Old 04-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
Originally Posted by mlwood View Post
I have a 2014 Georgetown and recently returned to NE Ohio from Florida not expecting the weather to be as cold as it has been. Some nights as low as 25 F. Can I use an electric heater to maintain the temperature inside the motor home or should I be running the furnace. Does the furnace provide some heat to the compartments below that I wouldn't be getting by using the electric heater? What temperature should I maintain inside the motor home to keep water pipes from freezing? Gray and Black tanks are empty. Should I be using the tank heaters? I have kept the hot water tank on.
I run electric/oil heater during winter just to keep moisture down in addition to damp rid.

Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
Originally Posted by mlwood View Post
Many of you have said you use electric heaters. Is anything required in the basement compartments to protect the pipes from freezing?

If you need to heat lower compartments a 40 watt light bulb will do the trick in cold nights. I use this in my water pump bay as well as the water hooked up at park bay.
Just make sure it doesn't touch anything that can melt or start a fire.
Do you have the FR Artic Pak system? Heat pads at numerous locations and on bottom of all holding and water tanks.

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #13
The only time we use the gas heater is to take the chill out of the trailer in the crossover season when we wake up in the morning. For the time when it is cool or cold around the clock we use exclusively use an electric heater. Not only is it quieter but the heating is more even.
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
Well at 14f like right now the fireplace is not enough. I got 2 small electric heaters, the fireplace and the furnace going to keep it at a comfortable level. Use a full tank of propane every 4 or 5 days.
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Yes I do (2 in fact) but with all slides closed the heat output would blow onto surfaces I wouldn't want heated or melted.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #16
I will be taking an extended trip to Alaska this year and will be installing heat pads and pipe traces to insure protection of the plumbing when not running the furnace.

Why manufacturers do not make this an option is beyond me. Blowing hot air into the underbelly is inefficient and provides no protection when the furnace is not in use.
2016 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS = "Madame Maxime"
Maxxis M8008 E rated Tires and 16" Wheel Upgrade
Dual A/C, 14K Equalizer WD hitch with SC
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #17
We are camping in Edinburg,VA this weekend and have an oil filled electric and a small ceramic keeping us toasty. Helps us also to run the AC fan on low to circulate the warm air. Works good for us. Furnace set as a backup. We have 30 amp service in the coach and have no trouble maintaining load control. The oil heater is set on high and the ceramic is on low setting.
All of my water lines are internal, just opened the galley drain valve and let the water run at the kitchen sink about a pencil thickness of flow.

Safe travels.

Chris in Virginia
2006 Sunseeker 3100SS/LTD
2008 Smart Passion Cabriolet TOAD
1986 Honda Helix (Original owner)

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #18
We just returned from SW New Mexico to NE Ohio and were also faced with the unexpected cold temps. I rewinterized by draining and blowing out all lines then filled the pump area, drains and waste tank valves with antifreeze.

For cold weather use, I added a gutter heating strip to the pipes and filter in the plumbing compartment and have it plugged into an outlet I installed in the ceiling of the compartment. The outlet is powered from the 1kw inverter I had installed or shore power. When driving, the alternator provides enough power to run the inverter and. when temperatures are below freezing, I always stay overnight somewhere where I have an electrical hookup.

I also have three space heaters I can use to help keep the inside warm which significantly decreases propane usage for the furnace. It took me a couple of years to figure out how to use the third space heater without overloading a circuit breaker but I finally figured out that I could use the microwave outlet, which is on its own breaker, for the third heater.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #19
Our trailer only has 30 amp electrical service. I added a 20 amp inlet and outlet to it to avoid the worry about what we run when we have the electric heater going. It has also worked out well for when we use the counter top convection oven. The last advantage is I was able to get an additional outlet in an area of the trailer that needed one.
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #20
Who Dares, Wins
We use a large space heater when ever we are connected to shore power. I am paying for a site so I will use their power. I will set our thermostat to 50 or so in case the power goes out for some reason.

I could not find the post but someone was on a few months ago that had a CG that would cut the power if you used a space heater.. Not sure how they would know, other than maybe the crease load, but that would be the last time I'd stay there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, furnace, heater