Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

Water Heater

Hello,
We have a Georgetown XL 360 2014-15. We haven't gone out once this summer till now. We had the coach de-winterized a long time ago. When we turned on the hot water it stunk awful. Have never had this problem before. The cold water smells ok. We don't drink the water where ever we go, bring our own. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, when should we have front end aligned? AND Which is best? Baby powder on the slide rubber seals (all seals) or 303 Areospace?

Thank you ahead of time for anyone's help.
Donna from Iowa
Donna from Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sanitize your water system.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "25"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

How do we do that? We are really beginners and try hard to do things. We've only camped in it about 8 times, if that.
Thank you
Old 08-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #4

It does sound like your system has been sitting with water in it. First, leaving water in your hot water heater can produce a rotten smell in the hot water. Empty hot water heater and rinse. Then sanitize your fresh water system by filling your fresh tank with water and one quarter cup household bleach per 15 gallons of water capacity. Then run each faucet till you smell bleach. Once you smell bleach stop and let system sit for at least several hours. I let it sit overnight. Then drain entire system and use only fresh water and run faucets till no bleach smell. You may have to fill freshwater tank more than once. There are numerous Youtube videos to walk you through the process.
Good luck,
Lou
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Thank you so much. We thought we did empty it. DAH, must not have got it all. Again thank you for taking your time to answer.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #6

You can use bleach, but then it smells like bleach. I use a box of baking soda mixed with water. Put it in the system, pump it through and let it sit for an hour. Then flush...and you are all set. The hot water heater if left standing will develop the smell that you are experiencing.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

Thank you also, we are pretty dumb at this yet. One day we MAY learn about this beautiful machine.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #8

We generally don't use our water heater, so I leave it winterized until we decide we want to use it.

When I winterize, I have a procedure to ensure the heater is complete drained, then I run a small amount of antifreeze into the heater to ensure no water is resting on the bottom of the heater tank. This antifreeze also ensures nothing grows inside the tank.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
It does sound like your system has been sitting with water in it. First, leaving water in your hot water heater can produce a rotten smell in the hot water. Empty hot water heater and rinse. Then sanitize your fresh water system by filling your fresh tank with water and one quarter cup household bleach per 15 gallons of water capacity. Then run each faucet till you smell bleach. Once you smell bleach stop and let system sit for at least several hours. I let it sit overnight. Then drain entire system and use only fresh water and run faucets till no bleach smell. You may have to fill freshwater tank more than once. There are numerous Youtube videos to walk you through the process.
Good luck,
Lou

X2. This is the system I've used for 20 years. No residual chlorine smell once you introduce clean non chlorinated water. I have never added anything to my hot water heater after draining.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You can use bleach, but then it smells like bleach. I use a box of baking soda mixed with water. Put it in the system, pump it through and let it sit for an hour. Then flush...and you are all set. The hot water heater if left standing will develop the smell that you are experiencing.
Bleach kills bacteria and Algea, Baking soda does NOT!

Although baking soda is often used a household cleaner, it is ineffective against most bacteria, including salmonella, E. coli. and staphylococcus. If you suspect there has been a contamination of any of these bacteria, ditch the baking soda in favor of a product registered as a disinfectant by the EPA
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater