Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #1

Water Filter Problem

Hello Everyone, I am a newbe and I tried to De-winterize my Georgetown XL myself and forgot to trun-off the city water before trying to take off the filter housing to replace the filter. I made the situation worse by actually getting the housing off when under pressure, but now when I put the housing back on and once the system is pressurized for a few minutes sometimes up to 10 minutes or more the housing will come off on its own under the water pressure.

I am wondering if I striped something inside the housing or if it may only be the O-ring at the top of the housing that needs to be replaced. I know it may be hard for anyone to answer this problem question without actually seeing the situation but I thought I would ask before going out and buying a whole new housing.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

sounds like you may have a crack in the bowl or the housing. also I always put a little lube on the o-ring.. maybe vaseline or the like. I would check real close for a hairline crack. doesn't take much to crack that plastic. good luck and let us know how it comes out

Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

Thanks Jerry,

Luckily the housing is not to expensive if I need to replace the whole thing.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgingell View Post
Thanks Jerry,

Luckily the housing is not to expensive if I need to replace the whole thing.
If you screw it on and it falls off it is not the "O" ring it is cracked or striped. You can see what unit I have. I took mine out, if you pay for shipping It's yours. ....... I think they are all the same that FR puts in. I don't know if they use different size housings. Or like you said they don't cost that much. Have no idea what shipping would be. It would probably fit in one those box's that the PO sells "IF IT FITS IT SHIPS"
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Remove it, check for cracks on the bowl, housing and threads. If yours is like ours, it takes a bit of force to remove/install it with the provided wrench. If you have no damage you may not be seating it all of the way in.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #6

Thank you for the support, I will take a closer look at the housing to see if I can see any cracks. I did use the supplied wrench to re-install and remove but after a number of attempts it will just not stay on.

I am going to look into a replacement unit.

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

Check to make sure the bowl still has teeth. You may have damaged them while removing under pressure.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Good news, I think I have resolved the issue!

Originally I mistakenly over tightened the plastic housing. There is a sweet spot of alignment. I found this out by ordering a whole new unit and Lauren at Forestriver mentioned the the new unit has alignment marks out it to make sure it is align properly. Well I got the new unit and saw the marks and it got me thinking that maybe the old unit was not broken just misaligned. Sure enough I did not tighten the unit to the max, just so you could read the long label centered in the housing. I will try to take a photo and post it to show you the exact position. Since I did this I have not had any problems with the housing falling off.

I did not receive an owners manual for the filter and there was nothing in the general Forestriver owners manual mentioning this issue. It would nice to have a more specific owners manual to our model and year RV.

Dennis
Old 04-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Great that you got it repaired,,,, your in the Water !!

Tags
water, water filter