Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Water coming out of A.C. return inside coach

I have water coming out of the return on my roof A.C. unit. I read online and it was suggested that pan may be clogged etc. I have got on roof and checked that, I have water running off side of roof, so I can see it's draining. I tried tightening the bolts to make sure I have a good seal with gasket between unit and roof. Don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? It's the atwood 18k equivalent unit on GT3.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_164217.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	143304
Old 07-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Water coming out of A.C. return inside coach

Not familiar with Atwoods but when my Dometic was low on freon it produced excess water and leaked on the inside of my coach.
Is you A/C getting cooling enough for you or have you checked the cooling efficiency?
Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

Yes, it's cooling great. I took the filter out and it seems to have stopped.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:24 AM   #4

Sounds like your coil froze up from low air flow, mine will drip now and then but that is from condensation on the grill, which is pretty normal on a hot humid day

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

I am amazed at just how quickly the filters on my Dometic get dirty with just us two. Mine did the same thing once not too long after we bought the camper maybe the third or fourth weekend outing. The filters were nearly solid with trapped dust!
I clean them before each outing now as even one trip I can see the difference. It's never happened again.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

Check this out: From Attwood manual.
III. CONDENSATION In areas of high humidity, the humid air within the RV will cause “sweating” or condensation in parts of the unit as the humid warm air contacts the colder air discharge system. If this occurs please ensure the following: -Closing all doors, hatches, windows and blinds to limit the ingress of warm humid air - Avoid running the inside fan on LOW or AUTO in such conditions. Running the fan on HI fan speed will result in higher airflow and reduce the tendency to have condensation form.

Has happened to me and turning Hi Fan took care of it.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

On the outside, after removing the plastic cover, can you open the metal cage? Is there a drip tray between the condenser and the cooling fins? If so check the drain on it also. PS. Is your RV level front to rear? Good luck.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrod View Post
I am amazed at just how quickly the filters on my Dometic get dirty with just us two. Mine did the same thing once not too long after we bought the camper maybe the third or fourth weekend outing. The filters were nearly solid with trapped dust!
I clean them before each outing now as even one trip I can see the difference. It's never happened again.
Noticed the same thing on our last trailer. I clean mine when when we get home from each trip now. We usually have 3 adults, 2 GK's, and 2-dogs when we go...filters fill up fast.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #9

Had that happen to me in Orlando on our Atwood too. Just like the previous post, setting the AC to high fan did the trick. The humid Florida air was condensing on the intake side of the fins and dripping on the filter and down to the floor.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

AC Leaking Out Interal Duct

You have my sympathies because I had the same thing happen to me in my Georgetown on a hot, rainy night in St Augustine. Water started dripping out of the bedroom unit. We had to put a catch-pan on the bed and move onto the guest bed.

When I got home I took the cover on the unit off (Dometic) and could find no blockage in the drain spouts that dump the evaporator condensate into the bottom of the cowling or in the holes that allow water to drain out onto the roof. It took it to the shop anyway and they said the serviced it though I an not sure what they did. I don't think they added any freon.

I did not have to problem again with that RV but then I did not experience another night as bad as that one before I sold the rig. I am thinking the claims about running the fan on high (not automatic) when it's really hot and muggy could be the solution since the evaporator could have frozen up and caused more condensation than could escape through the drain system. I have heard that condensation can also build up in the ducts until they reach a certain level and then start bleeding out. Anyway, it's a still somewhat of a mystery.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

Water coming out of A.C.

In last RV I had water dripping out around filter housing and found that dealer had replaced plate under fan to the wrong side. Really messed up air flow and unit froze up quickly. Duh.....
Fergie272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #12

AC Leak in 2016 Forester 3011DS

We at one point had water pouring in our MH through the A/C return in the unit. The Dometic A/C had failed prior to this leak. When I had a local RV dealer who was a Dometic dealer replace the unit under warranty he found that when the factory installed the unit there was a piece of wire laying under the main gasket which prevented a good seal. The water had been leaking into our ceiling for some time. When we finally got a hard rain it came right through the return. My entire ceiling on the inside had to be replaced under warranty through Forest River.
sramidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran RV Owner

Same thing happening on my 2015 GT 328TS. Both AC's are dripping water inside. I live in Florida. I did not think about turning the fan onto high (both AC's are set to "AUX"). So, when I go glamping next Sunday, I will turn the fan to high and see if that fixes the dripping. I don't believe both of my AC's are clogged up, as they were both PDI'ed in January by the dealer.

I just draped a large beach towel over the bed to collect any drips from the bedroom AC, and monitor the floor in the front for water.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran RV Owner

I ran my fans on high yesterday, right after I arrived at my camp site here at Fort Desoto County Park. No dripping! This morning, I am not running the fans and everything looks good.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #15

Thanks for all the feedback. I did take the filter out and it was dirty. I'm surprised at how fast it got dirty too. I cleaned it and had no more issues. Also I had the fan set to auto. I switched to hi. Glad to know how to deal with the issue now.

Tags
water