Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #1

Water Damage Who Pays

Who should be resposible for water damage from what could be a defective
installation of an awning. I notice water seeping in from around the front window pillar on the passenger side and when I checked the ceiling seams water was coming from there also.
I checked all over for what went wrong, the only thing I seen was that the two screws that hold the awning to the top of the roof were loose and that the bracket itself was lifted up about 1/2 an inch. The two screws were able to be pulled out by hand.
Now I'm not sure of the extent of the damage and am very concerned about the cost and the ability of a dealer to fix it and fix it correct.
I have an appointment at the closes dealer for a pressure test on 6/15/10
I will find out then where the water may have come in from and if it turns out it is from the awning bracket...how should I proceed.
By the way FYI I have a 2008 Georgetown XL 378 and aside from this my wife and I have enjoyed this coach very much.
I need help on how to figure out what to do and how to go about it.
Thanks
Joe
JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Knower of Some Things

What was the purchase date of the coach? Are you within your 1 year warranty? If so, Forest River might pay. Otherwise, if you can prove that the screws were partially pulled out/loosened in a wind storm, insurance might pay. If it is a "lack of maintenance" issue, you may be on your own.
Honestly, I'd start with Forest River if you're right around the end of your 1 year, then lean toward insurance.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

We have had it just about 2 years. The roof has been cleaned at least twice and all caulk checked. The only I have notice was the loose screws on the awning bracket. I have already contacted ForestRiver and they know I'm getting it pressure tested on Tuesday 6/15/10 I sent photos of the awning to them and they want to know about the pressure test results. Right now it's raining pretty good here and I am afraid of how bad it may get. I don't have a tarp big enough to cover the whole RV. I did caulk where the screws were and I hope that helps even a little. I also don't know if the wind had something to with it or not and my insurance thinks it's a manufactuer defect.
I just don't know, I can only hope something goes my way and ForestRiver will help out.
Right now I feel I'm behind the old 8 ball....
PumaPro, Thanks for your input...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #4

UPDATE: I had it pressure tested on 6/15/10 and it was the awning bracket where the water was coming in from. The dealer secured the bracket again and then re-caulked it, but the damage was already done. The dealer couldn't tell how much damage was there and suggested it be corrected at the factory. Now I'm going to try and get a hold of Mr. Burns and see if they are going to take care of this. I hope so. The ceiling is loaded with mold.
Wish me luck...... If anyone had anyting like this before, perhaps you can tell me how you handled it.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #5

I have some water damage from a different source, but I will tell you what worked for me. I worked with my dealer's bodyshop manager who requested I send him digital pictures of the damage. He forwarded them to the warranty department at Forest River. The warranty department is broken down by MH, TT, PUP, etc. I called 574-642-2640 and asked for the TT warranty department. I was connected to a rep who reviewed my pictures while I was on the phone and agreed to cover the damage under warranty. Make sure you have your VIN# when you call FR.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

UPDATE 2: Just got off the phone with Mr. Burns and he said if I could find a dealer willing to fix it as locally as possible they would take care of it, or I can schedule an appointment, somewhere around mid to end of July to take it to Elkhart IN. and they would repair it there free of charge, not withstanding
my expenses out and back.
I'm leaning toward going to Elkhart as I feel any dealer would have to figure out what they need then order it and perhaps reorder and waste alot of time. Have any Ideals on which way to go?
Thanks...Joe
Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #7

Mine is going back to the factory. In my case the dealer new even tried to get the work done there, and they have a large body shop there.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Water Damage, Who pays?

If the factory said they will repair it, by all means return it to the factory. I have a friend that has a five year old Motor home. Had a leak in the sky lite over the shower. The place where he purchased it "TRIED" and said it was fixed. Water got into the side wall, wicked into the floor. Really caused a lot of damage over a couple years. Between his insurance, the factory and $9700.00 (split between the factory and ins) it was repaired
with new roof, a large section of flooring under shower, fridge housing, carpet, floor covering vinyl. And a complete outside clean, sealed gel-coat, from the front of coach to the rear. Took the factory a month, but he said it was worth it!

I had rather let the factory make the repairs anytime!!!!!!!

Sid
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDickson View Post
I'm leaning toward going to Elkhart as I feel any dealer would have to figure out what they need then order it and perhaps reorder and waste alot of time. Have any Ideals on which way to go?
Thanks...Joe
I don't trust dealers. Let the factory do it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #10

Thanks to all who answered and gave good advise. Making an appointment and back to factory I go.