Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #1

TV's Turn Off

I have two Toshiba TV's in my coach. On a frequent basis, they both will start making an odd sound, like a record being stuck, the picture will fade, the TV's will power off and then come back on. I have recorded this process on my iPhone so I can show my dealer. Seems like it has to be something wrong with the TV's. Anyone else experienced this kind of problem?
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #2

If it's two TVs out of two that are doing it I would suspect something else other than the TVs. Are they on the same power circuit? Do you have any kind of surge suppressor? Time to start digging.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
If it's two TVs out of two that are doing it I would suspect something else other than the TVs. Are they on the same power circuit? Do you have any kind of surge suppressor? Time to start digging.

They are on the same circuit. I do have a surge protector.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
They are on the same circuit. I do have a surge protector.
Disconnect from the power post and try on the generator. If the problem stops now you have an idea where the problem is.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

Might have to run the generator a long time. Sometimes the problem only occurs once a day. Can't predict when.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Might have to run the generator a long time. Sometimes the problem only occurs once a day. Can't predict when.

Think I'll just take it back to dealer along with the video's. Still under warranty. Maybe they can figure it out.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I have two Toshiba TV's in my coach. On a frequent basis, they both will start making an odd sound, like a record being stuck, the picture will fade, the TV's will power off and then come back on. I have recorded this process on my iPhone so I can show my dealer. Seems like it has to be something wrong with the TV's. Anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

If the same problem happens on generator I would check the circuit breaker and make sure the black wire is tight. Also find the neutral and ground wires for that circuit in the circuit breaker box and make sure they are tight.

If it continues to happen you have to find the box that have splices to each TV and again check those wires are tight in the wire nuts.

If what you have said I believe you have a loose connection between the electrical circuit breaker panel and the TVs. You actually may see some wire insulation discolored if you find a loose connection.

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #8

We have the identical problem with a Toshiba TV in our house.. but it is now out of warranty...
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
We have the identical problem with a Toshiba TV in our house.. but it is now out of warranty...

Good to know. Leads me to believe that it's a TV issue. I don't have time to deal with it while traveling. Will take it to dealer when I get home in May. In the mean time I'll determine if it occurs on both TV's at the same time. So far we have only used antenna. I'll switch to cable when I get it and see if it occurs. Otherwise, Iggy may have best approach.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Good to know. Leads me to believe that it's a TV issue. I don't have time to deal with it while traveling. Will take it to dealer when I get home in May. In the mean time I'll determine if it occurs on both TV's at the same time. So far we have only used antenna. I'll switch to cable when I get it and see if it occurs. Otherwise, Iggy may have best approach.
Just wondering after reading this - do TV's contain some sort of re-setting circuit breaker that trips on and off if the power coming in dips up or down due to a loose connection and then resets when the correct power is restated?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #11

I have no clue.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #12

OK. Tonight I had both TV's on same channel. When TV 1 went through the shutdown startup process, TV 2 kept right on playing. So appears the problem is independent to each TV.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #13

TV's Turn Off

Toshiba has a discussion forum. Didn't find anything like mine, but lots of other weird things.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #14

Bad solder joints will cause this issue. Not as common in today's TVs but still happens in the A/C voltage side. The joint is fine when cold, then as it warms it expands and causes an open circuit, as it cools, it makes contact again and starts working. If this is the issue, it will happen more and more often as time goes by. It could be an issue with both TVs also. In the business, we know certain models tend to exhibit the same failure modes. This same thing can happen to a fuse that appears fine but can open under load.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #15

Here's another twist. In the past, the problem has only occurred while in Antennae mode. For the last 2 days we have been on cable and have had no problems yet. So it appears having something to do with the antennae.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #16

Update-have had my RV at the dealer since returning from the south for some relatively minor warranty work. They are replacing both TV's due to this problem. Not sure that's the answer, but I won't argue with them.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Update-have had my RV at the dealer since returning from the south for some relatively minor warranty work. They are replacing both TV's due to this problem. Not sure that's the answer, but I won't argue with them.
I started to have the same problem with my 1st Toshiba, They had a problem with the boards heating up where rca plugs are. They installed another TV and move it out on a new bracket. The manual states that it needs 4" from the back wall. FR used a 1/2" solid bracket on the first one. I haven't had a problem since 2 years now. Good luck. but that was my problem.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:30 AM   #18
Broke and happy

My new Columbus had this issue and it was traced to loose AC wire connections . The TVs, unlike a light bulb are very sensitize to power interruptions.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #19

What makes me skeptical that new TV's will solve the problem is that the issue occurs on both TV's at different times and only in Antennae mode. Works fine on cable. We'll be making a trip in June. Shall see if problem solved. Before next winter we'll be installing a satellite system. Assume TV's would function the same as on cable???
Old 09-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #20

So my dealer installed one new TV in the living room. Seems to have solved the problem but created a new one. The new TV is not compatible with the Clarion. Cannot get sound through the aux speakers. Only through the TV speakers. DVD and IPod work just fine. Quality of sound is not the same for TV. Turns out the new TV is all digital, whereas the sound in my 2013 Clarion is analog. Told me they couldn't find a compatible TV. My DW went out and found a Vizio TV at Costco and Best Buy that would work. Advised dealer, but they chose to send my old TV in for repair. I doubt seriously that can figure it out. This has gone on for 5 months. They also still need to deal with the same problem on my bedroom TV. Anyway, I've about given up on my dealer. Can anyone provide me a name, email address and phone # for the FR Warranty Rep? Maybe he can help. I think this issue is way over my dealers head(s)!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums