Old 04-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Wasted Space

Ok so sitting here having a cold one after a day of hiking in the Smokies and wondering how I could maximize this space... See picture of where the clock is. I don't need a decorative clock so curious if anyone has converted this area to additional cabinets? To me it seems like a waste of space. Our unit is a 2015 & most 2015 I've seen a TV here however our TV is above the sink...

If your added cabinets or modified this area please send pics? Did you do it yourself?

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459993921.760907.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	104120

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS

Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post
Ok so sitting here having a cold one after a day of hiking in the Smokies and wondering how I could maximize this space... See picture of where the clock is. I don't need a decorative clock so curious if anyone has converted this area to additional cabinets? To me it seems like a waste of space. Our unit is a 2015 & most 2015 I've seen a TV here however our TV is above the sink...

If your added cabinets or modified this area please send pics? Did you do it yourself?

ThanksAttachment 104120

Mr. G

2015 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
Myself, I am scared about making mods. Should you make changes please post here on this thread. The little fella at the bottom of your picture looks so cool.

Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post

In 2015 they moved the TV from that spot to above the sink as you mentioned yours is. Ours is a 2014 and has the TV in that spot where your clock is, cabinets above and below, just like yours. Later model 2015's or early 2016's now have a full door cabinet on the top (look at sales pics for examples). You might be able to order the parts from your dealer to put the full cabinet there but I'd have to assume you'd need to do some cutting.

I've done some wood-based mods in our 2014 GT351, and the hardest thing for me is matching the color of the stain, however I'm pretty close. Where I've done everything though, it's not close enough to other wood to be real noticeable. Building out two doors and getting them to match where you'll be staring at it all the time would be my biggest challenge. However, I do know you could order replacement doors to any in your coach, but probably not custom ones.

I'd suggest looking at pics or visiting a dealer with a newer model with the full doors, take some measurements and see if you could simply remove the two small doors and install 2 larger doors over the entire space. You'd probably need some trim pieces to build it out, but those might not have to match 100%.

Good luck! Interested to see how you make out! I agree it's a waste of space.

BTW, that's a great looking dog!

Tom

2014 Georgetown 351DS, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and an amazing wife!

The Wandering Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #4
Wildland Firefighter

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I know how hard it is to match stain colors. If your thinking cabinet, glass could be an option. Any glass place can cut it to the right size. Clear or tinted? And the glass hinges and push button latches are available most everywhere. Kind of like a curio cabinet. Just saying.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Did they leave the 120V outlet in the cabinet? How about an electric fireplace? It's high but I've seen some made to hang on the walls like pictures.

Charleston SC
3 Boston Terriers, 1 Frenchie
Gonna miss you Toby. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote