Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #1

unsure about diesel or gas

I'm looking at purchasing a georgetown 378ts rv for 3 months of rv'ing and weekends of camping. Lots of people recommend we go with A diesel engine but i don't think it is worth the extra expense for that little use. I also find the 378 to have the right floorplan for us.
2 to go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

There's no right or wrong answer to this decision. It's a personal thing with a dollar comparison.

Granted, diesels, if maintained properly, will usually outlast a gas engine. They also offer greater towing and load limits over gas engines. But the initial purchase price of a diesel engine in any RV should be part of the justification for this statement. Also, have you looked at the price differences in gas vs. diesel at the pumps these days? Not so economical anymore when just comparing purchase price. In an RV, the living arrangement should be very important in your model choice. The engine would be foremost if you were going to be a fulltimer and running up a lot more miles given that is your residence wherever you make it.

Most, if not all the people in this forum (Georgetown) will probably not over challenge the engine performance as far as it's life for the time they have their motorhome. I'll bet almost everyone will max out their time with their car for mileage concerns before their RV.

Gas vs. diesel..........the decision will ultimately be yours!

Above all else..............

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I thought I would have a harder time going up hills and merging into traffic with a gas engine compared to my diesel pickup.I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance of the V10. You will have a better ride with air suspension on a diesel pusher. I also have found the Georgetown better in this regard then I expected. The higher price of diesel fuel also takes away the economy advantage.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
I thought I would have a harder time going up hills and merging into traffic with a gas engine compared to my diesel pickup.I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance of the V10. You will have a better ride with air suspension on a diesel pusher. I also have found the Georgetown better in this regard then I expected. The higher price of diesel fuel also takes away the economy advantage.
Ditto! And, from what you say you're going to use it for, I'd say a gasser is the way to go. Having said that, when I replace my 2011 378TS it'll be with a used DP, just so I can see the difference for myself. Probably be at least a 40 footer too.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote