Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Valves, hoses, pump & confusion!

We've put off winterizing in the hopes that we'd get another trip in and the misconception that we know what we're doing. We've decided that we aren't going to get another trip in AND that we DO NOT know what we're doing!

Water tank is drained, hot water is drained, faucets opened and pump run till no water comes out and pump drained according to DH. I say we've got to put antifreeze in the lines just like we did last year with the other MH. I've read through the various threads which makes it sound easy and I'm sure it is once you've done it!

Our confusion comes with how to get the antifreeze into the system. We've got those silly portholes to look through to see the hoses & valves. A couple of pics:

There are 2 valves. One open & one closed. I'm guessing the open one is for the fresh water tank & the closed one is for antifreeze.

Here is the open valve and part of the pump on the left.

I'm afraid to really pull on the hose that has the closed valve on it since I don't know if it leads somewhere or if it's just an open hose that can be pulled out for the antifreeze. We called the dealer and they're clueless too but suggested just taking off the inlet hose & attaching a garden hose to it.

Can anyone advise??

Thanks!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #2

HA! Posting seemed to do the trick. I got brave enough to tug on the hose to the shut off valve and eventually found the end. It was curled up and looped around so the end wasn't visible. Hopefully, the pics will help someone else!

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 11-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

Don't know if this will help or not, but I had an 08 Georgetown with the portals before I traded up to my 2011 Berkshire last spring. I recall that the panel with the portals was held in place with 3 square drive screws. I took off the panel (easy removal process) so I could get a better view of what I had to deal with and I think that there was a separate braided hose that led to the water pump. I recall sticking the end of the hose into the RV antifreeze solution, turning the plastic valve the and then turning on the pump to pull the antifreeze into the system. Don't forget to remove the water filter so you don't contaminate it. Close all faucets and open them one by one until all faucets and toilet show a pink flow before moving to the next one, just like on your last motorhome.

Hope this helps. I had to winterize my unit twice last year when we had to make an emergency run to PA and again when he had a chance to go to Florida before Christmas.

First time with a new unit is always a bit scary because of the quirks and procedures unique to each unit and manufacturer. I'll go through the same bit of hesitation when I winterize my new unit for the first time after this year's upcoming Christmas vacation to Florida. I live in a coastal area of South Carolina, so I can get away with not winterizing until January. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #4

By the time I typed up my post and sent it, you figured it out. Sorry I never took typing in school back in my day.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #5

Thanks anyway mf4110! I don't know why a simple diagram or a couple of labels are so difficult to provide for the owners of a new MH or if not to each owner a PDF file on line that has the info.

Had there not been a diagram in our old MH on how to bypass the hotwater heater, I would have had no idea what to do on this one. As it was, I had to hunt the hotwater heater down which meant removing some drawers out of the kitchen. (Another learning process on how to take them out & put them back in.) No where in the literature does it mention bypassing much less where it's located.

RVing is a continuing education course!

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 11-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

Karen,

I have the same model, and basically found out about the valves by doing the same thing you did: tracing the one to the water tank and tracing the one for the antifreeze (which was looped around the side of the water tank) and then pulling it out. I still had the dealer do the winterizing because I had several other things that needed to be taken care of, but I gave the dealer a detailed explanation of the valves and the location of the h/w bypass valves and filter just in case. Everything was taken care of correctly. I did find out that you should leave the drain plug for the fresh water tank out during the winter as well as the h/w heater anode rod. Since my previous Class A had neither (old h/w heater was an Atwood), this was new to me.

Oh, yeah, those drawers can be tricky, and one thing I learned the hard way is that the bedspread is not washable.

Gary

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
ME

Be nice to yourself (and possibly others) by labeling everything! Nothing fancy for Mr just white duct tape and a permanence marker. You will be surprised how much you can forget in a year!

Removing the panels helped to see what is hidden and to help quicken repairs!