Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Warranty work - approx how long?

I posted here earlier about getting warranty work done and it's not the same timeframe as getting a car done (i.e. you make an oil change appt and it happens at the appt time.)

From the work that everyone has had done previously, how long does it usually take to get addressed? Here's my list of warranty work punch items (and change both oils):

1. Wheel alignment (straighten steering wheel) and look at tire wear
2. Bedroom door disc handle not glued in
3. Bedroom door not working properly (screw stripped on bottom)
4. Bedroom door approx. 2 gap on bottom
5. Screen door gap on top
6. Adjust screen door to close with outside door
7. Outside door difficult to close when on leveling system
8. See daylight under outside door from inside
9. Top door under sink rubbing sink piping
10. Missing cap on passenger chair seat belt
11. Seal around large bay door (by power cord) appears to be leaking.
12. Heat duct not pushing heat into bathroom
13. Front AC screen broken
14. Check front slide. It sounds under strain versus slide.
15. Outside stairs (swap out for Kwikee per April @ FR)
16. LCI leveling is hit or miss. Blew fuse while in KY.
17. Rusty left side of kitchen sink
18. All drawer locks tightened down and functioning
19. The freezer door tracks getting stuck
20. Install oil valve
21. Bunk slider topper starting to rip in back
22. Microwave tripping and have to wait 5 to 10 mins
23. Gen oil

The dealership I'm working with (NOT the one I bought it from) is saying they'll get to "look" at it in two weeks and then have to deal with all the different vendors for warranty work. Best case, a month of it sitting there. Does that sound right to you guys? Then there's the LCI step swap out that April at FR already approved. He says that doesn't hold water that he has to run it by his guy. I just don't get a warm and fuzzy from this Chicagoland dealer. Thoughts or am I just a raving lunnie??

Cumming, GA
2013 Georgetown 351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
the alignment will have to go to either ford , dealer will usually not help there. As far as the rest being that you are dealing with a non purchasing dealer, a long time, even if it was your dealer you will be looking at well over a month. The dealership you are working with is under no obligation to do the warranty work so you are at there mercy, sorry, I was used to losing my motorhome for up to 2 months at a time for repairs.

bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
after reading a few threads on the subject, it looks like FR will pay for alignment up to a certain point..
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
2012 Solera
I believe your experience with the dealer is pretty typical. In my case, very similar to the story I got from the dealer I bought from. I ended up getting pre-approval from FR to take to a local RV repair shop, and submit the bill to them.
My experience with the local (non-dealership) shop was completely different. They quickly addressed my problem - did the repairs within 3 days - and I haven't had any future problems with that issue (slideout motor mount broken off frame). I also used a local Ford dealer for tire work under warranty - and was reimbursed by FR. Again, essentially instant response from the Ford dealer - did the tire work the same day (defective valve extrender from factory). In addition, these shops are both within 20 miles of where I store the RV. My dealer - closest FR Solera dealer to the Bay Area - is 70+ miles away.
I believe there is a BIG problem today with RV warranty work. The dealers need to start focusing on customer experience. They need to start being measured on and rewarded for same day repair turnaround, and on repair solution in one visit - customer brings the RV in and gets it repaired while he/she waits. This can be accomplished by pre-ordering parts, and scheduling tech time coincident with customer appointment time, factory training of techs. BELIEVE the customer - ask for pictures if uncertain of what the customer is saying - and PREPARE for the service call! With consolidation in the industry, dealers are fewer - and are often quite inconvenient to the customer. Minimize the impact on the customer!
Personally, I had zero benefit of buying from my local dealer vs a (cheaper) internet dealer. I believe, from this forum and from conversations with others at various RV parks, my experience is "typical". I understand there are some "good" dealers out there - but...
I will recommend to anyone who asks that they go the internet dealer route.
Note to FR - your dealership network is on borrrowed time. If you want it to continue to exist - establish appropriate customer service metrics for them, with rewards or penalties, measure those metrics, and enforce. Also, support them - with expedited parts, parts shipped ahead, etc.

I recommend you check on local, non-dealership affiliated RV repair shops in your area and, if under warranty, ask FR to pre-approve the work.
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Kenosha isn't particularly close to Elkhart, but it might be worth the drive. Recreational Specialties is "just down the road" from the Georgetown plant in Elkhart and they are responsive and do FR warranty work.
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote