Old 09-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Put the o- ring in the canister, not up on the threads. Mine leaks every time if I don't put the o-ring in the canister .

Old 09-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #12

If it is leaking, the problem is in the plastic clear housing threads - not in the filter. I ran my GT for a short while with NO filter inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 09-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

With all the known and re-occuring problems with the filter housings, why would you even want to take a chance on the housing leaking or cracking?
Read about the problems even before we got our Lexi. Very first "modification" I did was to remove the filter. Cut it out and bridged the gap with a piece of pex and two shark-bite push on fittings.
To go one furthur, Forrest River had mounted the housing under the bed in the same little blocked off compartment right next to the distribution panel, and right over all the wiring and connections feeding up into the panel. Could just imigaine what would have happened if the housing had split or leaked. Real smart!!!
Grumpy
Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

Pentek Filter - Thanks lgray!

Thanks lgray for posting the specific info on replacing the FR1 filter with one from FiltersFast.com

The filters are 5 micron (BTW - the blue camco popular filters are 100 microns!). I realize I will need to change the filter every couple of months, so I bought 6!

Total bill for the six filters, the housing and the bracket is not much more than one FR1 filter replacement.

Love this forum!
360TRUE
Old 09-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Thanks lgray for posting the specific info on replacing the FR1 filter with one from FiltersFast.com

The filters are 5 micron (BTW - the blue camco popular filters are 100 microns!). I realize I will need to change the filter every couple of months, so I bought 6!

Total bill for the six filters, the housing and the bracket is not much more than one FR1 filter replacement.

Love this forum!
360TRUE
Glad to help; don't forget to apply many wraps of good thread tape...which was missing from my factory FR1 install.

Even with a 5 micron filter, which will trap just about everything, you should see a noticeable improvement in water flow...better showers, etc.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #16

Put a little lube on the oring and don't tighten as tight as you can!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #17

I had the same problem until I realized there is a large o ring that fits below the plastic threads on the housing itself, I had accidentally dropped it in the grassy side of the yard when changing filters. The filter ring has nothing to do with the leak.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #18

I ignore the water filter completely and prefer to use bottled water for cooking and drinking. Don't trust the water at many RV parks and have no idea what the insides of my fresh water tank looks like after 5 years. Got tired of doing the chlorine treatments. Use gallon jugs for cooking and coffee and small bottles in fridge for drinking. Same at home where we have a well.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Replaced my FR1 with a Pentek, (site below, filter and bracket). It is the same 1/2 inch diameter as FR1. No drilling necessary, the new bracket mounted using the same holes as the FR1. Bought both for less than 1, KW1 replacement filter...the Pentek provides better flow. No leaks in almost three years now. Replacement filters $3.00 to $8.00.

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-1...er-Housing.asp

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-2...ng-bracket.asp
Was the water flow direction the same direction as the FR1 ? I replaced mine with the Pentek 158649 and the direction was opposite. I used two flexible hookups that are used to hook up kitchen faucets to cross over so the flow would be correct.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalyer View Post
Was the water flow direction the same direction as the FR1 ? I replaced mine with the Pentek 158649 and the direction was opposite. I used two flexible hookups that are used to hook up kitchen faucets to cross over so the flow would be correct.
The 158622 has been out of stock otherwise I would have tried it.

Tags
water, water filter