Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Walk Around Preflight!

There was a TT thread regarding TPMS that some may miss and it raised an item say may not have considered or do. So I felt that this is important enough that I will start a thread here (FR RV thread) to mention/discuss doing a "preflight" before every movement. I do not want to get mired down on the value or desire of a TPMS or tire pumps in this thread, but mention what some have found because they did one or forgot to do one.

I do a visual walk around before EVERY movement - this is std practice for flying and is good for me! If any tire is low, I'll fill it up asap at the closest service station. This shouldn't happen overnight, but gradually unless a tire problem or radical change in elevation or temperature and those are known conditions one should expect and deal with as part of SOP. For a tire problem, the odds are it is just one and a spare should handle that. If more than that, a pump will not help, you have bigger problems and will need outside assistance.

TTs usually have a spare and for RVs, not having a spare as std or optional equipment is not an option for me, so I manufactured one! Yes, I carry an electric impact wrench.

The take away I am trying to make is DO A WALK AROUND before you start every move (may take a whopping 30 seconds if done properly), even if it is "only" a gas fill up, lunch break, rest area pull over, arriving at your daily destination, … Yes, that may be more than once a day, but do it or complain and blame something else. No points for second place.

BTW, Some of the items I check for are unlocked or (yes) forgotten open compartments, items not turned off, items not loaded, items not secured or may have come loose from vibration or bad roads (MC), …
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spare.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	195040  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

X2. I check the operation of all lights - truck and trailer - after every hitch up, too.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I do a visual check every time I roll...even after gas and rest stops!

But that still doesn't replace a TPMS setup.

My TPMS saved my bacon the first time I ever rolled with it by alerting me to a nail in one of my trailer tires that I couldn't see at a stop as it was on the ground under the tire while stopped.

As I was rolling down I-25 toward Colorado Springs I noticed that one tires was loosing pressure.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
Always Learning

I agree. Even made a video for it to show what kinds of things I’ll look for.

I don’t recall if I mentioned it in the video, but I’ll also regularly get down and take a quick look at all of the suspension components.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #5

Before I start a trip, I perform a more detailed inspection like you mentioned, testing lights, roof checks, … too. I found at times when I have stopped for gas, a tie down may need adjustment or I forgot to lock a compartment - some of mine have multiple locks.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
But that still doesn't replace a TPMS setup.
I would get a TPMS, but I have "learned" that they introduce another venue to cause problems. With the requirement/necessity of having valve extenders / turners installed, adding another item in the loop is a sure way to induce a leak. TPMS won't warn of a blowout, just a slow leak. Most slow leaks can be noticed / checked with external tire gauge in time or by definition, they are not a slow leak. Everything is a trade off - nothing against anyone that wants or uses a TPMS. My overriding feature is the possible induced problem it may cause. If the RV industry was not living in the pact century, they would have TPMS like in cars and that would be fine with me.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Fear of tampering?

In addition to the walk around at the campground I always do a quick walk-around every time we stop, even if only for a few minutes. I know someone mentioned it earlier but I want to re-emphasize this point mainly because I have a worry that someone will fiddle with our connections (pull a hitch pin, unplug power, etc) while we are away. I check those components. I don't really check the lights again but I will frequently visually inspect all those critical bits.

Does anyone else have a worry like this?

Marty
Old 01-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I would get a TPMS, but I have "learned" that they introduce another venue to cause problems. With the requirement/necessity of having valve extenders / turners installed, adding another item in the loop is a sure way to induce a leak. TPMS won't warn of a blowout, just a slow leak. Most slow leaks can be noticed / checked with external tire gauge in time or by definition, they are not a slow leak. Everything is a trade off - nothing against anyone that wants or uses a TPMS. My overriding feature is the possible induced problem it may cause. If the RV industry was not living in the pact century, they would have TPMS like in cars and that would be fine with me.
A TPMS can also warn you of an impending wheel bearing issue as they also give you a temperature warning.

As for inducing another venue for problems...I don't think so.

Might as well just stay home if you are worried about something like that as there are so many things in an RV that can go wrong that if a safety item scares you, then RV'ing just may not be the right hobby to get into.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
In addition to the walk around at the campground I always do a quick walk-around every time we stop, even if only for a few minutes. I know someone mentioned it earlier but I want to re-emphasize this point mainly because I have a worry that someone will fiddle with our connections (pull a hitch pin, unplug power, etc) while we are away. I check those components. I don't really check the lights again but I will frequently visually inspect all those critical bits.

Does anyone else have a worry like this?

Marty
I do not worry about it too much as I have a lock both on my hitch pin and the fifth wheel latch. I have heard about people messing with hitches and pins.

Our son had some one pull a parking lot "stop" bumper across the road on a blind curve which he ran over ruining all 4 tires and 2 rims on a Ford Ranger that we used to have a few years back.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light