Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Full Time RV'rs.

Water Filter

We have a 2014 GT 378XL. The filter that came with it is the Water Pur FR1.

I have replaced the O ring and this damn thing just wants to leak like crazy now. Yes i have replaced the filter 3 times now and still get a leak (bad) from the inside top where the housing screws into the cap.

Has anyone replaced this POJ with a better type of filter?

I do have a pressure regulator on the post faucet and an external Hydro-Life before the water comes into the coach. I'm at 45psi

TY
Nepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Where did you get the oring?
Old 09-14-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
Full Time RV'rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
Where did you get the oring?
Ordered from local RV dealer (not Camp world)
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #4

Replaced my FR1 with a Pentek, (site below, filter and bracket). It is the same 1/2 inch diameter as FR1. No drilling necessary, the new bracket mounted using the same holes as the FR1. Bought both for less than 1, KW1 replacement filter...the Pentek provides better flow. No leaks in almost three years now. Replacement filters $3.00 to $8.00.

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-1...er-Housing.asp

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-2...ng-bracket.asp
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #5

The o ring needs to be a special one from water pur. Any other o ring will not work . I tried same thing and had a leak . I bought o ring from water pur and had no more problems.
cdbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbobby View Post
The o ring needs to be a special one from water pur. Any other o ring will not work . I tried same thing and had a leak . I bought o ring from water pur and had no more problems.

The O ring is just one of the many issues with the FR1. There have been several posts of them cracking and/or leaking from other areas. Many who have them turn off the water when away from their rig's for fear of flooding.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
Full Time RV'rs.

Thanks for the links.

Ours is located in the outer compartment. We are full time and when we go away in the car i do turn the water off.

I have had this POJ FR1 leak even with the filter out.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Full Time RV'rs.

Quote:
The local RV guy ordered the O rings right from water pur and still leaking.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #9

Water pur has two different o rings. Look at the water pur site and be sure the dealer ordered the correct one for your filter.
cdbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Full Time RV'rs.

Quote:
Water pur has two different o rings. Look at the water pur site and be sure the dealer ordered the correct one for your filter.
It did this the first week we had the coach. Dealer did order both sizes and still leaking. Over a year with the same problem, replace time. On my way to La Mesa RV shortly.

Our 1st FR GT was in the shop for 71 days in 2012. We gave FR a second chance, looks like we may be looking again.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

Put the o- ring in the canister, not up on the threads. Mine leaks every time if I don't put the o-ring in the canister .
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #12

If it is leaking, the problem is in the plastic clear housing threads - not in the filter. I ran my GT for a short while with NO filter inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

With all the known and re-occuring problems with the filter housings, why would you even want to take a chance on the housing leaking or cracking?
Read about the problems even before we got our Lexi. Very first "modification" I did was to remove the filter. Cut it out and bridged the gap with a piece of pex and two shark-bite push on fittings.
To go one furthur, Forrest River had mounted the housing under the bed in the same little blocked off compartment right next to the distribution panel, and right over all the wiring and connections feeding up into the panel. Could just imigaine what would have happened if the housing had split or leaked. Real smart!!!
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #14

Pentek Filter - Thanks lgray!

Thanks lgray for posting the specific info on replacing the FR1 filter with one from FiltersFast.com

The filters are 5 micron (BTW - the blue camco popular filters are 100 microns!). I realize I will need to change the filter every couple of months, so I bought 6!

Total bill for the six filters, the housing and the bracket is not much more than one FR1 filter replacement.

Love this forum!
360TRUE
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Thanks lgray for posting the specific info on replacing the FR1 filter with one from FiltersFast.com

The filters are 5 micron (BTW - the blue camco popular filters are 100 microns!). I realize I will need to change the filter every couple of months, so I bought 6!

Total bill for the six filters, the housing and the bracket is not much more than one FR1 filter replacement.

Love this forum!
360TRUE
Glad to help; don't forget to apply many wraps of good thread tape...which was missing from my factory FR1 install.

Even with a 5 micron filter, which will trap just about everything, you should see a noticeable improvement in water flow...better showers, etc.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #16

Put a little lube on the oring and don't tighten as tight as you can!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #17

I had the same problem until I realized there is a large o ring that fits below the plastic threads on the housing itself, I had accidentally dropped it in the grassy side of the yard when changing filters. The filter ring has nothing to do with the leak.
Watertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #18

I ignore the water filter completely and prefer to use bottled water for cooking and drinking. Don't trust the water at many RV parks and have no idea what the insides of my fresh water tank looks like after 5 years. Got tired of doing the chlorine treatments. Use gallon jugs for cooking and coffee and small bottles in fridge for drinking. Same at home where we have a well.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Replaced my FR1 with a Pentek, (site below, filter and bracket). It is the same 1/2 inch diameter as FR1. No drilling necessary, the new bracket mounted using the same holes as the FR1. Bought both for less than 1, KW1 replacement filter...the Pentek provides better flow. No leaks in almost three years now. Replacement filters $3.00 to $8.00.

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-1...er-Housing.asp

https://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-2...ng-bracket.asp
Was the water flow direction the same direction as the FR1 ? I replaced mine with the Pentek 158649 and the direction was opposite. I used two flexible hookups that are used to hook up kitchen faucets to cross over so the flow would be correct.
msalyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalyer View Post
Was the water flow direction the same direction as the FR1 ? I replaced mine with the Pentek 158649 and the direction was opposite. I used two flexible hookups that are used to hook up kitchen faucets to cross over so the flow would be correct.
The 158622 has been out of stock otherwise I would have tried it.
msalyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter