Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

TV Cable, Antenna, Satellite clarification

My dear wife gave me a Tailgater for Christmas - yeah for the designated driver. We've left on a 2 month hiatus -often with 3 grandkids- in our 351DS and will be in a number of areas without TV cable and poor OTA reception. So...

First day on the road I got everything up and running BUT...The picture in the living room TV was very noisy - meaning lots of snow other TVs were less snowy.

I used the cable input in the rear storage area (next to power cable). I put the receiver into the storage area above passenger seat that houses the switcher box. Because the VIP211z doesn't have a coax out I used a RF modulator on the Y-R-W outs on the 211z to connect to the switcher box. I disconnected the cable connection and reconnected the modulator coax cable. This setup works BUT... the picture has lot of snow.

If I could understand the wiring diagram for the video cabling I could perhaps find the culprit. Might be a bad splitter, line, etc that doesn't measure up to the quality or specs needed for the satellite input.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

I have a 2012 378 and this is my interconnect. I use the VIP211K which has the coax out and that gives me SD sat to both TV's. I also use the park coax connection in the power cable bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_Wiring_Diagram.jpg
Views:	31913
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	67889  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Hey bud I have a sat in my 15 351. I had snowy pictures also until I tighted all the coax connections. I am sure u checked the ones on the TVs but the ones behind my forward over head tv and the ones hiding were the coax splits. You would think with an expensive coach they could at least use a/v cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

Bubbles - where did you get such a detailed sketch. I tried to print it but its fuzzy. Could you email a copy?
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

mack1roc - used the great wiring diagram from bubbles and some basic troubleshooting methods.

The results:

Bunk bed and outside TV pic is great.

Living room TV is snowy.

mack1roc or anyone - do you know where the antenna splits because that is where the issue is.

I have 5 tvs

1 in living room
1 on outside
1 in bedroom
2 in bunkbeds

Again the only tv with a suckie pic - the living room!!

Ideas - suggestion - LIke I say I believe it a splitter or cable. It doesn't seem as bad on just cable. I think satellite needs a better signal.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #6

I have a the same coach and almost the same amount of TVs except I have a tv over the cab in the front and behind that tv is where the main splitter is at and splits everything tightening that connection fixed my main tv and most others. I also tightened the connection that is in the bedroom. Behind the lower left drawer on the tv slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #7

mack1roc - thanks - I'll give it a whirl.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Happily Retired Member

Bigben

Twice on my 378ts the coax on the main TV got loose and the picture on that TV got real snowy but was still connected enough to get a picture. I had to pull the TV to get at the coax to plug it back in. So, the last time I pulled it to plug it back in, I used as real sticky foil tape and taped it to the TV back so it couldn't come lose again.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #9

Well - I couldn't get at the splitter in the front of my coach. BUT as I was attempting to get at the splitter (I removed the antenna amp) and was pulling the coax. I must have pulled the cable tighter and at least temporarily have a GREAT pic.

So I know for sure whatever the problem is (I think it is the splitter) it is located in the front by the amp!

Thanks for the help all.

PS: nothing like having dish reception in the middle of nowhere North Carolina!

Tags
antenna, cat, satellite