Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Using outlets on battery power?

I was pretty sure I read somewhere on the forums that if your Georgetown comes with an inverter to power the residential fridge on battery power, there are a few outlets that you can use while on battery power as well. They're usually near the entertainment center or in the bunks, if I'm remembering right (I can't seem to find the thread now, I hope I'm not just misremembering this). Someone suggested taking a small night light and testing outlets to see which ones work without the generator.

Can anyone confirm? The reason I ask is that we're considering adding solar to help with dry camping, and we'd prefer to not have to wire outlets to the battery. If a few outlets work with the residential fridge model, then we can use 240 watts of Go Power's portable "plug and play" solar panels without having the RV rewired.

I emailed Forest River about it, and the reply I got was that the inverter only powers the fridge and nothing else. Straight from the horse's mouth and all that, but I'm wondering if this just isn't a question that comes up everyday and maybe (hopefully) they're wrong. Those of you with residential fridge models, can you weigh in?
Skadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

Okay, here are some threads I found.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-49304.html

"In our MH not all outlets will work, only a few a hooked into the inverter. A simple way to check is turn on the inverter and take a night light and try all the outlets, bet you will find some will work, others will not. Make sure your not hooked up to shore power when you do this. In ours, some in bedroom, entertainment center will work, while ones in kitchen will not"

However, the OP in that thread found that none of their outlets worked.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-61365.html

"Problem is on the 2014's, they have the system set for the refrigerator to be the only thing that can run off the inverter and batteries. What I have been doing is running an extension cord off one of the inverter outlets, then through the escape window in the bedroom. This is not always practical especially when the mosquitos are out."

Does anyone here have a 2016 they can test?? I like the extension cord idea as a last resort.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

My experience exactly. Perhaps I got confused when I was shopping and that is a feature in the XL models. Either way, I installed a second inverter, wired it into the power panel and I guess now I have an XL as all the outlets on the driver's side and the TVs all work without using shore power or the generator. See my post in Inverters if you are interested.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
My experience exactly. Perhaps I got confused when I was shopping and that is a feature in the XL models. Either way, I installed a second inverter, wired it into the power panel and I guess now I have an XL as all the outlets on the driver's side and the TVs all work without using shore power or the generator. See my post in Inverters if you are interested.
Thank you! Here is the thread for others wondering:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-92157.html

Do you find your batteries deplete really fast? FR said theyd only power the fridhge for 12 hours without solar.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

Actually most of the time we run is either on the road or connected at an RV park. I think that FR is being pessimistic about the amount of time that the 4 12 volt batteries can keep the reefer going. Even if not, when driving for 5 or 6 hours per day, they will recover and of course being in a park on shore power they never drop at all. Be aware that if FR is right and you want to boondock, it would mean that you would have to run the generator for at least 3 or 4 hours out of every 12 since the converter is only rated at 70 amps and it would take that long to fully recharge the house bank. Might as well run the A/C and all of the TVs while you are running the reefer 8 to 10 hours per day! Personally I don't believe it and I think they are being very pessimistic. Either way, the additional load from the second inverter (TVs and my CPAP) is pretty much insignificant.

Nice to always have convenient plugs when driving on the road and not running the generator. Now I run the generator when the batteries need charging or if I want to use the microwave or the air conditioning, but never to just watch tv or charge a cellphone or computer. Much simpler that way and a lot quieter.

The nice thing about the xantrex units is that they will automatically shut down when the battery voltage reaches 10.5 volts. So, all I need to do is glance at the reefer control panel and if it is lit and the temperatures are OK...the batteries are OK as well.

2015 335DS
Old 09-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Georgia Gets Around

We have a 2015 Georgetown XL. We've checked the convenient outlets and only have 120 when hooked to shore power. There is an GFI outlet outside located in the compartment above the LP Gas tank. It is the one that needs to be checked and reset if the Refrig is not running (along with a couple other in series components). So it is possible on the GT XL to plug another extension cord into that outlet and bring it into the coach area. I haven't yet figured or decided how I will do that. Wish I had a wiring diagram for the GT XL. I would then probably run power to one or more of the TVs or to an outlet for charging computers and other smart devices (that we can't seem to live without!).
frugalbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
....nice thing about the xantrex units is that they will automatically shut down when the battery voltage reaches 10.5 volts. So, all I need to do is glance at the reefer control panel and if it is lit and the temperatures are OK...the batteries are OK as well.
Are you kidding? Anything less than 12.2v and you are slowly killing battery life....anything less than 11.5 is murder.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

The GFI that has to be reset is on the inverter itself. It is installed in various places depending on the RV itself. Look in the basement below the refrigerator area. You may have to remove the white plastic panel since reaching in to reset it through the access hole is sometimes difficult. You will see a duplex outlet on the inverter itself with only 1 cord plugged in.

2015 335DS
Old 09-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Sounds like you are looking for a similar solution to what I needed. the only difference is you already have an inverter in the coach, but, the ultimate solution is the same. for the bunkhouse models, there is one breaker that controls all the outlets except the Microwave, and GFCI's.

Check this tread for how it works.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-91636.html

An easy way to check what breaker works what outlets is to plug into shore power or start the gen...turn on TV's and use a night light or some other small appliance to check the outlets. Flip off the 15A breakers until the TV's turn off (NOT THE MAIN BREAKER). they should all be on the same circuit...now see if any of the other outlets work with the night light...if not, you have found the correct breaker, repeat with the breaker on to confirm.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

While I did have an inverter, I couldn't use it since it is dedicated to the refrigerator. I added the second, same brand but 1000W rather than 2000W. Since I have thre refrigerator I do, however, have a house bank of 4 batteries.

2015 335DS
Old 09-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #11

In reply to camaraderie, while 10.5 seems a little low, it is also an "under load"measurement and it seems that most inverters cut out at that voltage. An unloaded voltage for that state of charge would easily above 11.5 or so, but that depends on the actual load. There is an alarm that starts at 11 volts.

2015 335DS
Old 09-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #12

Yah. .MIGHT be..but most likely you are well under 50% and damaging battery life. A real monitor is way cheaper than 4new ones ... Good luck in any case
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power, electrical