Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Water Filter Issues

We have had issue after issue with our '14 GT 351ds. The latest is the water filter. We were camping 2 weekends ago and it kept busting off if the water pump was off after a few minutes. Water pours everywhere. My husband took the filter out and the plastic housing and that let us make It through that weekend. This past weekend, we got stopped at a truck stop. I turned on water pump to be able to wash hands, and such. And it busted again. Now every time we turn the pump on within 2 mins, the clear plastic cup busts off. He's tightened it as tight as he possibly can with the o-wrench, but it always busts off. Any others out there dealing with this? And if so, what was the magic fix??

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
We have had issue after issue with our '14 GT 351ds. The latest is the water filter. We were camping 2 weekends ago and it kept busting off if the water pump was off after a few minutes. Water pours everywhere. My husband took the filter out and the plastic housing and that let us make It through that weekend. This past weekend, we got stopped at a truck stop. I turned on water pump to be able to wash hands, and such. And it busted again. Now every time we turn the pump on within 2 mins, the clear plastic cup busts off. He's tightened it as tight as he possibly can with the o-wrench, but it always busts off. Any others out there dealing with this? And if so, what was the magic fix??
Have the dealer replace the whole water filter unit.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

There is another member here having the same issue. He stated that he removed the housing under shore water pressure. That may have caused damage on the housing or the base. Inspect the housing to make sure all the teeth are intact. Also check for cracks on the base.

Contact FR to see if they'll send you a new one. It's easily installed with two hose clamps. We've never had an issue with ours and I have removed/installed a couple of times without pressure in the lines.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Hello Campingmomx4,

I am the other person that was having the same problem. I think I have resolved the issue. I mistakenly over tighten the plastic housing. There is a sweet spot of alignment. I found this out by ordering a whole new unit and Lauren at Forestriver mentioned the the new unit has alignment marks out it to make sure it is align properly. Well I got the new unit and saw the marks and it got me thinking that maybe the old unit was not broken just misaligned. Sure enough I did not tighten the unit to the max, just so you could read the long label centered in the housing. I will try to take a photo and posted to show you the exact position. Since I did this I have not had any problems with the housing falling off. Hope it works for you!
Dennis
Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #5

Remember the replacement filter is open on both ends.
If you buy one with one closed end it will sit high in the clear plastic and not allow it to totally screw on the housing.
Just a thought.
These are the replacement ones I use from Home Depot on my water cartridge.
GE Carbon Replace Filter 2-Pack-FXWTC at The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 039.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	50572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water_Filter.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	50573  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

I had the same issue with my 2013 35QB4. Requested replacement from my dealer with no issues as I was still under warranty. I since then have started carrying a flexible stainless steel 12" PEX connector so that if this happens again I can remove the filter and bypass it with the flexible connector.
Catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

i have a 335DS and mine looks nothing like that. I have a solid white casing and i made the mistake of tossing the filter last fall. I guessed and got a camco filter 40621 that seems to fit and work. No idea what the model is that is actually installed as it has no labeling on it.

Tags
water, water filter