Old 11-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Tv and satellite question

I just purchased a Georegetown 2016 36 XL Black Diamond. I am pretty happy with it except for the leaking slides. (Leaked hydraulic fluid all over everything that was stored in the RV garage). My question is two fold. In the bedroom the TV will not pick up anything when I am hooked up to the coax input in the electrical compartment in the Rv garage. My other TV's pick up the signal but not the bedroom. How is the TV mounted (can I get access to the back? Maybe the ant cable is not hooked up to it?) Does anyone have a similar problem? The second part is I just bought a dish tailgater and wanted to hook it up to the coax in in the electrical compartment and place the satelite converter in the overhead compartment in the front of the rv above the passenger seat. I understand that all the TV's will get the same chanel .Will that work? Any ideas how to hook it up so all the TV's can get the same satelite signal?I am trying to avoid running the coax from the tailgater in through the door and directly into one TV. Iheard that when they build the coach there is a cable that is run to the roof for future satelite installation. Is there anyway to access that cable on the roof? Any suggestions will greatly be appreciatedy

Old 11-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

I don't have the model you have. I have a GT378 but maybe yours is wired the same. The sat prewire is usually stowed on the roof under the dummy vent cap over the copilot seat (yours may be different). This is what I did for my tailgater install using the park cable connection in the power bay for the antenna. The receiver is in the copilot overhead as you would like to do. Certainly there are other ways to accomplish your install goal and probably others will chime in with them. This is the install that best suited my needs. I don't have to worry about the over the air antenna (ota) power being off and can switch between the sat and ota at will (just change the input selector and tv input). This comes in handy if I want to watch local channels without calling dish to add them to the sat channel line up. I only will have SD sat viewing due to coax usage. There is no HDMI prewire installed and routing it is not an option, SD is fine for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my satellite.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	93696  

Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Bubbles
Thanks for the reply. I will try adding an a/b switch like you suggested ( that is what you are suggesting isn't it) in the copilot overhead. I was told that if there was a splitter anywhere in between the park cable in line that the satellite would not work. Any truth to that? Also did you ever think about permanently attaching the tailgater to the roof? I was considering that. Just curious on your thoughts. Also I cannot get the bedroom TV to get the signal from the park cable in, the over air works but not the park cable. The park cable works on the other 2 TV's. Any thoughts on that?
Renagade (Mitch)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #4

I'm only showing one way to use a tailgater for sat while camping and this is the way I did it (A/B switch is because I only use the park cable input port for my sat). You must have the new version of the tailgater if you mention permanent install as mine is not made for permanent install. If you install yours permanently that will defeat the ability to position it anywhere when trees are the issue for reception but that may not be a problem for you. It is my understanding that a splitter that is installed between the antenna input and the receiver is a no, no. Any splitter after the receiver is not an issue. My splitter is after the receiver.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Thanks again for the help. I will try that portable set up because you have a point about clear sky. I really appreciate the help.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #6

I had a issue with TV's not working when hooked up to cable. after checking everything I found that FR did not install coax wire from outside port to living room port. After fixing that I found that FR ran coax to all the other locations but then terminated the coax with no fitting and no hook up. Now after installing all new fittings and running new coax to the living room my cable works. They also did not run the coax for the dish but I have a roof mounted dish hard wired from dealer.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

I have the Dish Tailgater and wanted to receive HD programming.I bought a wireless hdmi transmitter from BestBuy.The wireless transmitter has a wireless receiver you hook up to the tv hdmi port, the transmitter hooks up to the Dish receiver and transmits the signal to the receiver and you get HD programming to the tv.You can get a wireless transmitter with up to 3 receivers to get HD programming to all tvs in the coach.I use the coaxial hook up in the electrical compartment to connect to the Tailgater and set the switch for the cable connection.Some day I'll use the satellite coax on the roof and run a connection down to the side of the coach for the Tailgater.Works well for me.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

How did you access the rear of the outside and bedroom TV's? In my rv I cannot get access to them. I was told that the TV's went in before the cabinets and cannot get access to the rear of the sets.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

If the TV is next to or between wardrobes, look for a port on the TV side of one of the cabinets. Might be a simple wood plate held by 4 screws. That will let you see the back of the set but might need VERY long arms to touch some of the cables.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #10

My tvs have an hdmi port on the side of the tv. The outside tv can be reached from underneath the kitchen sideout.My coach is a Georgetown 334XL.

Tags
satellite