Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Using Jack Levels on 351DS

Hi,

I'm new to RV'ing and just took delivery of my new 2015 3 weeks ago. I have yet to go out on my first trip.

But had a question I forgot to ask dealer. When using the automated leveling jacks. Do I do it before or after the slides are out? And do I need to do it with no people in side (kick them out basically)?

As for the slides, can it work with people on the sofa and dinette, or is that too much weight/stress on the motor?

Thanks in advance,
Sith
sithc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

It's best to perform leveling prior to slides out and probably optimal for no added weight to slides during travel. But my little girls loves to ride the couch or dinette during slide out. We also stop at rest stops during travel and let slides out with no jacks down. Usually we are fairly level in those parking spots.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I figure it was what you suggest but I too have little ones that like to sit on the dinette and couch. And not no one once to get out of the motorhome when we get to the destination so that was why I was asking if I should do jacks with people still inside the GT.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #4

I personally don't like to operate the slides on just batteries. That's just me though. I don't kick anybody out while setting up. The only thing I ask is for everyone to be still if I'm using the auto leveling. If the site is nice and level, I'll use auto level. If not, I do a manual level since the auto tends to lift the coach more than it needs to.

Good question on having someone on the slides while moving in/out. I would think it's okay since it's hydraulic. The motor itself is not the muscle.

Here is how we set up:
- Auto or manual level with engine running, then turn engine off
- Plug to shore power and let the slides out

One thing to note is that the slides will not operate with the ignition on.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

also - make SURE to leave the engine on when leveling!!!! The brain trust at the dealer told us otherwise (even though it clearly states it on the control panel!) and we think that is what screwed ours up. Or maybe not.

Our usual process -
Get coach in place we want to park it
While engine is on, level coach (manual or auto)
Plug into shore power
Connect water
Roll out slides.
Let cats out of carriers.
Have adult beverage of your choice.

We usually connect the stinky slinky the first time we want to dump, but you can do it anytime....

Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

Just as a follow up however not to hijack the thread... when leveling, I thought I saw on another thread that it's not a good thing to have the front or rear wheels off the ground when all is said and done. Does anyone have thoughts and/or a recommendation on that?

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMSNT View Post
Just as a follow up however not to hijack the thread... when leveling, I thought I saw on another thread that it's not a good thing to have the front or rear wheels off the ground when all is said and done. Does anyone have thoughts and/or a recommendation on that?
Tires on the ground help stabilize the coach. Off the ground, no problem, as long as it's just the front ones.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Thanks for all the comments. I'll follow the procedures.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithc View Post
Hi,

I'm new to RV'ing and just took delivery of my new 2015 3 weeks ago. I have yet to go out on my first trip.

But had a question I forgot to ask dealer. When using the automated leveling jacks. Do I do it before or after the slides are out? And do I need to do it with no people in side (kick them out basically)?

As for the slides, can it work with people on the sofa and dinette, or is that too much weight/stress on the motor?

Thanks in advance,
Sith
Congrats on your new coach.

If you need to level your coach, do it before you run out the slides and remember to retract them before pulling up jacks. And, be sure to have alternate power (shore power, generator or engine alternator) supplying a boost to the jacks. I don't run the main hydraulic powered slides without shore power or generator. It uses the same hydraulic system.

As for weight on the slides, when I see these units where the storage units travel with the slide, I doubt a 50 lb. child is going to overtax the hydraulics so, I would let the kids ride. A 300 lb. adult? probably make them stand aside.

I don't like to raise my wheels off of the ground. I know a lot of folks don't have a problem with it but I don't like the extra distance to the ground and the lack of support of the wheels on the ground. If I need to raise the front that far to get level, I try to add a few pieces of wood to give support.

Remember, never raise the rear off the ground because you lose the parking brake and the parking tranny support and the coach might roll off the jacks. A VERY costly event.

Enjoy your coach.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #10

Thanks bend302. Very informative.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #11

How do you do an emergency retract for the jacks. All lights on the far left are blinking and you can't turn the system on. Please help asap!
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

It might be that you've tripped the breaker. Go to the area to the right of your steps where the two house batteries are. Up above there is the breaker. If the red flag is thrown, reset it.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #13

We did throw a breaker but that didn't do it.
Here is what I finally got from Coachnet...
Start engine
Press and hold all 4 arrow buttons until the lights stop blinking.
Then turn system on again and start over. Nothing in the manual about resetting these for class a gas. Thank you.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

Hope this helps.

Here are some t-shooting procedures.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #15

Can't tell if the pdf uploaded. Here it goes again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Troubleshooting.pdf (806.5 KB, 50 views)