Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Warranty Issue On Georgetown

Today i took my Motorhome to a ford truck dealer and wanted a front end alignment done on it as i have read numerous threads on the factory putting out bad alignments.What i was told kinda shocked me and im at a loss what to do as a next step. Hoping i can get some advice from my more experienced owners. I was told they couldnt make any adjustments on my tracking due to the Motorhome being out of whack. They told me it dogtracks to the tune of 1 inch in twenty feet. they say that there is something wrong possibly with the frame. When i spoke to FORD person they said FORD wont back it as when it left factory it was perfectly aligned. they say once FR puts a body on it they are responsible for it...i dont want to personally drive a MH that Dogtracks
HELP
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

Document and LAWYER UP. You will be required to disclose this defect at trade or sale. It will NOT go away. This is WAY OVER YOUR PERSONAL ABILITY TO RESOLVE.
You know so therefore disclosure may save your butt way down the road. Suppose it dog tracks and God forbid an accident occurs?! You stand to lose everything you own or may own!
Make the call TOMORROW MORNING......do not look back!
FR does not want the exposure. Your Legal counsel can get through to those who can help you.
This can be resolved....needs a PUSH!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #3

Wow! Good luck with this one. I would also get a second opinion as I am sure you will need it.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Good luck.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #4

I know how heartsick you can feel when you spend so much for something and find out that it may have some problems. Speak to Forest River about the problem first to see if you get resolution. I personally wouldn't consider a lawyer until I spoke with the manufacturer and did not get resolution there. Coming in with big guns before even attempting to address a situation sets up an adversarial relationship to begin with and that's not always the best way to begin a relationship. The majority of owners on the Berkshire site have nothing but good things to say about factory support. Hopefully the people on the Georgetown end are the same. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW, auto dealerships have been known to make incorrect diagnoses from time to time also.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

xman123,
Not sure what dealer you used here in wny, but I would check out Colden Enterprises for a possible alignment. The way the body is mounted at Forest River should have little to do with doing any possible damage to the frame. Not unless they picked it up and dropped it on one frame rail. Dog tracking is normally caused by the axles not being square to the frame. It can also be caused by a axle that is not square on the springs, locating bolt broken or springs that are not a equal length. These are things that Forest River would not have done. Forest River normally doesn't do any frame length changes on the Georgetown. They purchase them in the wheelbase they need and install the cross members for the body and then the body is attached to them.

What did the Ford dealer claim that Georgetown did to change the Ford settings. I would be in contact with the Ford zone manager asking for proof on what Forest River did to mess things up. Ford has a program were they certify body builders to make sure they don not go outside what Ford says they can or can not do when modifying the chassis.

Forest River is certified by Ford to build on their chassis. I think the dealer does not want to spend the time to fix some thing wrong on the Ford side of things.

Contact Georgetown and work with them.

PM me if you like. From here in Lancaster myself.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

Does your state have the lemon law?
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

I think the dealer just didn't want to work on it. Find another.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #8

When I needed an alignment I called my local ford dealer. They recommended an independent shop. I took it there and the GT has run straight ever since.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #9

Not knowing what part of country you live in I could suggest two very good ford dealers equipped to handle motor home not all are. Gator Ford did my alignment an centered steering wheel for me . there in Seffner Fl. By Lazydays
Newnan Ga. Mike Fitzpatrick is also equipped to handle motor home needs. Both these places I was very satisfied with around $125. Several years back. I'd for sure get a second opinion same call FR. They have always been fair with me. Having spent over 42 yrs in the trucking business I can tell you frames can be corrected. Don't panic just yet. Always have the lemon law also. Hope this is some sort of help.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #10

Well just wanted to give an update on my issue. I took a ride out to my dealer and spoke with a service person there...as my adviser was off and then asked to speak with the head honcho who was out to lunch...i laughed and said they musta knew i was coming..lol But this person took the bull by the horns (What a nice Guy who when this is all done and over with i will write to his boss about how helpful he was) listened to my story and said come in his office and lets see what we can do...He called FR and left a message with them explaining what was wrong and to get back with him and advise him what to do.
He called me back later that day and explained FR was going to refund me my front end alignment money and was going to speak to Ford Reps and see what they will do. I told him Thank you and i will wait for the call back about the ford rep. about two days later i am glad to report i am taking my MH in on weds next week to have the dealer do something or other to get measurements and Ford rep will tell the dealer what needs to be done to fix my problem. So it appears not only my dealer but FR and Ford are standing behind their product and will fix it..until its done though nothings done lol
Lancaster NY
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #11

That's great to hear. I picked up my 351DS as few days ago and due to the terrible roads didn't realize that it pulls hard to the right when you let go of the steering wheel, (I guess this is something you normally do not do). . It looks like I'm following in your footsteps... I was told to take it into the Ford dealer... so we'll see

Keep us posted!!
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Seems like good news so far for you. It is good to know that both FR Ford seem to be standing up to your issue

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Yes it does make me Happy they are backing thier product...BUT as we all say I'll believe it when i see it...when its all fixed THEN i will say cool
Lancaster NY
Old 08-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
I Break Everything

Wow, We have 351DS, Took it in for front end work. Had a bent axle from the factory. It took a while to get it fixed. FORD could not fix it. Had to take to a place that specialized in big rigs/motorhomes. Everything was eventually fixed under warranty. Document everything, take pictures if necessary. Keep all paperwork filed neatly. Unfortunately I have to agree with SivlerbackMel and the lawyering. There's nothing wrong with talking to a lawyer to find out what your options are, sooner than later. This is not frivolous, it's getting advice, "just in case." We had to get one a couple of years ago with something similar, with no experience with lawyers...long story short...we won. Lots of documentation from the first day. Get names as well. Good Luck. FR did us right though, hopefully it won't come to litigation. Good Luck!

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #15

Just returned from the Ford dealership. They aligned the front end, even had me take it out for a test drive with the tech before signing off as complete. I was very pleased! Let's see if I get reimbursed....

Mr. G
Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #16

was it out of alignment?
Lancaster NY
Old 08-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #17

Yes the tech spent 2 hrs dialing it in. I'll look on the sheet and let you know what he adjusted. I left it in the MH.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #18

Ok, according to the before & after sheet, everything was off but the Toe & Caster were the worst, chamber was bad but off as well...

Mr. G
Old 08-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #19

Xman, I sent you a private message on where to take you GT for a good alignment check.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #20

These stories will make me think twice before I buy another Ford product!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, warranty