the lens and check the bulbs. That's probably the best way to go about it. I've had both bulbs burn out at the same time once before. Could save you from going to Ford $$$$$
Thanks for your help, but the bulbs are fine. As I mentioned above, if I lightly touch the brake with my foot, and flip on the turn signal lever manually, the turn signal light does blink as I flip on the lever.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #6

Cheap check...turn off and on the hazard switch a few times. Pretty common issue with column mounted hazard switches with a little age or lots of armor all. If that corrects the problem you will eventually need to install signal switch...you might get a few more years out of it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

tamdle,I have done Lots of Research on "Turn Signals" and 75% of Vehicles on the road have "None",I wish the Auto/Truck MFG would Install them! Sure Helps figure out Other People's intensions! Youroo!!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Having issues with my side view cameras and turn signal. I had to trace the wiring from the cameras to the multiplexer and to the trigger connectors. You may have a loose connection at the triggers. You will have to look under the dash for the multiplexer and follow the colored wires going to the triggers which is near by. Multiplexer looks like this. Does the backup camera work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	142587  
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Having issues with my side view cameras and turn signal. I had to trace the wiring from the cameras to the multiplexer and to the trigger connectors. You may have a loose connection at the triggers. You will have to look under the dash for the multiplexer and follow the colored wires going to the triggers which is near by. Multiplexer looks like this. Does the backup camera work?
The backup camera works fine.

If I lightly touch the brake with my foot and flip the turn signal lever to the right (top) the right camera displayed fine and the right turn light lit up but not blink, if I flip the turn signal lever to the bottom (left), the left camera displayed fine and the turn signal light lit up but not blink.

If I take the foot off the brake, turn the lever up or down does not effect anything.

It seems to me the blinker flasher may have defected, but it does not make sense because there are 2 flasher relays, one for the left and one for the right and it could not be both went out at the same time.

Also, I just found out that the daytime running light is not working either.

It must be a short or something.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #10

Still under warranty? Going to take a good tech to find the cause!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
tamdle,I have done Lots of Research on "Turn Signals" and 75% of Vehicles on the road have "None",I wish the Auto/Truck MFG would Install them! Sure Helps figure out Other People's intensions! Youroo!!
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but after reading your post 5 times, I still don't understand what are you trying to tell me. All I got was you had done a lot of research about "Turn Signals", and 75% of the vehicles on the road have "None". None of what?

It maybe my English is not as good as I thought.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Still under warranty? Going to take a good tech to find the cause!
I just sent a message to Cel, the coach is still under warranty by both of FR and by FORD, just think of taking the coach to FORD for them to work on, I am just not so thrill.

The nearest FORD service center is about 80 miles and I have to drive through Houston with no turn signal. That is not so comforting.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but after reading your post 5 times, I still don't understand what are you trying to tell me. All I got was you had done a lot of research about "Turn Signals", and 75% of the vehicles on the road have "None". None of what?

It maybe my English is not as good as I thought.
It's called sarcasm....kinda hard to detect on the internet. My research has shown at least 90% of the cars in Atlanta do not have the turn signal option. That's ok because if you activate a turn signal there it's a message to other drivers to speed up and cut you off.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
I just sent a message to Cel, the coach is still under warranty by both of FR and by FORD, just think of taking the coach to FORD for them to work on, I am just not so thrill.

The nearest FORD service center is about 80 miles and I have to drive through Houston with no turn signal. That is not so comforting.
Call first, a lot of dealers don't want to do warranty work (or state inspection) on large motorhomes.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #15

You may be right that the flasher is defective or a loose ground. They are cheap. Not sure how accessible it is.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
clr

First from your post I would assume that when you say that both your left and right turn signal does not work, that you mean the front and also the rear turn signals on both side do not work. I would suspect the multiplex that the turn signals feed through if none of the turn signals work. Also that is the only thing that I know of that is common to both sides of the vehicle. Not sure but I do not think that the multiplexer is a Ford item therefore you would have to take this problem to the RV dealer. If it was me I would take a multi-meter to both sides of the multiplexer wiring both in and out to the turn signals and see what I got. If you have voltage going into the multiplexer on a turn signal lead and low or no voltage on the output lead going to the turn signal I would suspect the multiplexer was bad or had a bad ground.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
First from your post I would assume that when you say that both your left and right turn signal does not work, that you mean the front and also the rear turn signals on both side do not work. I would suspect the multiplex that the turn signals feed through if none of the turn signals work. Also that is the only thing that I know of that is common to both sides of the vehicle. Not sure but I do not think that the multiplexer is a Ford item therefore you would have to take this problem to the RV dealer. If it was me I would take a multi-meter to both sides of the multiplexer wiring both in and out to the turn signals and see what I got. If you have voltage going into the multiplexer on a turn signal lead and low or no voltage on the output lead going to the turn signal I would suspect the multiplexer was bad or had a bad ground.
The multiplexer is an RVS systems component installed by FR at the factory. Yes, you could pull the power plug and check the prongs for current based on the diagram in the manual I referred to earlier. But I believe it's in the trigger wiring and specific to the turn signals as the rear camera is working fine. The fact that the turn signals work when the brakes are applied suggests a ground issue at the relay or triggers. JMHO!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #18

There has been reported issues with the steering wheel directional switch wiring having shorted/opened (at the steering wheel) and causing various problems. The emergency flasher switch bypasses the directional switches.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #19

Check the F-1 fuse at the central junction ( fuse ) box. It is hot only in the ignition run position. It feeds the flasher for your turn signals. The F-9 fuse also feeds your flasher for your emergency flashers. This is hot all of the time. Both F-1 and F-9 pass through the multi function switch and continue to the flasher. Your turn signals are probably working when you use the brake because they are back feeding back to the flasher through the brake light circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	142886  
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #20

Troubleshooting...go from easiest (and usually most likely) to the hardest.

I would still check the tail lights. Not to see if they are good, but to make sure they are the correct type. It sounds like you have a single connection bulb (1057) in a dual connection slot (1056 bulb). In these cases, the brake light will be the primary and the turn signals will come on, when you complete the circuit (foot on the brake and push the lever up or down). The turn signal in these cases will also not flash, when lit. It is worth a check.

If the bulbs are correct, then I would assume one of the assemblies is miswired, which would create the same situation. Check those next.

After that, you're back to tracing wires to find the culprit.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote