Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #1

using basement bay for batteries/invertor

I have got a 2003 Georgetown 30' MH.

I want to put two more trojan 6v batteries and a Xantrex sw invertor/charger in it.

The total weight will be ~180 lbs.

The bay just behind the steps is the one I want to use.

I was wondering if it can handle the weight of these items without additional support.

Has anybody had any experience in doing this.
rdjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjensen View Post
I have got a 2003 Georgetown 30' MH.

I want to put two more trojan 6v batteries and a Xantrex sw invertor/charger in it.

The total weight will be ~180 lbs.

The bay just behind the steps is the one I want to use.

I was wondering if it can handle the weight of these items without additional support.

Has anybody had any experience in doing this.
I did this on our old motorhome but it had different compartments than this. I don't know what the weight capacity for the compartments is on the Georgetowns. For sure it is fine for the inverter. On ours I removed our existing battery tray that held the two 12v batteries and welded up a new one that could hold 4 6v batteries. I then mounted two more up front behind the grill where most RVs have them. I used 3/0 welding cable for the 30' run from the front batteries to the others. 3/0 cable probably isn't necessary but I got it for free and when running DC power the bigger the better to minimize amperage loss on the run. Use welding cable however for all your connections as it is much easier to work with and more flexible than battery cable you get at the auto store.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

what is your compartment floor made of???? I think Id ve a littkle nervous putting that much weight on plastic unless you could do some kind of reinforcing underneath
mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Knower of Some Things

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the necessity of VENTING THE COMPARTMENT!!!!!
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaPro View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the necessity of VENTING THE COMPARTMENT!!!!!
I think because he hasn't even gotten to this step yet. He was asking about the viability of using the compartment at all. As Mr. Ken stated I would worry about the plastic holding that much weight. If it can then one of the esential steps in putting batteries there is of course venting.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I think because he hasn't even gotten to this step yet. He was asking about the viability of using the compartment at all. As Mr. Ken stated I would worry about the plastic holding that much weight. If it can then one of the esential steps in putting batteries there is of course venting.
I'll go with that.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #7

I put an extra pair of 6V batteries in my front storage compartment. I couldn't find any weight ratings for the compartments, but I built a wood box to distribute the load across the floor and to enclose the batteries. I'm not sure about a 2003 but my compartment is very stout. MY box is vent on the bottom and ontop in the back to the outside. Also I put a screened vent in the compartment.

I think welding new battery racks like NWjeeper did is a better idea, but I was in a hurry, didn't have access to a welder, and didn't want to pay to have it done. If I add another set I'll probably add them behind the grill like how NWjeeper did it.

2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
ME

I would not trust that plastic area to hold that much weight! Two of my rear compartments are separating from the coach and look like they were held in place by black epoxy!

I have been thinking about doing this same project and the guy I spoke with felt closing in the batteries where they are (assuming yours are like mine under the stairs) by taking some metal and either welding it in place or screwing it in place. I can easily say there is room for one more deep cell battery (making a total of three). The next question was where to put the inverter. I did not want to lose any space in our storage and the SUGGESTION was to take out the drawer under the stove and put in the inverter along with a fan to keep it cool.

Not sure this helps but I was told the inverter CAN put out a lot of heat and does not like to be exposed to outside elements!

Keep us informed!

Tags
battery