Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Upholstery deterioration

My 2012 337XL like many others of that year has experienced deterioration of the upholstery on the dinette and captain chairs manufactured by Williamsburg Furniture. As instructed on a previous thread I sent pics of the furniture, manufacturer tags, and the flaking fabric to Jeff Hood at Forest River.
He got right back to me and said that replacement covers would be sent in 4 to 6 weeks. It has been only one two weeks and I already have the replacements. Good service on the part of Forest River.
I am pretty good mechanically but I have never done with seat covers. Has anyone replaced the covers themselves that can offer some advice ?
I assume I may need to purchase some hog ring pliers ?
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

All depends on how they are assembled. Maybe hog rings or staples. Captains may be hog rings or new seats have a hard plastic piece that pulls tight over the bottom of the frame. The other seats could just be stapled/glued. Hope this helps. With out seeing under neath seats, hard to tell.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #3
Wildland Firefighter

Seats

I too had never done upholstery, but gave it a try. And simple it was. Very basic in all tasks. The toughest part was getting the arm rests off. And even that was just pushing in on it hard enough to get it to go backwards. I just kept track of how the fabric peels off. I ordered the new covers from FR. You will need the part # that is on a tag on the bottom of the seat .They showed up in 5 days. I took the seats out one day...peeled off the old stuff... put the new ones on the next day... put em back in and wahlah! New seats. Kinda like putting a wetsuit on a fat guy...( like me )...take your time..it will fit. Use some spray adhesive where it was used from factory. You will see this when you peel the old stuff off. Go slow. Best of luck. If I can do it....You can too.
Gordon and Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I will give it a try when I get some time. Do the captain chairs have to be removed from the RV or can they be done mounted on the floor ?
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Unless you are a contortionist, yes it will be easier with them out and on a bench/floor.