Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Tv on inverter power

335 georgetown

My residential frige works great on inverter with four batteries but I would like to run tv also anyone done this if so how.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

The only issues would be where to locate the inverter in relation to the TV. Also you my need a pure wave inverter other than the less expensive modified wave inverter. (Modified inverters can produce interference on TVs).
I am planning to install an inverter behind the 110 fuse panel with a transfer switch. One of my summer wish list/projects.
I am doing this so I can watch TV/DVD while going down the road or at the rest area without the generator.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #3

I installed a new TV in the bedroom of our Georgetown. Since it was a new TV purchase, I selected a model with low power consumption. This is easier to do now that there are many LED/LCD models to choose from. The older LCD TVs using cold cathode tubes to back light the screen consume much more power. The new TV is a 24" LG model that only uses 35 watts, and has power saving features available to use even less power, although with reduced picture quality.

I used a commercial grade Samlex 300 watt pure sine wave inverter. The inverter needs to be located as close as possible, but not in the same compartment as the batteries. Use heavy cables and keep the battery cables as short as possible to the inverter to minimize voltage drop. After the inverter converts the 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC, a longer 110 volt power cable can be run to the TV.

Just as with a generator, you want to select an inverter based on your power needs. It makes little sense to use a 2500 watt inverter to power a 35 watt LCD TV.

I installed dedicated electric outlets for the new TV and a few other small devices (laptop, AA battery chargers, etc.) in the Georgetown. Everything has been installed for over 1 year, with no problems. We find having the additional inverter supplied power outlets to be very convenient for various small needs, and save using the generator for big loads like the microwave oven and roof air conditioners.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #4

inverter power

My inverter is 2000 watts with four batteries it runs the frig all night with no problems, it also has a additional outlet on it. can i run a line from the inverter to tv for power if i do how will tv get power when i have land power?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #5

You will need to check how many watts both the refrigerator and TV use. The refrigerator will probably have a start-up surge demand that can be two to five times the amount of power it usually draws when running. The surge is caused by the compressor motor, and only lasts a few seconds. Most inverters have a surge or peak rating, along with a continuous use rating. If the inverter can handle both the refrigerator and TV wattage needs at the same time, then you may be able to run a power cord from the inverter to the TV. This could be as simple as an appropriate gauge extension cord, or you could add an electrical outlet near the TV and use Romex wire and a plug to connect it to the inverter.

One of the additional dedicated inverter outlets that I installed provides power to the bedroom TV when needed. The outlet is installed next to the outlet that Forest River installed for the TV. When I am parked at a campground with hook-ups for an extended time, I just unplug the TV from the inverter supplied outlet and plug it in to the regular electric outlet. I can also just leave the TV plugged into the inverter supplied outlet, although it is less efficient (and somewhat foolish) to convert 120 volts to 12 volts through the converter/charger only to re-convert it back to 120 volts with the inverter.

On my Georgetown, there is a pipe/wiring trunk running down the driver's side of the motorhome from the bedroom cabinet through the bathroom (behind the toilet and shower floor) and into the kitchen cabinet. From the kitchen cabinet, the wiring goes into the water heater compartment and then across a basement compartment with other existing Romex wiring from the factory to the compartment with the inverter. It was fairly simple to add another Romex line to run with the existing wiring.

If you are uncertain of how to do all this, you may wish to hire an electrician. You can also keep it simple and just use an appropriate gauge extension cord for the TV. The 120 volts output from an inverter can be just as dangerous as the 120 volts supplied by your electric utility if not wired properly.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #6

tv on inverter

I ran a line from converter up thru floor above water heater where pipes go to sink then behind toilet thru wall behind fireplace then up to tv. installed a gray plug and plate to identify which plug is inverter tv plays great. thanks for the idea.

Tags
inverter, power