Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

Use of house air conditioning and generator while driving

Hello. Everyone has been so helpful in responding to my various questions. It must be obvious that I am new to the motorhome life style. I have a 2012 Forest River Georgetown XL 337DS. I am wondering whether it is okay (or dangerous) to use the generator while driving so that I can have the house air conditioners on. I have hesitated to do so because of fears that this is not a good idea. However, the dashboard air conditioner really struggles to keep even the cab cool when I drive in the desert. Your experiences and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

I've spent many hours driving with the generator running and the roof top air going. In my opinion it's a perfectly normal thing to do.

The only strangeness is that both your engine and the generator (via the converter) are both charging the batteries. This can cause the red battery light on the dash to come on (or flash). It's not an indication of a real problem just an annoyance. It's a side effect of how the circuit for that idiot light works. Just turn on the headlights and it should cause that light to go out.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I've spent many hours driving with the generator running and the roof top air going. In my opinion it's a perfectly normal thing to do.

The only strangeness is that both your engine and the generator (via the converter) are both charging the batteries. This can cause the red battery light on the dash to come on (or flash). It's not an indication of a real problem just an annoyance. It's a side effect of how the circuit for that idiot light works. Just turn on the headlights and it should cause that light to go out.

Could you please clarify yyour statement above for me.
You make it sound like both engine battery and house batteries are connected while driving down the road. Please clarify as I didn't know the 2 were connected unless you hit the special emergency button to connect the two together. Well thats the way my 2012 is.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

When you drive your alternater charges the house batteries as well as engine battery. I use thevgenny a nd the a/c all the time. Have never had an issue.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Before you use the generator while driving you have to make sure you big power cord is plugged into the generator outlet. When we disconnect from "shore power" meaning plugged in at the house or campsite, we always plug the cord into the generator outlet just in case we need the generator, or other 110 power while moving. Most of the time the truck a/c is sufficient but when it is really hot the RV a/c is wonderful to have. Also after you have stopped at an attraction/ store and get back in, turning on the generator and the RV a/c is a much faster way to make things comfortable. We also use the generator to power 110 heaters while driving when it is really cold (10 below F). You might also want to use some 110 fans to help circulate th air.

Our 5.5 generator uses about a gallon of gas an hour.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
When you drive your alternater charges the house batteries as well as engine battery. I use thevgenny a nd the a/c all the time. Have never had an issue.
I didn't know my 2012 did this.
"When you drive your alternater charges the house batteries as well as engine battery."

Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

RV Custom Battery Control Guide.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery_Control_Schematic.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	17239

This will explain the battery charging etc with the engine running and generator.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Attachment 17238

Attachment 17239

This will explain the battery charging etc with the engine running and generator.

Thank you. I have that diagram but not the pdf document. I have added it to my MH information. Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #9

While on the subject of Ford AC system I remember reading that someone said it was cheaper to run the generator with house AC than running the engine AC. Better MPG and mor epower for the engine.
They also said that running a 5.5kw generator used only a gallon of gas and is more economical this way.

What do you all think?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I was at a seminar where the presenter told us to be sure to regularly exercise our generator. He suggested a good way to do that was to start you generated and turn on both AC's for one half an hour as you go down the road.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #12

I regularly run my generator and A/C while driving and do so mainly to exercise the genny. I had a substantial repair bill when my Generator carb had to be removed and cleaned because the previous owner failed to run it enough. 144 hours in 5 years...

I have also heard the rumor that running the roof A/C & generator was cheaper than engine A/C but really don't notice the difference. Would like someone knowledgeable to comment.

And, yes, the battery charge rate is faster with both the engine alternator and the generator running.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #13

I run my generator regularly but need to do more.
I like the idea of starting the 2 AC units on generator 30 minutes prior to arriving at my campground destination. Here in Arizona that means it will be cooler faster.
Great idea to cool everything and exercise the generator.

Oh don't forget to read your manuals on changing oil and filter.
Mine is 25-30 hours of run time but for a quart of oil and a filter change regularly will make your engine last longer.

Thanks for a great idea!

Question.
Does the Georgetown have a valve to shut off the gas to the generator so you can drain the carborator when in storage for extended periods of time? That way you won't get varnish buildup in the carb.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Question.
Does the Georgetown have a valve to shut off the gas to the generator so you can drain the carborator when in storage for extended periods of time? That way you won't get varnish buildup in the carb.
I would think there would be something in line since the generator fuel supply comes from the coach gas tank. I can't imagine if service was needed the dealership would just pinch the line off or at least I'd hope they wouldn't. Looks like I'm going to be climbing under the coach this evening to look for it. I can attest that the generator will shut off once you get down just below 1/4 tank of fuel. Found this out first hand last summer going to Myrtle Beach. Best part was it stopped just as I pulled into the gas station to fuel up.
Once I filled my tank and cranked the generator it started right up. The AC unit wasn't off long enough for a temperature change in the coach.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #15

I always put in STA-BIL fuel additive to any gas motor if it will not be run for 4 weeks or longer. The formulation of todays gas allows it to go bad in little as 3 weeks. I've never had any problems while using STA-BIL even when we had a toy hauler that would sit for 3 to 4 months with out running the generator. It would always start up in 2 tries or less. They key is to run the engine for 15 to 20 minutes to allow it get into the entire system.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #16

You really don't want to drain your carb for storage if you can help it. It should be started every 2 weeks even in the off season.

If you do drain it you don't need a shut off for the fuel, the generator has its own fuel pump so fuel will not just keep flowing when you empty the carb. Only time it flows is when it's running.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Question.
Mine does not. I removed my generator once and I used some vice-grips to clamp the fuel line. It's on my list of things to add though.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Mine does not. I removed my generator once and I used some vice-grips to clamp the fuel line. It's on my list of things to add though.
Thanks jsuther l, I didn't think there was a valve under there and now I don't have to slide under to look.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #19

I will start my Onan 5500 today at 5:00pm, and won't shut it off until Monday morning, unless the outside temps get below 75 (unlikely during this no-rain, high humidity weather!).

We're going to Lake Isabella, and are parking along the lake shore with no services. My wife's Myasthaenia Gravis condition allows for a narrow range of ambient temps, and I'm thankful for the ability to run the genny where we stay.

On previous trips, with outside temps in the 100-105 range, the MoHo stays a nice 75 degrees at .6-GPH of genny use.

Considering that the CG costs $7.00/night with the Senior Pass, and we're right on the lake, it ain't a bad tradeoff!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner